Leagues Cup Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

1 hour ago, red card said:

Ref sets the wall for Messi allowing Messi to reset the ball.

A few inches here, a shove over there....meh, even MJ bent the rules just enough to get away with it at times.

michael jordan nba GIF

Edited by Macksam

Monterrey prez says Leagues Cup is disorganized and travel is way too much for Mexican clubs.

“It will be the fifth game, while for Los Angeles it will be a game with their players going home to eat every day, with their families, going to the movies, resting and ours are making a huge reinforcement,”

https://euro.eseuro.com/sports/793090.html

1 hour ago, red card said:

Monterrey prez says Leagues Cup is disorganized and travel is way too much for Mexican clubs.

“It will be the fifth game, while for Los Angeles it will be a game with their players going home to eat every day, with their families, going to the movies, resting and ours are making a huge reinforcement,”

https://euro.eseuro.com/sports/793090.html

I mean of course this is a Mickey Mouse tournament of questionable competitive value, but surely the Mexican teams would have known about these travel disadvantages before signing on.

29 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I mean of course this is a Mickey Mouse tournament of questionable competitive value, but surely the Mexican teams would have known about these travel disadvantages before signing on.

The problem (for me, a a fan) is the opposite, the draw was skewed to reduce travel. They have been put in regional groups, the travel is far less than what it would have been with an open draw. They restricted it, which means that teams in the group stage could face each other again in knockout, with no way of meeting East and West until the final.

But there were screwy travel set ups. If Vancouver had beaten Tigres then they would have faced the winner of the Timbers-Monterrey at home. But since the two Mexican teams won, they sent them straight down to Texas. That was a turnover from last Friday to Tuesday. If they win they'll either go to Nashville or the Twin Cities.

Since the 26th of July Monterrey has played in Salt Lake, Seattle, Portland, Houston and now go to LA this Friday.

Fact is, with more MLS teams alive, one or the other has to travel as well, with the team higher in Supporter's Shield last year getting home advantage.

I think that LAFC is the only team to not leave home in the entire tournament.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, red card said:

Liga MX not overly peachy about the refs and VAR. 

More emotionally palatable to blame VAR and travel demands than questioning whether the balance of power between Liga MX and MLS is starting to tilt in the latter's favour. They signed on the dotted line for this format no doubt in the expectation that America, Chivas and a couple of others would still be in at this point with the final rounds turning into a celebration of how much better Mexicans are at soccer in front of vast crowds waving Mexican flags in LA and/or Houston.

13 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think the Mexican sides thought that even with the travel they'd have an easier go of it.

But, it's year 1. Definitely a learning experience for everyone. Next year, I could at least see games between two Mexican sides being moved back to Mexico.

I think the format completely benefits the MLS teams for sure. Obvious statement 

But LigaMX knew that because it's a cash grab but theyre complaining now because they're getting embarrassed 

I think a solution would be to move the group stage to 1 location 

Edited by SpursFlu

21 hours ago, kacbru said:

I thought Blake looked pretty bad on the first goal as well. It was closer to the center of the net rather than to the post. 

I totally agree, I think he was weak on the first two, he adjusted poorly in both cases.

I have hardly ever seen a Messi goal like that long one vs. Union, I've seen those clinically placed "passes" into the corner from the top of the box but not so far back. But credit to Messi, he reads the keeper and adjusts a shot just out of reach.