Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

I was going through FIFA's top 50 rankings, and looking at the head coaches and where they are from and I found some interesting findings. 86% of the head coaches were native or played for the nation they are coaching.

The only coaches in Europe (in the top 50) to not have a native coach is Belgium, Hungary, Slovakia, and Turkey. Only Belgium was in the WC - and they bombed. 

50% of those non native coaches are coached by an Argentinian. (Chile, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Colombia, Uruguay). 

It seems as if there is an unwritten rule for a lot of federations to employ "one of their own".

Somebody mentioned Alen Marcina, and it had me thinking... of all the Canadian "active" managers from the list below, who would be the most ideal.

Alen Marcina
Marc Dos Santos
Mauro Biello
Frank Yallop
Bobby Smyrniotis 
Marc Watson
Jason Bent
Jim Brennan

....The list is very thin

Wilfred Nancy has Canadian citizenship I believe 

Twitter and other social networks are carrying a strong rumor of the resignation of the Spanish-Danish coach of the Panama team Thomas Christiansen, who would have received an offer in a "better destination." For now, it is just a rumor, and we are waiting for official information from Fepafut or from Christiansen himself.

Will Canada be in Thomas Christiansen's sights?

Panama has considerably improved its soccer performance in the area since TC arrived and it would be a surprise and a strong blow to the development of local soccer if he resigned.

Trasciende salida de Thomas Christiansen de la Selección de Panamá - Futbol Centro America

I don't think the communication factor is as problematic as one may make it out to be. I don't see how an interpreter would not be deemed as an ample solution. Did you see Herve Renard's halftime speech to the Saudi players when they beat Argentina? He sure as hell got his message across through an interpreter. That was one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history and I'm sure Saudi's regard that as being one of the best halftime speeches of all time and it was in a different language. In fact, I think many people, not just Saudi's, would consider that one of the best and most memorable halftime speeches in sport, not just at a World Cup. So, the language barrier can be overcome and that would help us broaden our list of candidates who can help us address and remedy our needs.

Identifying a pressing void that needs to be addressed could help guide us in appointing a certain type of manager. One position or area that we are seriously lacking in, as mentioned, is the creative midfielder department. Countries thoughtfully identify and rigourously develop players who have the talent and/or potential to occupy the role of trequartista/media atacante/enganche. WE DO NOT HAVE THIS OR DO THIS. We need to start NOW and we need to learn how to do this, in my opinion. Some may argue that we neglect the role for now and use formations and tactics that play to our current strengths, but we would just be delaying the inevitable need to address the gap. If there's a country that is obsessed with the #10 it's, you guessed it, the Argies. Historically, the enganche was almost always on the game sheet, but modern football has altered its demand. Nonetheless, they still quintessentially produce this type of player down the assembly line. But, whether it's an Argentinian or not we need a coach and staff who knows how to identify, develop and cultivate this type of player so we can include it on our team and instill it in our program. 

Edited by RojitoTO

8 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Twitter and other social networks are carrying a strong rumor of the resignation of the Spanish-Danish coach of the Panama team Thomas Christiansen, who would have received an offer in a "better destination." For now, it is just a rumor, and we are waiting for official information from Fepafut or from Christiansen himself.

Panama has considerably improved its soccer performance in the area since TC arrived and it would be a surprise and a strong blow to the development of local soccer if he resigned.

Trasciende salida de Thomas Christiansen de la Selección de Panamá - Futbol Centro America

Christianson categorically denies the rumors:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/spa/fútbol-panamá_thomas-christiansen-dice-que-quieren-desestabilizar-a-panamá-con-rumores-sobre-su-renuncia/48834636

Screenshot_20230923_000737_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb5439ccbe445ba25b67bfa6cccb62ca.jpgScreenshot_20230923_000816_Chrome.jpg.fcbd97d67eb5f0cd8302d848e970a827.jpg

5 hours ago, RojitoTO said:

Identifying a pressing void that needs to be addressed could help guide us in appointing a certain type of manager. One position or area that we are seriously lacking in, as mentioned, is the creative midfielder department. Countries thoughtfully identify and rigourously develop players who have the talent and/or potential to occupy the role of trequartista/media atacante/enganche. WE DO NOT HAVE THIS OR DO THIS. We need to start NOW and we need to learn how to do this, in my opinion. Some may argue that we neglect the role for now and use formations and tactics that play to our current strengths, but we would just be delaying the inevitable need to address the gap. If there's a country that is obsessed with the #10 it's, you guessed it, the Argies. Historically, the enganche was almost always on the game sheet, but modern football has altered its demand. Nonetheless, they still quintessentially produce this type of player down the assembly line. But, whether it's an Argentinian or not we need a coach and staff who knows how to identify, develop and cultivate this type of player so we can include it on our team and instill it in our program. 

I think you're spot on. What you didn't mention is that typically the #10 is the best player on the field. But I also know historically and culturally Canada doesn't produce this kind of player. In my 15 years of watching the men's and youth teams I can only think of a few players who have fit that role/played that style, and it's Osorio(barely), and Aleman (they both happen to be Latin-Canadian)

What you're suggesting needs to be done at grassroots, or implemented into younger ynt because our best players have always been attackers. So much so, that some get converted to defenders. Even today, this is still true.

So unless an Argentine coach is going to find us a #10 out of nowhere then great, but based on everything you said, that style coach wouldn't fit our current personnel, and if that's what we are hiring  based on, then we need a coach from France. 

Edited by Shway

As it stands it is a gosdip-rumour of 4 coaches 3 from. Our shore the other one from the land of our political mentor after Peron's death, the Pepe Mujica.  That's all I've got so far,  but it makes sense from the latest fracas of the camps,  an Argentine or Uruguayan will end up those riots and will improve team morale 

On 9/23/2023 at 12:56 AM, xabuep2 said:

He's an excellent fit for us on a lot of levels.

On 9/22/2023 at 2:34 PM, narduch said:

Kloke pushing Smyrniotis as the Herdman replacement.

I'm all for the Bobby love, but this reads like a Herdman hit piece with a lot of revisionist history.

I know Herdman wasn't perfect but a lot of media have conveniently left out certain facts and/or context in order to concoct their narratives ever since the TFC rumours began and it's so weird to me.