Leagues Cup Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

So if I am not mistaken, the round of 16 goes next Friday. Whitecaps play Tigres, not sure where (at BC Place?), and from what I gathered, the winner would play the winner of the tie between Rayados de Monterrey and Portland Timbers.

Isn't it odd that the winners of groups from Mexico have to play away? How does winning your group help again?

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So if I am not mistaken, the round of 16 goes next Friday. Whitecaps play Tigres, not sure where (at BC Place?), and from what I gathered, the winner would play the winner of the tie between Rayados de Monterrey and Portland Timbers.

Isn't it odd that the winners of groups from Mexico have to play away? How does winning your group help again?

Yes, BC Place will host.

It is odd. There's definitely parts to be worked out with this tournament.  Though I have enjoyed it.

On 7/31/2023 at 3:31 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Isn't the whole tournament being held in the USA?

Just now, RJB said:

Isn't the whole tournament being held in the USA?

Canada, eh?

I just don't see the point of a group winner forced to be playing away to a bitch ass 2nd place team as the prize. You'd say, well they came second, they are objectively worse. Yeah, after two games.

They decide CONCACAF Champions League spots this way?

The whole tournament seems to be imagined to get Mexican fans out across the continent, but I think there were more at El Clásico in Texas in Sunday.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Canada, eh?

I just don't see the point of a group winner forced to be playing away to a bitch ass 2nd place team as the prize. You'd say, well they came second, they are objectively worse. Yeah, after two games.

The whole tournament seems to be imagined to get Mexican fans out across the continent, but I think there were more at El Clásico in Texas in Sunday.

There's definitely tweeks that can be made to the tournament. You'd think at the very least Liga MX vs Liga MX matches should be staged in Mexico. But on the whole, I've enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Canada, eh?

Meh, hosted by MLS is what I meant.  This tournament is about making money and "growing the game" in the USA - errr, North America - so they'll do it like this, just like the Gold Cup.  This way too MLS can say how they had more teams in the knockout round!