Gold Cup: Canada vs USA - Sunday, July 9th 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Cincinnati, OH (Match Thread)

Shway

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Lol..this is as silly a sentiment at being pissed off at the boys. We didn’t outplay them - we were dominated in literally every single statistic. In what sense were we better? We fought hard and gutted it out sure but there’s no way anyone can watch that match and say “Canada was the better side”.

Agree but you can also say as much as we may have been outplayed statistically we could have very well won that, it's a funny game and it's not all about stats and balance of play!

Just now, Free kick said:

There will be bigger fish to fry in the next three years.  Copa America, Another gold cup,  The world cup.... etc.  We went about as far as we could with this squad.  

If we advanced to the semis we’d be on short rest with a ton of suspensions. Would have been hard pressed to move to the finals. 

The B team is alright 👍

No real answers that we didn't know. Including our biggest problem in replacing Vitoria and finding another 2 or 3 players at that level. It's a real issue. Kennedy did well when he came in imo. Miller is so inconsistent but is a good member of the squad. McGraw is exactly what we thought he would be. He played well today though.

Pros:

- Ahmed: love the guy

- Bombito: looks very promising

- Shaff: more of this

- JRR: Looks bright 

- Millar: looked very positive, especially playing centrally.

Cons:

- Vitoria: is it the end for him? Hope he can continue another year. Wotherspoon is surely almost done too. I am more ok with that. Hoillet and Borjan might well be in the same place.

- Osorio: Not a good tournament from him but hopefully he gets back to full fitness, on top of his game and this isn't it now for him.

- Brym: he has time on his side but really didn't impress again in lots of chances.

Honorable mentions to Laryea for having a great tournament and Nelson looking bright when he xame on. No cap tying McGill but I don't think that's going to be an issue.

Overall we clearly have younger players in the pipeline (just maybe not close to enough CB's) there are a good 5 or 6 that have staked their claim to be in the next Canada squad. Albeit that might not happen in the fall as we would want.

I thought Miller (lovely PK) and St Clair played really well.  Don't think we should play Kennedy against the US, how many goals/chances has he had for them.  Makes me think he is related to that Cape Cod lot :)

Again, I compare to the Mexico GC game where we had none of our stars and put the fear of God into them.  Really good to see JRR score under pressure to take the heat off and reset himself.  Can't fault Brym, could have gone either way.

Such a good effort it makes me wonder where it was the first three games.  Most/all of the players capped and played, I consider it a success as in future it looks like this tournament will be used to blood and experience new players.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

The B team is alright 👍

No real answers that we didn't know. Including our biggest problem in replacing Vitoria and finding another 2 or 3 players at that level. It's a real issue. Kennedy did well when he came in imo. Miller is so inconsistent but is a good member of the squad. McGraw is exactly what we thought he would be. He played well today though.

Pros:

- Ahmed: love the guy

- Bombito: looks very promising

- Shaff: more of this

- JRR: Looks bright 

- Millar: looked very positive, especially playing centrally.

Cons:

- Vitoria: is it the end for him? Hope he can continue another year. Wotherspoon is surely almost done too. I am more ok with that. Hoillet and Borjan might well be in the same place.

- Osorio: Not a good tournament from him but hopefully he gets back to full fitness, on top of his game and this isn't it now for him.

- Brym: he has time on his side but really didn't impress again in lots of chances.

Honorable mentions to Laryea for having a great tournament and Nelson looking bright when he xame on. No cap tying McGill but I don't think that's going to be an issue.

Overall we clearly have younger players in the pipeline (just maybe not close to enough CB's) there are a good 5 or 6 that have staked their claim to be in the next Canada squad. Albeit that might not happen in the fall as we would want.

Slight disagree on Laryea. He's been good but his habit of looking for fouls instead of beating his man and sending in crosses was too much of a familiar sight this tournament.

6 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

Man we did not lose this game because of the ref. Please stop the accusations. Cavallini should have been given a clear red and we are sooo lucky he didnt get it

Whether poor refereeing changed the result, or not, is giving the referee a free pass on what was an atrociously one-sided performance. He called two different games today, one for them and one against us. Whether he's a cheat, incompetent, or too piss-weak to make a call that might upset the home crowd, I don't know. But the refereeing was awful.

Concacaf sucks, Cavallini deserved red and we should’ve had a 2 earlier penalties. Good first pen but Vitoria is too slow to play at this level now he should be transitioned out. McGraw played his best match as a Canadian, was our only player winning headers. Once Richie and Hoilett ran out of gas it went downhill for a while. Solid bounce back from Osorio and Bombito. Although it wasn’t his best day I think Ahmed Is definitely one for the future, with Vancouver’s midfield overload they’ll likely be willing to sell him, Europe by 2024? Cavallini is done with this team he was as useful as McGill tonight. Fraser actually played pretty well, I though his distribution was good and helped calm us down a bit. Byrm and JRR were pretty useless, provided a bit of energy but other than that nothing really, JRRs penalty was excellent. Kennedy really helped us and made me feel comfortable when the US played all those balls over the top. Miller solid game, seems like he’s getting slower though. Jacob Shaffelburg is brilliant, mesmerizing goal and incredible energy, Nova Scotia is proud of you my boy. St.Clair was amazing, time for Borjan to get transitioned out if he plays like that all the time, save after save kept us in the game. Matt Turner is a fucking mad man, best goalie in concacaf you’re not beating that guy in a penalty shootout. Overall much better than I expected out of this team and here’s to hoping Panama can shock the US.

6 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

So can we put any notion of using Cava longterm to bed? I don’t care if that means starting JRR, Ugbo, or literally anyone else. Cavallini is a massive liability with very little to offer going forward.

He’s good for a possible red card a game, might even stomp on someone’s head

7 minutes ago, gator said:

Agree but you can also say as much as we may have been outplayed statistically we could have very well won that, it's a funny game and it's not all about stats and balance of play!

We were absolutely the better team in the first half, but probably second best in the second half, and beyond. There wasn't much in it throughout the match, either way. It was an even game and it wasn't unjust that it went to penalties.