2023 World Cup General Match Thread

If Colombia can use the final group match for some load management, they are going to be a big problem for any opponent in the knockout round with their defensive set up and that attacking group.  

I am reminded of then Team Canada assistant coach Ken Hitchcock being asked at the Vancouver Olympics which of his players was really impressing him and his reply was, "Anyone playing with (Jonathon) Toews!" and I feel the same way about the Colombian CF, Ramirez:  with her overall play, she seems to be a tide that is raising the other boats, including the dynamic young Linda C. 

I'm looking forward to the South Africa vs. Italy game tonight.  South Africa are a dangerous counter attacking team with lots of speed up top and Italy has something to prove after being demolished by the Swedes.  A win for SA puts them through; a draw or Italy win puts Italy through.

39 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

September Olympic Qualifiers just got more interesting (and challenging).

Good read. Suddenly, for most, the level of optimism with respect to the CWNT has taken a nose dive, That confident feeling of being the second best women's team in CONCACAF, and the qualifying benefits into the Olympic tournament that accompany that ranking, is now seriously under threat.

The level of confidence that Jamaican women are experiencing must be sky-high right now. While on the other hand, we all know the current level of frustration that the CWNT is experiencing with the CSA. If we get knocked out by Jamaica in September, the decline of women's soccer in Canada will be evident to all. And all will know who is responsible for the decline!

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

If Portugal had scored rather than hitting a US goalpost in stoppage time, Jamaica would be the only CONCACAF team advancing from the group stage. 

16 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

If Portugal had scored rather than hitting a US goalpost in stoppage time, Jamaica would be the only CONCACAF team advancing from the group stage. 

The United States are indeed very lucky to still be in this tournament. Based on their 3 group matches, it is clear they will not three-peat.

A Jamaica vs Columbia round of 16 match-up seems very likely at this point. In an ideal world, considering her coaching future is on the line, Priestman should extend her stay, even pay out of her own pocket if she has to, and buy a ticket to this match.

Edited by MrR

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

If Jamaica does on to QFs with a strong run, how is that going to affect attendance for the home leg?  Am I going to be seeing too many Jamaican flags in the stands on my tv screen?

#vamoscolombia

13 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

If Jamaica does on to QFs with a strong run, how is that going to affect attendance for the home leg?  Am I going to be seeing too many Jamaican flags in the stands on my tv screen?

#vamoscolombia

I'm going to that game. I'm meeting up with one of my mates from the football club for a beer beforehand. He's Brazilian, his missus is Colombian. I told him that Jamaica advancing was the best thing for his relationship. 😄 

On 8/1/2023 at 12:55 PM, Bison44 said:

HAHA, UT plenty of the men on here have "man crushes" on male players.  

I'm always embarrassed to admit this but I actually like a type of female player, in that sense, but they always happen to be really good players. So I'm like any fan, first they're very good and relatively famous, then I go about sorting through my crushes.

Colombia and Morocco getting out of that group is awesome. Two more teams that could be quarterfinal material, like us and Brazil, out.

This WC has been really fabulous, the level of the lesser teams has risen so sharply. I can only watch bits and the odd game because of times, but it's been extraordinary. The technical and tactical level, the fitness. For me there are two key things missing still, maybe 3. More killer strikers who awe. Taller keepers, which we'll see for sure.

And better reffing. I'm especially bothered by the physical teams who overpower being favoured and a bit of dirty play being allowed. I would like to see the rash Scandinavian style checked a bit and a bit more protection for the emerging technical players.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Colombia and Morocco getting out of that group is awesome. Two more teams that could be quarterfinal material, like us and Brazil, out.

This WC has been really fabulous, the level of the lesser teams has risen so sharply. I can only watch bits and the odd game because of times, but it's been extraordinary. The technical and tactical level, the fitness. For me there are two key things missing still, maybe 3. More killer strikers who awe. Taller keepers, which we'll see for sure.

And better reffing. I'm especially bothered by the physical teams who overpower being favoured and a bit of dirty play being allowed. I would like to see the rash Scandinavian style checked a bit and a bit more protection for the emerging technical players.: 

I'm still all-in on Colombia:  they got a wake up call today though I felt that they were doing enough good things that would have bagged them goals on another day.  Props to Morocco, however.  I think Colombia has the skill plus athleticism to deal with another USA reserve side in the round of 16.  But, it's knockout, anything can happen, and it is what it is.

There is still some really dodgy goalkeeping, and even the better teams' keepers struggle to deal with inswinging service into the goal area:  lots of misjudgments and flapping at balls still. 

But watching these emerging younger gun teams, there is way better first touch and technique, quicker pass decision making and running off the ball. as well as faster ball movement.  Combined with improved athleticism through strength and conditioning from better pro club environments, these teams are taking it to another level.

Very good to see.

Edited by BearcatSA