Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

34 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Quite the resume. Seems to have many links to Toronto, so I’d say it probably remains the home base for games more often than not. 

Wish her the best, now get us a coach!

I think it speaks more to where much of the corporate base is.

The coaches are generally the ones who have the biggest influence on where the games are held.

Her LinkedIn, FWIW.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alyson-walker-she-her-8275776?trk=people-search-result

Worked for Bell Media’s Olympic Broadcasting consortium for 4 years, executive marketing director for Canadians Olympic Committee from 2010-2014, she’s been with OverActive Media for the last 3 years, looks like it is an esports company. Degrees from
McGill and UoT with a certificate from
HBS. Went to Tuck Acamdey which is a big sports school in New England. Don’t know how this stacks up to other sports exec, but she’s definitely been in the game a long time. Best of luck to her. 

I find the resume fairly meh. Lots of marketing experience which is a plus but doesn’t seem to have experience running anything.  Running a business is very different than running a division of something.  So it’s a big step up for her.  

That being said, I suspect with what they are paying they are not going to find anyone who has loads of experience being the number 1 so it’s likely anyone is going to be somewhat of a leap of faith.

I wish her best of luck.

Edited by An Observer

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I find the resume fairly meh. Lots of marketing experience which is a plus but doesn’t seem to have experience running anything.  Running a business is very different than running a division of something.  So it’s a big step up for her.  

That being said, I suspect with what they are paying they are not going to find anyone who has loads of experience being the number 1 so it’s likely anyone is going to be somewhat of a leap of faith.

I wish her best of luck.

What do you think she's getting paid more or less?

22 hours ago, MtlMario said:

What do you think she's getting paid more or less?

I honestly don’t know.  I do know that many years ago I enquired when they were looking before and they were paying something like $200-250k CAD per year all in.  You probably need to pay closer to $1m to get anyone with an extensive experience managing a company/large organisation (especially if you are looking globally as Canada pays poorly at senior levels in business compared to other G7 countries) and even that would be low for someone in the corporate world when taking into consideration incentives/bonuses, etc.  Someone would perhaps be willing to step down to take a pay cut for a passion project. 

The other alternative is getting someone on the rise who wouldn’t be able to step into a senior leadership role in a company but has huge amounts of promise.  They would be looking at this job as a stepping stone and the 2026 World Cup as a marketing opportunity for themselves.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You'd have to know our total CSA budget to be able to say, then look how the rest of CSA staff is tiered.

What I was hoping is if they spent big $ on her maybe they'll do the same with the new coach.🙏

Edited by MtlMario

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

What I was hoping is if they spent big $ on her maybe they'll do the same with the new coach.🙏

I think we, like most federations, are willing to pay coaches outlier salaries, but the rest is usually well adjusted so the whole team is in line. 

I'd like to be able to pay a coach and his team a million and a half, but if we can't guarantee 14 games a year for the guy then it's a bit of a waste.

7 hours ago, PastPros said:

It's easier to say who it SHOULDN'T be... that list would very long.

My vote is @An Observer or @spitfire.

Lol sorry I’m booked as gaffer on a  tv drama in Manchester for the next 6 months …🤣🤣

I do feel so positive to be honest with the players we have if we get the right coach who can really get the most out of them….

Herdman did a great job getting them to this point we just need someone to take them to the next level…

16 hours ago, Shway said:

In comes Bev Priestman as head coach, and Canada makes history and shows how truly receptive to change we are!

Something people should bear in mind is that the CSA are unlikely to hire someone on more money than Bev Priestman is earning because they are unlikely to be able to do covertly what Colin Lindford foolishly felt able to say out loud even if they wanted to, which is almost certainly not the case given who holds the president and general secretary posts. Mauro Biello may not be out of the running yet in other words.