Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

How much time did the new Morocco coach have in the lead up to the World Cup? They were a dark horse to get out of the group and look how they fared. Not saying it would be guarenteed the same for us at Copa (if we get there), but we can look to that for some hope, I suppose.

It's a great point.

13 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

No new info in that update, but an update this quick into his tenure is a very good sign. Probably being too optimistic, but my between the lines reading of him mentioning Biello and him being aware that they’re still searching for coaches even though he’s a candidate gives me the impression that they’re probably gonna go with someone else.

You aren't looking hard enough. The hints are there!

"To do this, I will be relying on a variety of PErsPectives from soccer experts within and around our sport — includinG players, alUmni, AdministRators and other expert stakeholDers — for theIr cOnsuLtAtion throughout this process."

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Would fit in nicely with our program as of late?

They just have accountants who fiddle stupidly with their money, Messi had problems, many big players, Shakira had a mess being here with Pique. Tons of athletes, even the Youtubers who end up moving to Andorra. The business, legal and accounting class have a weak ethical structure and are always getting into these problems in Spain. And that is fed by the persistent idea that the state is inefficient and does not make adequate use of tax revenue, triggering this disengagement with civil responsibility as expressed in tax filing.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They just have accountants who fiddle stupidly with their money, Messi had problems, many big players, Shakira had a mess being here with Pique. Tons of athletes, even the Youtubers who end up moving to Andorra. The business, legal and accounting class have a weak ethical structure and are always getting into these problems in Spain. And that is fed by the persistent idea that the state is inefficient and does not make adequate use of tax revenue, triggering this disengagement with civil responsibility as expressed in tax filing.

Maybe but you have to take personal responsibility for your tax filings. If you rely on poor advice no matter how motivated, it’s your problem. 

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

Maybe but you have to take personal responsibility for your tax filings. If you rely on poor advice no matter how motivated, it’s your problem. 

In Spain they take part of salary, shift it into "image rights", then send them in fragmented pieces offshore. Some genius accounting, they do it over and over again, and consistently get caught. Then the justice system is soft on them because they are famous. Same happens with singers, actors. Also used to happen in Spain with doping, at a time when a good chunk of pro players were doping (evidence suggests Raul, Guardiola) and they went extremely soft on them or simply shut down any investigations before they could get anywhere. Have to say, most of the fudging with doping was happening in the period before the NT won that Eurocup in 2008.

As for other questions of justice, the Dani Alves case is exceptional, but there are exceptional circumstances that made it possible to proceed against him (when typically that would be swept under the carpet too), most notably, the amazing rigour of the nightclub here in Barcelona in applying their voluntary harassment protocol, they were exemplary. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 weeks later...

The twin Liam Barros Schelotto and the Basque Roddy Arruabarrena had been linked again it seems Canada is after a tried and trusted  continental trend....".get the argie so we can became football streetwise "

6 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

The twin Liam Barros Schelotto and the Basque Roddy Arruabarrena had been linked again it seems Canada is after a tried and trusted  continental trend....".get the argie so we can became football streetwise "

Thankfully we just got rid of the last Rio de la Plata manager in the Liga, Cacique Medina, a complete failure (and arrogant af)

How many Argentine-Uruguay managers are there now in the top 5 leagues in Europe?

*the answer is one, of 98 teams. Same as Armenia. There is one in MLS, not counting Mastroeni. I think the confusion comes from seeing half of Liga MX managed by Argentines and Uruguayans.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 12/6/2023 at 12:12 AM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Christiansen is the dream get imo

Unlikely to happen, but dare to dream right?

From Barca to Panama: How Thomas Christiansen has brought Cruyff’s ideology to CONCACAF

https://theathletic.com/5358257/2024/03/21/thomas-christiansen-panama-nations-league/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=168577

1 hour ago, masster said:

From Barca to Panama: How Thomas Christiansen has brought Cruyff’s ideology to CONCACAF

https://theathletic.com/5358257/2024/03/21/thomas-christiansen-panama-nations-league/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=168577

"In 2023, the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS) included Christiansen in a long list of nominees for the best national team manager,"

i wonder what the criteria is to be a nominee...interesting

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Apparently Herve Renard leaving his position as France women's head coach. 

After the Olympics. Rumoured we had talks and he turned us down. Maybe things have changed. He would certainly be a solid choice. Rather have someone in before then though.

All depends on Saturdays result I guess.

Unless TC is getting looks by club teams, he must know, given the players on the Panama team, there are limits as to how far he can take them. WC 2026 yes, but with an expanded # of teams would that be a real accomplishment? If a club contract is not in the works, Canada offers a much higher ceiling and platform for him.

Have there been any concrete or even vague reports of Christiansen wanting to leave Panama? He’s one of the names that gets thrown around most, but all I can get from that is that it boils down to “Canada might be a better option for him because they’re bigger”. Panama might have limitations based on their talent pool, but it isn’t like we’re seen as a program with no limit or ceiling. He would be a fantastic coach if we can sway him though. Would make Panama a hell or a lot more difficult opponent for the next few years though.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Have there been any concrete or even vague reports of Christiansen wanting to leave Panama? He’s one of the names that gets thrown around most, but all I can get from that is that it boils down to “Canada might be a better option for him because they’re bigger”. Panama might have limitations based on their talent pool, but it isn’t like we’re seen as a program with no limit or ceiling. He would be a fantastic coach if we can sway him though. Would make Panama a hell or a lot more difficult opponent for the next few years though.

Feels like its basically people on this board trying to will it into reality by putting it out there in the universe.

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Unless you're Herdman, and even John kept saying he was under contract to 2026,  I dont think most coaches will put it out there that they want to leave.