Leagues Cup Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

Just now, RJB said:

Meh, hosted by MLS is what I meant.  This tournament is about making money and "growing the game" in the USA - errr, North America - so they'll do it like this, just like the Gold Cup.  This way too MLS can say how they had more teams in the knockout round!

Which is proving nothing: hey, a Mexican team went to Peoria or Provo 3 games into their season and couldn't get a result on artificial turf. We rule, build that wall! 

The inter Miami game they seemed to be going through the motions, Club León looked a bit more tuned in, a lot of highlights you see they're not even putting the foot in. I'm sure the gap is closing and if it gets LigaMx to push harder that'll be great, but still.

From what I’m seeing the Mexican teams are all in , they want to win this . The ones that are out and didn’t advance well they just faced better teams that  beat them plain and simple . Of course the Mexican teams are a bit disadvantaged by not having any home games , hopefully as the tournament evolves they will get to a point where  all the Mexican teams will get home games too,  in their own stadiums. I’ve found this tournament very intriguing and enjoyable actually. Don’t know where people are coming up with thinking the Mexican teams are not really trying . Whenever , any of the Mexican teams have won a penalty shootout they have been celebrating like any team that cares after winning a shootout.

Okay, so we've got 16 games coming up over the next three days.

My picks for the one game to watch on each day:

Wednesday:  Miami/Orlando   It's too bad Miami isn't playing a Mexican team but it's still Messi.

Thursday: Leon/Salt Lake  A toss-up among games.  Salt Lake is playing well lately and Leon won the CCL.

Friday:  Since I'm a Whitecaps fan, it has to be Tigres/Vancouver.  If I wasn't a Whitecaps fan, I might go with Chicago/America.  America got pounded in their last game.  Should be interesting to see how they respond.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Canada, eh?

I just don't see the point of a group winner forced to be playing away to a bitch ass 2nd place team as the prize. You'd say, well they came second, they are objectively worse. Yeah, after two games.

They decide CONCACAF Champions League spots this way?

The whole tournament seems to be imagined to get Mexican fans out across the continent, but I think there were more at El Clásico in Texas in Sunday.

6 of the remaining teams have already qualified for next year's Champions Cup (5 Mexican teams + Whitecaps). Which adds another layer of absurdity to the entire thing.

Your last point is spot on. The main purpose of this thing is to extract more money from Mexican American soccer fans.

13 hours ago, narduch said:

This has me wondering what happens if Vancouver qualifies a 2nd time for Champions Cup.

Does the Voyageurs Cup finalist (Montreal) get a spot? Or the next team in Leagues Cup?

It depends if Inter Miami have already qualified for Champions Cup.  If not, they get Vancouver's second spot.

1 minute ago, Goal_Kick said:

Why would Inter Miami get it?

Sorry - it was sarcasm in response to all the special rules for Inter Miami.  I can only imagine the fingers and toes that are being crossed in MLS and Concacaf offices that Messi et al are part of the Champions Cup.

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

Sorry - it was sarcasm in response to all the special rules for Inter Miami.  I can only imagine the fingers and toes that are being crossed in MLS and Concacaf offices that Messi et al are part of the Champions Cup.

Whoosh!   Right over my head.

Thanks.    😃

5 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Tonight and tomorrow the big boys from Liga MX play. Likely won't happen again.

Well I like this tournament because you get to see the other Liga Mex teams you don’t normally see in the Champions League , to see how the rest of Liga Amex teams stack up against MLS teams , and apart from the recognized Liga Amex teams we usually see,  it looks like these other teams are nothing special and would probably be just average teams in the MLS from some of these results, and yes I know that all the Mexican teams are playing on the road but still a lot of these other Liga Mex teams we don’t normally see are nothing special.

Edited by SoccMan

29 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Well I like this tournament because you get to see the other Liga Mex teams you don’t normally see in the Champions League , to see how the rest of Liga Amex teams stack up against MLS teams , and apart from the recognized Liga Amex teams we usually see,  it looks like these other teams are nothing special and would probably be just average teams in the MLS from some of these results, and yes I know that all the Mexican teams are playing on the road but still a lot of these other Liga Mex teams we don’t normally see are nothing special.

I would like to see how MLS squads would compete on  the road v these teams.

Probably wouldn't be as successful 

Finally found the rules on hosting in upcoming rounds.

If it is an MLS team vs. an MX team, the MLS team will always host. So if Caps beat Tigres and Monterrey beat Portland, Caps host them, probably on the 8th, the Tuesday. 

If however two MLS teams are drawn together (if Caps win and Portland win), that game is played at the stadium of the team ending higher in the 2022 Supporters Shield standing. Timbers were 3 points above Caps, so they'd host.

Going forward, if Caps win this and that round, they'd play quarter finals vs the winner of the LA FC vs. the Real Salt Lake-Club Leon round of 16. And if it were the Mexicans, we'd get the same damn team back at BC Place.

The entire draw is done as a regional endogamic love-fest, so it is basically like dogs eating their own puke, or inlaws at Thanskgiving, the Western teams we always see we see more of, the Mexicans who came to visit come back and visit again.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The entire draw is done as a regional endogamic love-fest, so it is basically like dogs eating their own puke, or inlaws at Thanskgiving

I'm intrigued by these dogs who can eat your inlaws:  are they like Cocaine Bear?

Edited by BearcatSA

6 hours ago, narduch said:

I would like to see how MLS squads would compete on  the road v these teams.

Probably wouldn't be as successful 

Maybe but if you are a league that is supposedly inferior then some of these lopsided scores by some of these MLS teams over these  Liga Mex teams shouldn’t be happening regardless if you are on the road or not . Moreover , like I stated before apart from a few of the top Mexican teams I really don’t see much of a difference in the two leagues in terms of the level of play . 

Edited by SoccMan