2023 World Cup General Match Thread

3 hours ago, MrR said:

Interesting that 1 of the 4 bids for the 2027 Women's World Cup is a Mexico/United States co-host bid. Why isn't Canada part of that co-host bid?

I remember a sound bite from the beginning of this tournament from a player that was still feeling insulted that they had been made to play on artificial turf in 2015.  Until either Canada gets grass pitches or the attitude against artificial turf changes, I don't see the WWC coming back here.

The biggest compliment I can give England is that they looked professional in their approach:  kept their shape, tactical fouling early on; safe, keep-it-rolling possession to take the crowd out of it; dangerous balls over the top to utilize their underated pacy runs into space behind the back line;.the holding mid is outstanding in her role; and, most importantly, each player knows her job and does it.  Finally, I think each player would run through a fire wearing a gasoline wardrobe for this manager.

And yet, as the crestfallen Aussie colour commentator noted, it was (and always is, really) a match of "moments and margins."  Kerr ties it with a wonder strike then misses a volley from six yards out she probably would have put on goal 19 times from 20 for a player of her quality.  And, the defensive frailities (also amplified somewhat by the absence of Kennedy at CB) came to the fore.

Edited by BearcatSA

I fell asleep second half. 

What I like about the final, as a Spain fan, is that the winner will truly deserve it and if Spain, it won't be against the freak run of the home team.

It also means I'll be far more nervous because the thought of losing is worse.

This final reflects the shifting power balance of European club football as well. Most of Spain play in Spain (I think except Hermoso in Mexico, Battle now returning), same with England with key exceptions. I'm also fond of our English players at Barca, Bronze is past her prime but has amazing fight, Walsh is one of the best in her position.

Spain is currently holder at the u20 and u17 levels, which bodes extremely well for development and future success. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Green said:

I don’t think you can really say that when they reached the semi-finals without Kerr doing anything of consequence.

I think it is pretty clear that the next WWC, any of the top 10-12 teams could have a shot at the final. Australia, not a great team, but have some strong pieces and if they improve 3-4, a tough rival. 

Just now, BearcatSA said:

I see that one ESPN contributor had Priestman on their list of expected candidates, but not Herdman.  Not sure I saw the rationale there.

I wonder if they'd even mention Jonatan Giráldez. I find it nuts they'd list off possible great women's coaches and ignore the guy who trains the best club in the world, whose players are the core of Spain, and include two England starters (and a Swede). Spain's success is Barça driven, so much so that even with key players refusing Spain callups, they went into Barcelona depth players and second stringers like Coll, Codina, even Paralluelo.

They mention Cortes in the ESPN article as "left field", a guy who won a Champions and then left to coach Ukraine, but objectively has better credentials than most on that list.

For me it's better if they sign a dud, better for the rest of us.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder if they'd even mention Jonatan Giráldez. I find it nuts they'd list off possible great women's coaches and ignore the guy who trains the best club in the world, whose players are the core of Spain, and include two England starters (and a Swede). Spain's success is Barça driven, so much so that even with key players refusing Spain callups, they went into Barcelona depth players and second stringers like Coll, Codina, even Paralluelo.

They mention Cortes in the ESPN article as "left field", a guy who won a Champions and then left to coach Ukraine, but objectively has better credentials than most on that list.

For me it's better if they sign a dud, better for the rest of us.

My interest in this is with how the evolution of the professional club women's game in increasingly competitve leagues is affecting what some of these higher ranked NTs are looking for in a manager.  Someone who is well prepped tactically and is an astute in-game manager is a coveted prerequisite, but maybe a little less emphasis on the "culture" part of things and more on the "this is your job, do it, or we'll put in someone else," regardless of how great a player supposedly is in the dressing room.  A big problem with NTs is that for some managers they tend to get trapped in a comfort zone with their many-multiple cap incumbents instead of investing more risk but possibly higher reward with new players (young or late bloomers) to the program.  And that actually goes as much or even more for role playing back ups as it does for aging "stars."

And sometimes you just need to have that will to be ruthless in dropping someone  (or more), and then owning your decision if it doesn't pan out.

So, as ypu can see, lots of connections to our program, as well.

Not that Arnold was bad here by any means, but I think this probably gets Musovic the Golden Glove.

A look at the people chasing Miyazawa for the Golden Boot going into the final match:

1. Miyazawa - 5 goals, 1 assist, 336 minutes.
  2. James - 3 goals, 3 assists, 286 minutes(!) (she really screwed herself out of the Golden Ball)
  3. Bonmati - 3 goals, 2 assists, 492 minutes
  4. Hermoso - 3 goals, 2 assists, 556 minutes
  5. Redondo - 3 goals, 1 assist, 334 minutes
  6. Hemp - 3 goals, 1 assist, 428 minutes
  7. Russo - 3 goals, 0 assists, 476 minutes

8 hours ago, kacbru said:

But Fowler is exciting to watch and if she can play off Kerr, Australia will get chances.

Did you, or any other of us (few) here watching, feel that Fowler's influence took a dip when Kerr was starting?  She seemed like less of a focal point in the attack compared to when van Egemond was up top.

Maybe it was just a fatigue factor involved, or the steps up in opposition (France, England, Sweden).  She seemed more peripheral with fewer big moments.

The Sweden keeper should be the all-star, but the voters might throw a bone to the home team on that one.  Either would be a fair choice, really.  

2 hours ago, Colonel Green said:

Not that Arnold was bad here by any means, but I think this probably gets Musovic the Golden Glove.

A look at the people chasing Miyazawa for the Golden Boot going into the final match:

1. Miyazawa - 5 goals, 1 assist, 336 minutes.
  2. James - 3 goals, 3 assists, 286 minutes(!) (she really screwed herself out of the Golden Ball)
  3. Bonmati - 3 goals, 2 assists, 492 minutes
  4. Hermoso - 3 goals, 2 assists, 556 minutes
  5. Redondo - 3 goals, 1 assist, 334 minutes
  6. Hemp - 3 goals, 1 assist, 428 minutes
  7. Russo - 3 goals, 0 assists, 476 minutes

As an attacking partnership, these two have truly grown into this tourney.  They complement each other really well and Hemp in particular does a lot of the little things that help a team win.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Did you, or any other of us (few) here watching, feel that Fowler's influence took a dip when Kerr was starting?  She seemed like less of a focal point in the attack compared to when van Egemond was up top.

Maybe it was just a fatigue factor involved, or the steps up in opposition (France, England, Sweden).  She seemed more peripheral with fewer big moments.

The Sweden keeper should be the all-star, but the voters might throw a bone to the home team on that one.  Either would be a fair choice, really.  

Yeah, I would agree. You can still see glimpses of what Fowler can do with the ball, she just didn't have much of it. 

Sweden are just better and Aslani  really pulled all the strings. Nice to see her get the 2nd goal. 

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

Yeah, I would agree. You can still see glimpses of what Fowler can do with the ball, she just didn't have much of it. 

Sweden are just better and Aslani  really pulled all the strings. Nice to see her get the 2nd goal. 

Likely the curtain call at the World Cup for Aslani and a good way to cap it off.

For the final, either team will be a worthy champion.  Spain the more  eye pleasing technicians, England more in the vein of Germany's men's World Cup winning teams in their overall game.  Both have had to grind out results in the previous knock out rounds, though Spain showed how overrated the Swiss are.

Spain have some absolute elite level talents but Wiegman seems to have inculcated a very professional "this is your job, go out and do it, no excuses" mindset in her players.  Only one player has gone off script and she cooled her jets in the stands for two knockout games for that poor error in judgment.

If Spain win, that would be great because I like the top technical sides doing well.  But if England win, the women get to stick it to the perpetually overhyped men's side as well as that asshat American Lalas, who roots against them because he doesn't like their arrogance (gee, the pot to kettle analogy seems appropo).

I just want the game to be won without ging to penalties.  All Euro final means a non-European ref, and with that the American Penso gets the whistle.

Final prediction:  a tough one.  I will go with England 2-1 (Hemp with the winner after Bright scores from.a Greenwood corner, Bonmati for Spain) but I am okay with Spain winning, too.

Looking forward to what I hope will be a great game.

Edited by BearcatSA