Leagues Cup Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

34 minutes ago, narduch said:

Not everyone feeling the Leagues Cup buzz.

That tweet sounds more like it's a Red Bulls issue.

Montreal looks like it's sold out (or close).  Vancouver had one of their better attendances of the season.  Will be interested to see what things are like as the tournament goes on.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I will admit it has been a lot more interesting than I expected.

The teams are taking it seriously and for the most part the atmosphere has been good.

But I'm still mostly interested in the MLS v Liga MX games the most. The thought of RSL v Seattle or Portland v San Jose bores me

Yeah, going in I was really interested to see how seriously they all took it. And while we've seen a few youngsters (which is still fine), teams seem to be taking it seriously. You're right, the group stage MLS games definitely hold less appeal though I think the knock out games might be good. Have enjoyed it so far.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I was at the CF Montreal game and the atmosphere was great, lots of Pumas fans there and a wild finish.  Entertaining enough I might sneak back on Wednesday but I’m not expecting many DC fans 😀

Y'all looked and sounded incredible. Gotta say this season CF has consistently brought the best footy atmosphere in Canada.👏

Edited by PegCityCam

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That tweet sounds more like it's a Red Bulls issue.

Montreal looks like it's sold out (or close).  Vancouver had one of their better attendances of the season.  Will be interested to see what things are like as the tournament goes on.

The RSL crowd was pretty bad too.

At least Portland fans showed up for their all MLS match 

15 hours ago, narduch said:

The RSL crowd was pretty bad too.

At least Portland fans showed up for their all MLS match 

Saw someone on another forum suggest that maybe they should look at more East/West MLS match ups for this competition, just to give fans some more variety.  I don't think that draws as much as the Liga MX games but it might help a bit.

56 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Saw someone on another forum suggest that maybe they should look at more East/West MLS match ups for this competition, just to give fans some more variety.  I don't think that draws as much as the Liga MX games but it might help a bit.

Good point. With the lack of east v west play during the season...it would be nice to see some new teams.

^^^normally I just ignore this guy but occasionally it's worth pointing out that the ironic thing in all of this is that he is a TFC season ticket holder while I haven't been to an MLS game in around 15 years. A self-loathing TFC fan might be the best way to describe him given what he posts on here. 

My crime appears to have been daring to suggest on here back around 2017 and 2018 that MLS and CanPL should work together for the greater good of soccer in Canada because that ran counter to a nationalist agenda some posters have including this poster who ironically enough has told us that he is still a TFC season ticket in 2023 while it's unclear whether he ever actually bothers to actively support York United.

For clarity, I'm happy whenever a soccer game in North America fills a stadium regardless of whether that is this preseaon friendly game in New Jersey, Messi making his debut in Fort Lauderdale or a CanPL game in Halifax. I'm not hugely bothered how it happens in a Canadian context as long as our sport actually does succeed as a major spectator event, which is why I would rather see the stakeholders in our domestic soccer scene working together constructively rather than at cross-purposes.

Now back to just ignoring him again.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^normally I just ignore this guy but occasionally it's worth pointing out that the ironic thing in all of this is that he is a TFC season ticket holder while I haven't been to an MLS game in around 15 years. A self-loathing TFC fan might be the best way to describe him given what he posts on here. 

My crime appears to have been daring to suggest on here back around 2017 and 2018 that MLS and CanPL should work together for the greater good of soccer in Canada because that ran counter to a nationalist agenda some posters have including this poster who ironically enough has told us that he is still a TFC season ticket in 2023 while it's unclear whether he ever actually bothers to actively support York United.

For clarity, I'm happy whenever a soccer game in North America fills a stadium regardless of whether that is this preseaon friendly game in New Jersey, Messi making his debut in Fort Lauderdale or a CanPL game in Halifax. I'm not hugely bothered how it happens in a Canadian context as long as our sport actually does succeed as a major spectator event, which is why I would rather see the stakeholders in our domestic soccer scene working together constructively rather than at cross-purposes.

Now back to just ignoring him again.

I'm just sad you didn't find a way to work bus league into this pathetic rant.

I don't have to defend myself to you. You are obviously a bad Monday morning quarterback.