Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

10 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

If an argie or Uruguayan is hired don't hesitate, those dual lads will abide,  don't know the status of Tomori since he played for the English ,  on Vitoria the guy is over 36 maybe in his last senior year good leader but time is a sword,  Realistically a roplatense coach will finalize with younger defenders ,  and a back 4,  that make sense on Fraser as center back,  in the near future for international football,  oh. Ah.  Paul McGrath !!!! 

I was being tongue and cheek but your suggestions are nonsense. 

Why would duals care about an argentinian or uruguayan manager as the sole consideration of which nation they choose. nonsense.

As for your roster, we all vitoria is aging out. I agree, getting younger is better and likely a back 4 at some point. Why any manager would pick 4 LCB, 1 RCB and 1DM playing CB is beyond me. You're lineup is so unbalanced. Fraser is slow, not great aerially and weak defensively 1v1. There is no reason why we should ever select a squad where we drop ZMG, Bombito, Vitoria, Nimick, stefanovic, Waterman and cornelius to accomodate fraser at CB (Based on current form). 

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder why- TFC is playing a bad NYRB and then an even worse Charlotte team over the next two games and is playing a very good Orlando team to close the season out. You'd think a few games against theoretically beatable teams would be a good way to start his career off.

How did Herdman start as our NT coach? Doing nothing or next to it. His first survival tactic was to avoid being judged, it was 70% spin disguised as inspiration and mindset, and 30% being a soccer coach. Just the opposite of Zambrano who made the grave error of trying to fulfill his job description and burned or fizzled out fast.

Herdman actually benefited from our habitual lack of friendlies. Everything fell into slumberland mode, he was both the evil fairy who pricked princess CSAs finger and the good fairy that wouldn't let her die. Then he played the handsome prince who woke the hidden beauty from her slumber and took her to Qatar, which must be the name of his castle. Herdman could play all these roles because that's just who he is.

I've worked for various managers like this, they may or may not be competent, but just in case they manage large parcels of nothing or fluff for a few years, knowing the middle managers and drones will keep things going. Especially at NGOs and governmental agencies. No important decisions to start with. Stay in the job and speak well at AGMs and to the press.

Anyways, what's the most matches Herdman has coached in a calendar year? 16…18? Maximum days in a locker room or training, maybe 70? His average yearly games since he signed for Canada's women, maybe 8-9?

It's not like he has a high work rate. He's a miracle worker with a whimsical pace. Getting right into it? That's not the guy TFC hired, why do folks expect that suddenly the guy is going to change?

6 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I was being tongue and cheek but your suggestions are nonsense. 

Why would duals care about an argentinian or uruguayan manager as the sole consideration of which nation they choose. nonsense.

As for your roster, we all vitoria is aging out. I agree, getting younger is better and likely a back 4 at some point. Why any manager would pick 4 LCB, 1 RCB and 1DM playing CB is beyond me. You're lineup is so unbalanced. Fraser is slow, not great aerially and weak defensively 1v1. There is no reason why we should ever select a squad where we drop ZMG, Bombito, Vitoria, Nimick, stefanovic, Waterman and cornelius to accomodate fraser at CB (Based on current form). 

Mate ,  Never heard of Mascherano or any mid player from the deck?, Maybe Waterman alright but a back 4 is what Canada needs here.   The duel nationality know how a football nation we are,   it is not a mistake that your association is looking for a. Streetwise Argentinean/ uruguayan,  

8 hours ago, blueseeka said:

it just looks like Herdman doesn't want a bunch of losses on his record. weird

Yeah, he'd rather take some time off and stay clear of this dumpster fire. Meanwhile the team gets to announce his signing (and Seba training) at ticket renewal time, convenient.

If this is a typical TFC appointment he'll spend less time as actual coach than as coach-in-waiting

On 10/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, JamboAl said:

I’m surprised it hasn’t been announced yet.  

On 10/2/2023 at 1:54 PM, Stoppage Time said:

Does this provide the CSA with an opportunity to hire a new slate of staff coaches, or is that the "job" of the new manager? 

On 10/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, Kadenge said:

So who is Biello's assistant coaches for the Japan game/camp? The youth coaches?

Biello said in a interview about 10 days ago (not sure when or where he said it) that he would name his assistant coachs  real soon.

Edited by MtlMario

10 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Mate ,  Never heard of Mascherano or any mid player from the deck?, Maybe Waterman alright but a back 4 is what Canada needs here.   The duel nationality know how a football nation we are,   it is not a mistake that your association is looking for a. Streetwise Argentinean/ uruguayan,  

Fraser is not mascherano. Canada isnt barca. You can literally say any DM would fit the bill if youre drawing positional comparisons to mascherano.  

Im not against a back 4 but the answer is not fraser and miller at CB. We would get roasted in central america.  Mascherano worked because he has world class players around him and barca have 70% of the ball on perfect pitches. 

Fraser chasing down long balls or defending set pieces and crosses is not what we need in hondourous. 

A Canada Team under a rioplatense would be something like in the LONG RUN

.....................Crepeau................

Ally  McNau.   Miller Kennedy

Davies    Etaquio   Shfbrg

David 

Curbeanu.           Buchanan

Edited by JAVIERF

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

David 

3 cbs,
1 cm,
4 wingers
1 striker
1 rb

I honestly dont think any team ever has played a formation like this. 

I thought people were upset when we lined up with only 2 CM's, I cant wait to see what happens when we play with only one. 

3 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

David 

Davies and Schaff as dual 8s?

6 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Fraser is not mascherano. Canada isnt barca. You can literally say any DM would fit the bill if youre drawing positional comparisons to mascherano.  

Im not against a back 4 but the answer is not fraser and miller at CB. We would get roasted in central america.  Mascherano worked because he has world class players around him and barca have 70% of the ball on perfect pitches. 

Fraser chasing down long balls or defending set pieces and crosses is not what we need in hondourous. 

Mascherano converted to CB is one of the most miraculous positional transitions in 21st century football. At his height, it was truly outstanding to watch. But you're right we're not going to replicate that with anything we have, unless someone thought Kone should learn CB too. Normally If you're going to a shorter stockier CB it's still an Ayala or Puyol or even Cannavaro type.

Apart from that, have to say Masche's a very intelligent guy, and extremely polite and pleasant, I admire him greatly and I'd love for him to have a successful coaching career.

We tend to play the best flair players around to slow the tempo ,  a solid back four ,  and in mindset it is a 4-5-1 interchangeable.  Then Larin/ Caballini / Jebbison and the other big lad at Cardiff from the bench.  

This is how a southamerican could sort this team out, since Canada is better from the sides and from attacking perspective,  a southamerican would play a solid back four with  Johnston -Davies and Corbeanu from the sides.  Plus Corbeanu - Buchanan are quite similar , will open up from a lurking #10,  Jonnie David

Edited by JAVIERF

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw that, surprised there is a LinkedIn post for the job.  But, I suppose you cast as wide a net as you can.

My 2 cents - find someone who has NO experience in the Canadian soccer universe. Someone who carries a great track record of success in something (some kind of not for profit business likely), can listen, objectively analyze, understand what a growing and sustainable enterprise looks like and is feverish about execution.  But NO Canadian soccer experience. 

16 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I predict that if we win the tie in November then Biello is the full time coach come Copa America. If we lose in November then nothing will change, and he will still be the interm coach.

So its a win:win situation for Biello   :)

Btw  Hungary have been getting some incredible results over the past 2 yrs. Not sure if their coach Marco Rossi has been with them during the entire period, but if you look at their squad you have to think he has been a difference maker.

On 10/15/2023 at 1:53 PM, Kadenge said:

So its a win:win situation for Biello   :)

Btw  Hungary have been getting some incredible results over the past 2 yrs. Not sure if their coach Marco Rossi has been with them during the entire period, but if you look at their squad you have to think he has been a difference maker.

He gave up his career in the NHL? He had such a promising future.

Joking aside, he has been  Hungry's coach since June 2018 so yeah he has been there during the entire period.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:36 PM, narduch said:

How fast can we hire the new manager?

We should all pitch in financially to get one soon, if only to shut Javier up.

What is even more ridiculous, is that Argentines have sharply divergent managerial models and often there are extreme divisions between camps, with deepset rivalries between one coaching manner and another. And going on for decades. At least since the Menotti-Bilardo rift. So the mere suggestion that there is an Argentine (or Uruguayan, which is why he says "rioplatense") way of doing things is something any Argentine footie fan would realise is false. 

Fact is, Argentina has a rich tactical and strategic football culture, and the pundits are very smart, but they can radically disagree and the emnity can be brutal. So you can never say you want an Argentine, you can only say you want one type, to the detriment of another.