Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Laugh all you want, but the Chiringuito hosted by Josep Pedrerol is one of the most popular sports tv shows in Spain. I think it's trash, the style is what you see, it's rancid as hell. But they are not always wrong.

They copied that format from the 80's and 90's soccer Argentinian TV shows. " Polemics in the football pitch " and " Hot football Stands ". Polemica en el fútbol y Tribuna Caliente , and the Irish football show from RTE with John Giles , Liam Brady and Eammonn Dunphy and some anchorman,  they were ready for the craic,  I don't remember the name of the TV show but something like Rte Football 

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

They copied that format from the 80's and 90's soccer Argentinian TV shows. " Polemics in the football pitch " and " Hot football Stands ". Polemica en el fútbol y Tribuna Caliente , and the Irish football show from RTE with John Giles , Liam Brady and Eammonn Dunphy and some anchorman,  they were ready for the craic,  I don't remember the name of the TV show but something like Rte Football 

Dude, if you don't know who Pedrerol is and never watched tv in Spain in the 80s and 90s, why are you even talking?

The roots of el Chiringuito are in Spanish radio programs dedicated to sports. The icon of overstated bombastic football journalism was Jose María García on COPE, with a forced diction and manipulating like hell, apart from being a shill for Real Madrid; he operated like a mafia capo basically, they just did a tv series on his legacy as he's still alive. But it's unbearable.

If we had a few of these in Canada that'd enable us to answer "Is Canada a Soccer Nation" affirmatively, you have to have the accompanying trash journalism to be able to a true nation of any sport.

I was surprised to watch Mexican programs during qualifying with this style, extremely hysterical, overstated, superficial and poor analysis. I think the Mexicans think they are rivals to the Argentines--and as a cultural powerhouse they are, like in publishing, music, literature. Sure, the Argentines can be overstated, sexist and biased of course, and there are famous idiots; but the best tend to actually understand football extremely well and can analyse it beautifully, there is descriptive even literary quality, and demand for the game to be played properly, nicely; and then severe but well-directed criticism when things don't work. So I am hard on Javier but at least acknowledge an Argentine or Uruguayan has reason to be proud of their football mentality.

The Mexicans on tv, I have found in recent years like during qualifying, are poor at self analysis, now that the national team is struggling they are completely at a loss, they have the tone and the pose but lack strong football understanding. They fall into the same erroneous traps, and if an entire culture is like that, you are not going to improve. Mexico is a good case of this, they can't talk themselves ouot of their football hole. I know this is a generalisation, there are literary giants like Juan Villoro, recommend God is Round. But Villoro really analyses football culture, its packaging and extras, not the game itself.

As I say, the more variations of football journalism we have in Canada the better, even having Westhead muckraking with his exclusives from the NT players, entirely unethical, or Wheeler with instructions it seems to go over the top and stay there, are good signs. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I imagine at his level he has all the money he wants- if it was about money there are 20 Saudi Arabian jobs that would pay him triple Brazil’s salary, and if he does want one final score, he can coach us through 2026, take a one year contract in KSA for €20M Euros and retire in ‘27.

As far as non-Brazilian coaches, per what I found, they had an Argentinian manager manage one friendly in 1965,  before that, a Portuguese manager (who played his career as a player and ref all in Brazil) co-managing two games in 1945, and prior to that a Uruguayan coach co-managed the team during the 1925 South American championship. Things are different now of course, but it’s been nearly 60 years since they’ve had a non-Brazilian manager, and over the last century they seem to have played only one single game under a non-Brazilian head coach without a co-manager. Ancelotti is special, but does Brazil want to trust a foreig manager with the fate of their program? The yellow shirt has always been a Brazilian nationalist symbol, even more so over the last decade, so I think there will be a significant contingent of fans who want the job to go to a Brazilian. 

It’s different for us, but I can’t imagine Canada’s hockey team hiring an American coach, no matter now successful he is. We went into last world championship with the coyotes head coach and I am positive there are much better non-Canadian head coaches who they could’ve called, but when you’re the best of the best, you try and keep it local.

Spain has never really had a non-Spanish coach, like there was an Englishman for a single game almost a hundred years ago; then Kubala who was nationalised after defecting from Hungary. But basically, never. 

I think Brazil should have the same mentality, the great footballing nations just have to have nationals coaching their national teams, it seems basic.

I'm not just saying this because I'd be thrilled to see Ancellotti running Canada.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 1 month later...

BIELLO has crashed the Canadian football bus.  

I watched some bits over one soccer ,  and the 3 " experts " were uninspiring,  no football experts where are the Radzinskis Imhoff's Peschisolidos Yallops Friends De Jong's Josh Simpsons Kuklowskis of life ?   Without real football pundits you  can't improve football knowledge for public domain.  

News today says Real Madrid will offer the coaching job to De Zerbi, that they won't renew him.

I'd like to see us going for Ancellotti at this point. I know that there was the Brazil speculation, and now Brazil just lost at home and is not doing well that could pick up. So he may still have good options, or he could think that doing the next few years with Canada would be a good challenge. We'd have to pay him double Herdman, which would still be low for him. 

I am irritated we could be hanging on with no coach decision before March, but if we do make Copa, at least we could have him come in fresh end of season and see what that might get us.

4 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

I watched some bits over one soccer ,  and the 3 " experts " were uninspiring,  no football experts where are the Radzinskis Imhoff's Peschisolidos Yallops Friends De Jong's Josh Simpsons Kuklowskis of life ?   Without real football pundits you  can't improve football knowledge for public domain.  

Don't worry, we have CPL veteran Jordan Wilson to give us all his insight!  

God I miss Kristian Jack.

4 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Of the things wrong with soccer in Canada, our punditry is pretty far down the list of things to rectify.  

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

News today says Real Madrid will offer the coaching job to De Zerbi, that they won't renew him.

I'd like to see us going for Ancellotti at this point. I know that there was the Brazil speculation, and now Brazil just lost at home and is not doing well that could pick up. So he may still have good options, or he could think that doing the next few years with Canada would be a good challenge. We'd have to pay him double Herdman, which would still be low for him. 

I am irritated we could be hanging on with no coach decision before March, but if we do make Copa, at least we could have him come in fresh end of season and see what that might get us.

It is probably super naive but this is still my ultimate dream.  It would be so essential to improving the program that I would make it a top priority to court him if there was any signal it was actually feasible.  We need someone who can read a game, optimize our talents, and make the kind of adjustments that avoid collapses and stumbles.   

39 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I miss KJ too, but Jordan Wilson gets it right more often than not, especially in his assessment of the play last night.

As for the manager, we need the General Secretary first… are they going to make De Vos permanent?  Pitter, patter…

Edited by TOcanadafan

4 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I mean, we would have beaten Jamaica if it was a one off playoff match, so this is a little hyperbolic. 

Definitely hope we get a new coach in for this though… 

Based on the hero ball I saw in the second half of last night's match, I'm not so sure that we're winning.

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

After re-watching the half time comments, I doubt that Jack would have been any different in his viewpoints of the first half but the praise Moscato and Wilson gave to Biello's leadership and coaching didn't age well!

Edited by BearcatSA

I dont really blame Biello for the loss. It basically came down to Eustaquio & Kone getting caught in possession and a fluke handball. I thought Biello did a good job and those things didn't have anything to do with him

But...

What are people's thoughts on him subbing in all 3 players at once? I'm not a big fan of mass substitutions as well as potententially staggering the subs to help kill the game. Going by memory was it a 70 mins? I'm also pretty sure we were winning 1-0 or winning still on agg. At the time I raised my eyebrow with that decision 

Edited by SpursFlu

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I dont really blame Biello for the loss. It basically came down to Eustaquio & Kone getting caught in possession and a fluke handball. I thought Biello did a good job and those things didn't have anything to do with him

But...

What are people's thoughts on him subbing in all 3 players at once? I'm not a big fan of mass substitutions as well as potententially staggering the subs to help kill the game. Going by memory was it a 70 mins? I'm also pretty sure we were winning 1-0 or winning still on agg. At the time I raised my eyebrow with that decision 

The subs were when the game was tied 2-2 IIRC, so yes, we were ahead on aggregate. I agree, staggered subs would have been better.

Edited by johnyb

I don't really blame Biello either. Whomever takes over is going to have to accept that these kids want to attack, and try to somehow make them a bit less naive without undoing the whole culture. All that said, I feel like if Piette was sitting behind Staq and Kone we might have had a different fate in the 2nd. 

Unrelated question: I haven't had the heart to go through the game thread... Why, in the 99th minute, was David not in the box? Is his confidence so shot he wants to be a full back?