Leagues Cup Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Only one Mexican team left in one half of the draw for the last 16 and its wait for it drum roll Queretaro. Probably not what they were hoping for in terms of driving crowds and ratings but it may shift perceptions a bit among Mexican-Americans on what the pecking order is between MLS and Liga MX.

I am just glad both leagues are competitive with each other. It wasn't fun when Liga MX was much better than MLS. It won't be fun if MLS becomes significantly better than Liga MX. I hope they can start creating more competitive continental competitions regularly.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I am just glad both leagues are competitive with each other. It wasn't fun when Liga MX was much better than MLS. It won't be fun if MLS becomes significantly better than Liga MX. I hope they can start creating more competitive continental competitions regularly.

Competition between leagues is OK for sure, but I wonder if it is necessary to have all the teams of both leagues involved - seems a bit like a gimmick. What if:

1) There was a qualification for Leagues Cup, say with eight teams from each league and the qualification list based on overall standings each year? Have 16 teams drawn into mixed league groups of four (2 + 2) for the first round? The theory here is that the top teams will have more resilience and depth.

Schedule congestion is a problem and these inter-league championships need to be limited a bit.

Say, will the present CONCACAF Champions League continue as is?

40 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Say, will the present CONCACAF Champions League continue as is?

The current 16 team format is changing to a new 27 team format.

As part of the changes the Concacaf League that made Forge (and the CPL to an extent) regionally famous has stopped.

Central America and the Caribbean now have their own dedicated tournaments to qualify for the new Champions Cup. Both of those tournaments started this week by the way.

The Leagues Cup has 3 teams qualify for the new Champions League.

One weird quirk is that you can have as many as 9 Liga MX teams or 9 MLS teams in the Champions Cup. Which kind of devalues the tournament in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I see that TSN has the rights to two back to back games tonight, neither of which is Whitecaps-Tigres.  So this one is just an Apple Pass offering.

My guess is Apple dictates which Canadian matches TSN can have.

The other games they do show are usually whatever FS1 is showing. 

Does anyone know if Laryea and Adekugbe are available tonight?

Edited by narduch

And in Messi news:

Tickets for Lionel Messi’s first game on the road with Inter Miami sold out in 10 minutes.

Miami travel to face FC Dallas on Sunday after three home games and official resale tickets are now being sold for as much as $9000 each.

Tickets for the Leagues Cup match went officially on sale on Thursday. It is also the first time that Miami’s other new arrivals, Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba, will play away from home.

FC Dallas play their home fixtures at the Toyota Stadium, which holds a capacity of 20,500.

https://theathletic.com/4747304/2023/08/03/messi-inter-miami-away-game-tickets/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=7361285

1 hour ago, narduch said:

My guess is Apple dictates which Canadian matches TSN can have.

The other games they fo show are usually whatever FS1 is showing. 

That's it.  I can't see too many folks watching those matches  on TSN.  I've only watched the last Seattle match in this tourney besides the Canadian teams' games (I don't have Apple pass).