Leagues Cup Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

For the narrative at least.

Going to be interesting to see if they can continue this in the league and make the playoffs 

Or even in the US Open, for that matter.  

After this major game Miami immediately has to go to Cincinnati for Wednesday's US Open semi-final game.

Great game great drama the atmosphere was electric . This tournament is going nowhere only going to get bigger . It definitely needs some tweaks but not bad for the first year and never did like going straight to penalties after a draw but have to admit a lot of these penalties shootouts have been exciting.

8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Great game great drama the atmosphere was electric . This tournament is going nowhere only going to get bigger . It definitely needs some tweaks but not bad for the first year and never did like going straight to penalties after a draw but have to admit a lot of these penalties shootouts have been exciting.

I enjoyed watching the tournament.  I also like going straight to penalties after regulation.  Never been a fan of that extra half-hour.

A question for anyone who might know:  are there other tournaments out there that pit together two leagues from different nations?  Or was this an MLS original idea?

2 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

I enjoyed watching the tournament.  I also like going straight to penalties after regulation.  Never been a fan of that extra half-hour.

A question for anyone who might know:  are there other tournaments out there that pit together two leagues from different nations?  Or was this an MLS original idea?

I think it’s a first for a tournament involving two leagues like this one we have just witnessed. I’m not sure if they are planning this as a yearly tournament, I would rather they make this a bi annual affair and maybe have some games played in Mexico . However , I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable this tournament turned out to be . 

• 1 month later...

The insatiable appetite for futbol and the homeland on display again as 86k showed up for an overpriced friendly El Clásico de México at the Rose Bowl on Sunday. Bested the 82k that went to see MLS El Traffico in July.

This why Leagues Cup became sentient. But in both Leagues Cup & El Traffico, we didn't see this type of pyro worthy of a rainy Tuesday night in Frankfurt.

74k also likely paid an average US$100+/ticket to see Mexico outdo Ghana 2-0 on Saturday night in Charlotte.

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 3:54 PM, Goal_Kick said:

Ireland has tried something like it a couple of times. Nothing as extensive obviously

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setanta_Sports_Cup#History