2023 World Cup General Match Thread

13 hours ago, The Ref said:

It is interesting that after our Canadian women failed to advance, the number of post and related activity here has diminished drastically.  Understandable, but there are other teams worth noting and more competition coming yet.

Not surprised at all, really.  I've actually enjoyed this tourney quite a bit because the overall quality of play exceeded my expectatations and I have been quite engaged in almost all of the matches.  I have been really impressed with what I hve seen from the other countries.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Agreed with others, I’ve found the quality of play really good and haven’t missed our absence too much.  As I’ve said previously, Canada’s (and the US’s) days of just bully CONCACAF rivals is coming to an end.  And Mexico wasn’t here…

Despite the feel good story of Jamaica, they're still a side premised on bigger time athleticism to get the job done but if they show the same commitment I saw Down Under, they will be a big problem for us over the two legged qualifier.  Costa Rica and Panama (despite the latter's goals vs a France on rotation) are still subpar at this level. 

I still think we are a team in the top 10-15 ranking range in the women's game.

Spain vs Sweden:  the Swedes have big mo going for them in overcoming two elite opponents in the knockout rounds, and the keeping gives them a big edge.  However, Spain not only has talent and technique but they  also showed resilience in scoring an extra time winner after conceding the tying goal in deflating fashion during second half stoppage time versus the Dutch.  I am going with Spain to do the job here

A shame Putellas can't play 90. She's only at 80% though.

Salma for Alexia is a direct attacking change and Spain has shifted to longer balls.

It's a very high quality match, Sweden is totally in it and they've even had better luck pressuring. Credit to them for not fouling Spain too much.

One of the most daring moves from Vilda is to put Cata Coll into goal, the young Barcelona second keeper. Seems to be to give them a bigger body and more presence in the air. She's also strong with her feet. Coll is not touted at all by the press in Spain. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

It was a very good affair. Props to Sweden for their effort and fight back.  Really good match.

As a neutral (and a very long time contributor on here), I really want to see a strong technical side win this thing over sides whose stocks in trade are much more premised on athleticism, work rate, and discipline.  But the irony here is that the introduction of the speed merchant striker really changed the match for Spain and stretched the Swedish d more.  I don't think they win this if she's not sn arrow in their quiver off the bench.

Even missing their "rebels," the technical abilities of the depth in this program allow them to be a "next player up" kind of team, to use the college gridiron phrase.

That's something any country's program should aspire to have.

6 hours ago, MrR said:

Not too many active on this thread (2) for a World Cup semi-final. Congrats to Spain. Great win!

It doesn’t help that it’s in the middle of the night for almost everyone.  

Watched it on tape delay at 630 am; think Spain just about edged it but it was a good quality match with a frantic last 10 mins.  Even though I was in Qatar and watched a fair number of matches and thoroughly enjoyed myself, I find watching this event on TV to be really entertaining.  Probably more so than the men’s WC.