Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

Very confident that he will help the sinking TFC ship fairly quickly, he's a great fit right now.

However, I'm extremely confident that it will not last very long.  It will become very predictable.  Brym at '60.

I don't know what he could realistically do this season- the Italians won't rate him, playing those young canadians won't exactly give them easy wins or anything either. It'll be really interesting to see how he actually builds and shapes them next year though.

As a Canada/Montreal fan on the club level, it's a win win. Either he gets creative and gives a lot of young players some great opportunities like he's done for Canada, or he's terrible, and well, the CF Montreal fan in me looks forward to Losada's guys giving Herdman a nice re-welcome to Canada.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Probably, but Smyrniotis is my favourite realistic pick here. I would hope that the CSA acknowledges the locker room struggles and gives the players a coach that many already like and support. Knowing the CSA is going to do the opposite of what they should do every time, that won't happen, but if a relatively inexperienced Herdman can lead us this far, Bobby at least has good club experience and could probably get the players to more or less buy in, and probably wouldn't be so expensive.

I don't disagree that Smyrniotis makes a lot of sense. However, we can't kid ourselves and act like this is an ideal hire. How does that look from the perspective of our stars or even our prospective dual nationals? Idk man to me there's nothing ideal about this just three years from our home world cup

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

2 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Bet. Can't wait to see Canada lift up the Copa America eh?

Yeah because Herdman we were going to lol. Let’s be real here - Herdman is done anyways. He had many opportunities to get a result in the last year through the World Cup, nations league and gold cup and couldn’t muster a single non expected result aside from drawing Guadeloupe and Guatemala. 

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I don't disagree that Smyrniotis makes a lot of sense. However, we can't kid ourselves and act like this is an ideal hire. How does that look from the perspective of our stars or even our prospective dual nationals? Idk man to me there's nothing ideal about this just three years from our home world cup

A lot of the stars played under him earlier in their career - I'm pretty sure he'd be able to win over the locker room. Tactically, results speak for itself because what he's accomplished with Forge thus far especially in Central America, they weren't supposed to be this good this early.

Just now, Ansem said:

A lot of the stars played under him earlier in their career - I'm pretty sure he'd be able to win over the locker room. Tactically, results speak for itself because what he's accomplished with Forge thus far especially in Central America, they weren't supposed to be this good this early.

Yeah, I have zero concerns about the perspective of the players on Bobby.

In a true football nation a manager who has won 3 of 4 domestic championships is usually near the top of the list. Add in the fact that Bobby is probably the top football mind in this country in spite of not being a MLS/CSA bum boy. 

He’s succeed with every challenge he’s faced to date. The players already know him and respect him and if they don’t I’m sure their colleagues will convince them. 

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Yeah, key word is "Realistic"- I don't think anyone in this country is under the impression we're going to hire anyone close to truly ideal. The dream would obviously be someone with good UEFA or COMNEBOL experience who can juggle superstars and support players and the egos that come with it (not to mention attract some of our duals to come home), but I think at this point, a Canadian coach with rapport with some of our players and a strong club record- as valuable as the CPL may be- is probably the best we can hope for, and perhaps he too elevates his game like Herdman did when he came over to the men.

Phil Neville is another name that is probably not outside the realm of possibilities. Many of our best and gettable dual nationals are probably going to have some sort of connection to the UK, so at least a name they've heard before might help out. I would assume he joined the team fully knowing Herdman had one foot out the door, maybe JH gave his friend a little test run for a job he might be able to get down the road.

9 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Tenllado is a loss.

Not if Tenaldo was part of the teams and strategies the past 12 months.  I was a big fan of his, I always assumed he was the mastermind behind the tactics we were using the past few years.  But we went off the rails after WCQ and never got back.  Who ever was part of that and supported it also needs to go.  Not sure where Biello stands in all of that.  

13 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Bet. Can't wait to see Canada lift up the Copa America eh?

You think we had a chance with Herdman? 

We weren't getting out of the group stage the way things were going.  We needed other results to help us get out of the group stage at the GC.  And that was in a weak group.

I really hope they just hand it to Neville and be done with it. I don't trust the CSA for a second to find a good outside replacement moving forward. I don't think Biello has much to offer, and it would be such a CSA move to go on the cheap and just run with him and drop the intern tile. All about the cheap..

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

You think we had a chance with Herdman? 

We weren't getting out of the group stage the way things were going.  We needed other results to help us get out of the group stage at the GC.  And that was in a weak group.

You're right. With Biello we would've lost all 3 games instead.

1 minute ago, The Real Marc said:

Could a guy like Smyrniotis command the room with these newly minted striking big-timers?

He's had a hand in developing some of the best of them, so I don't think he'll face any issues on the dressing room front.

If he's the choice, of course.

Just now, The Real Marc said:

Could a guy like Smyrniotis command the room with these newly minted striking big-timers?

I think players will respond to a guy who demonstrates a solid understanding of the game and invests the time and energy to make the team successful.   All of these guys will have worked with lots of coaches over the years and have far better insight into the ones that are good at their jobs via the ones that are out of their depth.  I think a guy like Bobbi could command the room relatively easily if he can tick off those boxes - and I believe he can.  

38 minutes ago, Ansem said:

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah, I have zero concerns about the perspective of the players on Bobby.

In a true football nation a manager who has won 3 of 4 domestic championships is usually near the top of the list. Add in the fact that Bobby is probably the top football mind in this country in spite of not being a MLS/CSA bum boy. 

He’s succeed with every challenge he’s faced to date. The players already know him and respect him and if they don’t I’m sure their colleagues will convince them. 

It has to be said, the men's team's communications during this whole player dispute have demonstrated a degree of contempt toward the CPL, I'm not entirely sure that hiring a CPL coach would go over all that well.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Mauro Biello, YOU are the new Canadian National Team head coach 

I'm getting older but I feel like I saw Biello debut for Canada at the same time as Dero...on TV on a friendly in Toronto? Anyone who can corroborate?

46 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Tenllado is a loss.

Yes, this is the only part that worries me from a National Team perspective and encourages me from a TFC perspective. But unless he can play CB, neither of them will have likely have much of an instant positive impact for TFC. Maybe Insigne will like Herdman more because they are the same height.