2023 World Cup General Match Thread

As a Spain fan I should prefer the "lesser" team to go through, same with Colombia over England, but Australia have a rather vulgar style and I find it hard to support them. Fine, if they really deserve their win, great, but for me it won't be good for the women's game.

That crowd, have they never seen a soccer game before?  There seems to be many who are total newbies. I mean, getting that excited for a useless long ball to no one.

France is a lot worse than I imagined. I guess I am thinking Olympique or PSG and clearly that is a mistake. For me the worst quarter final, with some weak technique, goofy clearances, dumb missed passes. A poor game from France the last 15 m, even with more chances on goal. At least Australia is doing what they should, making it close.

You've got to think that England is the best team on this side of the draw by far.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That crowd, have they never seen a soccer game before?  There seems to be many who are total newbies. I mean, getting that excited for a useless long ball to no one.

It did sound like the crowd when a team breaks through inside the 22 in a rugby game! 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You've got to think that England is the best team on this side of the draw by far.

I agree, but they are the last team I want to see progress. Really anyone but them. 

France are better than this, the game vs. Brazil was quality.

For me I've seen about 6-7 fouls by Australia that could have deserved a yellow. Maybe not severe, but not clean and in a few cases cynical.

One was where Le Sommier is kicked in the face and she's forced off the pitch.

If refs are going to ref this way the women's game will stay in its infancy, they are favouring one kind of play that puts us back 20 years.

Credit to France for playing through it, they're not super skilled but noble.

Just now, kacbru said:

Australia defence seems to be happy to get in the way then kick the hell out of the ball. Not pretty. 

And quite a few of those rebounding off their own players onto French feet.

It's not a great match for quality, it's a bit crude at times, but the fitness and focus and both teams staying to the game plan is outstanding.

I admit the ref is allowing the French to get away with borderline fouls too.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Foord and Kennedy; Le Sommer, Renard and De Almeida. And the keepers. Best players.

Becho. 

She looked a big time threat whenever she was on the ball.  She changed the dynamic of their offence

However, overall, I didn't feel like the French attack was in sync.  Lots of energy and commitment there, however, especially in the face of overwheming, vociferous home support.  Tough to lose out on penalties.

Homer pbp team had me keep the mute on the TSN feed.

England, apart from the David Seaman-esque moment on the Santos cross (that was NOT a shot), did a job tactically, capitalized on a couple of big errors and outworked a Colombia side that hit a wall in the energy department and couldn't find another gear.  However, the future looks good for this Colombian side going foward.

As a funny aside, England demonstrated probably the most reluctant team singing of a national anthem in this tourney.  Chuck 3.0 doesn't break the meh level compared to his mum, I guess.

Edited by BearcatSA