Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think he will be able to get as much out of them as Herdman could if he hadn’t left.   He couldn’t match the inertia of early WCQ.  That was unbelievable - but we left that positive energy in the rear view mirror a long time ago.  

I just want to get the best person we can for Copa and WC2026. If taking a few months to do a proper recruitment process helps accomplish that, I am all for it.  

That's true.  Still feel making Copa is a must and has to happen.  Better hope Biello can make it happen.

If there truly is turmoil in the change room...keeping Biello in charge would be a detriment.

CSA needs to hire someone new, someone good, and that man fast!

We're on a downward spiral, and some upcoming results could be vital to that stopping. 

Copa isn't guaranteed. And could be lost by the end of this year!

Edited by Shway

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

If their truly is turmoil in the change room...keeping Biello in charge would be a detriment.

CSA needs to hire someone new, someone good, and that man fast!

We're on a downward spiral, and some upcoming results could be vital to that stopping. 

Copa isn't guaranteed. And could be lost by the end of this year!

Worst case we get knocked down to the playoff next spring, but yes agreed. The sooner we can hire someone, the better. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

What do Montreal fans think of his tenure in charge of the team? By the numbers he's the longest tenured manager in Impact/CFM history, and only Nancy and small-sample Losada have been more successful on a PPG basis.

This is going back a while, will do my best.... I was disappointed with the assignment originally, seemed obvious and part of Saputo's click.  He had been groomed for a while as assistant, so we knew it was coming.  If I remember correctly, it started well.  He was using a good formation and rotation, the players seemed happy.  He shut up the detractors pretty quick.  I think he managed through the Drogba and Tabla phase, so that was by no means easy.  Drogba was attracting lots of negative attention towards the end (not 100% if that was while Biello was still in charge, but I think it was) that situation alone must've been a massive test, but most people supported Biello when Drogba was seeing less time.  The Tabla drama was rough cause the media and supporters where dying to see more, the questions never ended.  It seemed to have been the right decision since every coach after Biello did the exact same thing.  I feel he did the best he could with the team and the situation.  He got a bad deal looking back, but given the situation, Saputo didn't really have a choice at the time.  Kinda like Herdman, it was time.  Sometimes that just happens in a coaches tenure, just like all relationships.  He's been assistant for quite a few different coaches and styles, so I feel he's at least well versed in that sense.

I've shared the field with him and had beers with him, yet he's not a friend, so no bias here.  He's an intelligent man, was a successful player.  Passionate, hard working and very level headed.  He's a good listener.  I feel his goal output and having managed Drogba gives him some street cred.  He's captained at times as well, so that also shows leadership qualities.

Once again, I might be making mistakes in the timeline and results.  This is just how I remember it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/five-possible-candidates-to-replace-john-herdman-as-canadian-mens-head-coach/

not sure I have heard Nancy’s name mentioned here. Considering our budget constraints, he and Christiansen would be my leading candidates. Of course, there is always the good possibility someone applies with a better pedigree that we haven’t even thought of or an Ancelotti wants it as a passion project at the end of his career.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

What do Montreal fans think of his tenure in charge of the team? By the numbers he's the longest tenured manager in Impact/CFM history, and only Nancy and small-sample Losada have been more successful on a PPG basis.

My opinion is that he’s not a really exciting coach and doesn’t bring anything spécific to the table. 

He’s not a good tactician. With Montreal, he took over after Klopas who was a good coach (final of the CCL) but everyone hated him (I know that from a family member who’s a journalist for RDS). Biello was a good successor initialy, he kept the system and always seemed like a good guy well liked by the players. Because of that he had really good results and the team was motivated under him. 

I say he’s not a good tactician because he never evolved from Klopas’s system and when the league adjusted he wasn’t able to bring the necessary changes. His teams where also bad at defending corner kicks for all his tenure. 

https://www.ledevoir.com/sports/511079/l-impact-montre-la-porte-a-l-entraineur-chef-mauro-biello?

He did some good things, the players liked him, he had great results in the playoffs (TFC) and he wasn’t afraid to make big decisions (benching Drogba for Mancosu). 

Since then, his work with the U23 and U20 teams wasn’t convincing. 

5 hours ago, SF said:

2022 financial statements have been released and are on the CSA website (to the credit of the CSA). The admin/meetings line item is $3.9mm.

I have no inside knowledge, but I can promise you that drawing conclusions from one expense line item is pointless. There are probably and literally 100 different expense types buried in that number.

The meta point is that the CSA has, from a business/financial perspective, managed itself into the ground.

Yes, you can slice & dice it many ways.

For example, 2022 admin expenses in percentage terms of total expenses is the lowest it has been since 2015. While 2020 was the highest at 27% of total expenses for understandable reasons.

The good news was that the past year was the first time Canadian sports media really reported on the financial side of Canada Soccer. The bad news was that most of it was superficial, incorrect and/or misleading.

That's because there are no sports business reporters in Canada. The limited number of Canadian football media weren't up to speed and/or not interested in the business side of football. Their focus was first on the World Cup.

The general sports media lack of experience in covering football and finances meant their reporting was easily influenced by other factors especially in terms of who was feeding them info. They lacked the football industry expertise to put these disclosures in context or refute them when needed.

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I may be a naive optimist but I don’t read the tea leaves the same way.  They are about to put in place a head coach who will (hopefully) still be in place to lead us into a home World Cup - which will raise the profile (and scrutiny) of soccer in this country to unprecedented levels.  That isn’t a decision they will want to rush into - especially with all the multi-layered bullshit of the last 12 months.  They have been called in front of a Parliamentary Committee to answer to perceived incompetence.  The last thing they want to do is publicly fall on their face with arguably the biggest coaching appointment in our history.   IMO, not rushing this decision shouldn’t be construed as anything other than appropriate caution.  

They got called in front of a Parliamentary Committee because some individuals thought they could take some political stance on it. In particular, Liberal MPs and Minister St. Onge were more than happy to provide a distraction to their own government's increasing incompetence.

All that St Onge got was to be promoted to the Heritage cacca pile that Pablo the Drunk left behind, as evidence of how she's handled the social media profile so far.

As for Horsefacker, all that work was trying to prove that kissing Trudeau's rear would have some benefit. Instead, he got nothing out of it and saw another PM favorite get into cabinet after winning a by-election.

As for the new sports minister, it was hardly effective when she already had held the position previously. Watchers already have considered her return as a form of demotion.

The NDP was all social justice on this and got a deserved nothingburger as a result.

2 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

My opinion is that he’s not a really exciting coach and doesn’t bring anything spécific to the table. 

He’s not a good tactician. With Montreal, he took over after Klopas who was a good coach (final of the CCL) but everyone hated him (I know that from a family member who’s a journalist for RDS). Biello was a good successor initialy, he kept the system and always seemed like a good guy well liked by the players. Because of that he had really good results and the team was motivated under him. 

I say he’s not a good tactician because he never evolved from Klopas’s system and when the league adjusted he wasn’t able to bring the necessary changes. His teams where also bad at defending corner kicks for all his tenure. 

https://www.ledevoir.com/sports/511079/l-impact-montre-la-porte-a-l-entraineur-chef-mauro-biello?

He did some good things, the players liked him, he had great results in the playoffs (TFC) and he wasn’t afraid to make big decisions (benching Drogba for Mancosu). 

Since then, his work with the U23 and U20 teams wasn’t convincing. 

Appears that Galendo disagrees:

Having worked closely with Biello in two men's national team camps, I can confidently say he's a tactically intelligent and detail-oriented coach who can pick up where Herdman left off.

2 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

Just want to point out he's some years older and some years wiser (we hope) since his time at the helm of Montreal.

That said, a leopard (or cheetah)  can't change it's spots.  It is what it is. 

21 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Having worked closely with Biello in two men's national team camps, I can confidently say he's a tactically intelligent and detail-oriented coach who can pick up where Herdman left off.

Well that might be a problem.  If Herdman is viewed as tactically deficient to begin with, picking up from where he left of does not inspire confidence in Biello's tactical acumen.

7 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Galendo is now teetering the line between writer/journalist and team staff member and he hasn't been a part of the staff, or any team staff for that matter, long enough for this opinion he has to carry much weight. How much experience does he have working with coaches on and off the pitch? Also, he wants to promote his candidacy for working with the national team coaching staff and so is he going to criticize Biello or support him? His journalistic integrity is compromised. 

58 minutes ago, RojitoTO said:

Galendo is now teetering the line between writer/journalist and team staff member and he hasn't been a part of the staff, or any team staff for that matter, long enough for this opinion he has to carry much weight. How much experience does he have working with coaches on and off the pitch? Also, he wants to promote his candidacy for working with the national team coaching staff and so is he going to criticize Biello or support him? His journalistic integrity is compromised. 

He obviously isn't going to burn bridges now.

I'm sure he wants to be invited back. 

9 hours ago, DoyleG said:

They got called in front of a Parliamentary Committee because some individuals thought they could take some political stance on it. In particular, Liberal MPs and Minister St. Onge were more than happy to provide a distraction to their own government's increasing incompetence.

All that St Onge got was to be promoted to the Heritage cacca pile that Pablo the Drunk left behind, as evidence of how she's handled the social media profile so far.

As for Horsefacker, all that work was trying to prove that kissing Trudeau's rear would have some benefit. Instead, he got nothing out of it and saw another PM favorite get into cabinet after winning a by-election.

As for the new sports minister, it was hardly effective when she already had held the position previously. Watchers already have considered her return as a form of demotion.

The NDP was all social justice on this and got a deserved nothingburger as a result.

Oh good, I was worried youd let your political allegiances skew your take on this but thankfully you cut it straight down the middle with no bias shown at all

8 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Oh good, I was worried youd let your political allegiances skew your take on this but thankfully you cut it straight down the middle with no bias shown at all

Politics aside these committees are a bit of a joke.

For example they had a committee on grocery inflation and shit fuck all came out of it.

Most of it is political grand standing

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Politics aside these committees are a bit of a joke.

For example they had a committee on grocery inflation and shit fuck all came out of it.

Most of it is political grand standing

Each one of the members on that Heritage Committee, regardless of political party, displayed a similar level of incompetence, so it truly is a multi-partisan effort.

Edited by BearcatSA

Am I the only one who thinks Fifa should apply the same standards to a coach as they do players?

National team coach should have to be from that nation 

I also don't think all this matters that much. I care about the CPL and the ins and outs of that. Because that actually makes a difference. But a national team? At the end of the day everyone pick 24 players and let's find out which country has the best soccer players. Its fun, it's exciting but what's with all this hoopla? I like the attention and interest but nothing the national team does or doesn't do changes things. Its a reflection of the work done in other places. At the end of the day we'll always just put our 11 best players on the pitch

Edited by SpursFlu

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Am I the only one who thinks Fifa should apply the same standards to a coach as they do players?

I also don't think all this matters that much. I care about the CPL and the ins and outs of that. Because that actually makes a difference. But a national team? At the end of the day everyone pick 24 players and let's find out which country has the best soccer players. Its fun, it's exciting but what's with all this hoopla? I like the attention and interest but nothing the national team does or doesn't do changes things. Its a reflection of the work done in other places. At the end of the day we'll always just put our 11 best players on the pitch

Where do you draw the line?  Assistant coaches?  How many matches until they get cap-tied?  Does a physio have to commit his career to the nation as well?  How about the CSA marketing team?  Sponsors?  

It's strange take, when most people are asking for looser rules to apply to player switches, this goes the opposite direction.

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think that is fantastic for the big nations but vastly suppresses upward change in lots of newer footballing nations or those that are economically challenged in growing the game in their home nation.

That's glass 3/4 full though. I guess such a mandate could inspire FA's to invest more in training their own national coaches. Ultimately I think it would probably only hamstring lots of countries that benefit from influence outside of their own country and limits their own coaches growth opportunities outside of it.

I'd be down for some type of mandate that either the head coach or assistant has to be from the home nation. Expectations that there is always a number of home nation staff that are in the coaching set up and benefiting from the experience to grow.

11 hours ago, trc2014 said:

If the team needs a "new voice," it also needs to have a clean break from the previous staff.

Biello should be here only for the October friendly.  That's it.

38 minutes ago, costarg said:

Where do you draw the line?  Assistant coaches?  How many matches until they get cap-tied?  Does a physio have to commit his career to the nation as well?  How about the CSA marketing team?  Sponsors?  

It's strange take, when most people are asking for looser rules to apply to player switches, this goes the opposite direction.

I think everyone on the coaching staff should be from the country. That's where I draw the line

Edited by SpursFlu