Match Thread: World Cup Group B - Matchday 1 - Nigeria v Canada - July 20, 2023 - 10:30pm ET / 7:30pm PT / 12:30pm local time (July 21)

If anyone thinks that was a bad performance: it really was not. 

I was at the Canada-Cameroon in 2019 in Montpellier, we won 1-0, but we looked much less offensive, we had no attack at all and just squeeked it out. And that rival was far worse than Nigeria, we were far superior and just barely won.

We had no attacking talent in 2019, and we struggled like hell in the Olympics, getting the right penalty calls and being tough defensively. This team has far more attacking options, we have players who can score and are used to scoring. Seeing Huitema, Viens and Lacasse on late, that was good. 

Overall, the team is going through positive changes as new players come in, we will continue to be competitive as the veterans move out. I feel positive, despite the draw.

So that Red card ends up hurting us in a way.  

1) it was too late in the game to really have a meaningful impact and tilt the balance in our favour

2) That defender wont be available for the next match when Nigeria plays Aus.  And we would be helped greatly if Nigeria beat Australia or get a drawn against them

3) would have been better with a no call

This game/sport can be unfair in a lot of ways.

Edited by Free kick

I don't quite understand how Canada ended up in a group with Australia (the hosts).   Shouldn't we have been a seeded team in pot 1?   Canada is ranked seventh in the world and we end up in a group with the tenth ranked team in the world who happens to be the host.

Sounds like a Concacafing effort by FIFA.

Edit.: Nevermind,  i think i figured it out.  Australia is co hosting with New Zealand, so that bumps us technically to the nineth ranked and in pot two. But still.

Edited by Free kick

I thought the players (both teams) had a poor first touch most of the time.  Maybe the pitch was really slippery, because the ball was always getting away from the players.  They would try to push the ball ahead and it would end up three metres away.  Very frustrating to watch, and also making it really hard to put a string of passes together.  If the field was a problem, I'm not looking forward to them coming back for the third game.

3 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I thought the players (both teams) had a poor first touch most of the time.  Maybe the pitch was really slippery, because the ball was always getting away from the players.  They would try to push the ball ahead and it would end up three metres away.  Very frustrating to watch, and also making it really hard to put a string of passes together.  If the field was a problem, I'm not looking forward to them coming back for the third game.

I'm wondering if it's the new model of ball for the World Cup? Too many overhit passes and clumsy settles through the early part of the match. Players seemed to adapt as the match progressed.

I would have liked someone to welly the ball towards the net to see what could transpire. Too many players ducking out of shots around the area.