Gold Cup: Canada vs Cuba - Tuesday, July 4th - 6:30pm Eastern / 3:30pm Pacific - Houston, TX (Match Thread)

46 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

How I would lineup tonight.

We can't risk Vitoria or Miller get another card as we need them for QF (not a given I get, but come on has so be) also assumed that Kennedy is unavailable.

Tried to go pretty offensive as we need to attack this game. If Hoilett is unavailable that start JRR. Cuba should be about NextPro level, which he has torched in the past.

LINEUP111688495181185.thumb.png.1d23bfcdcbf19b8c3cec34e03a4e2495.png

I like it except I’d swap Millar with Shaffelburg. Can’t stomach another match of no left boots on the left. 

5 hours ago, Metro said:

Considering the situation, the voice I can only hear is Ron Howard from Arrested Development.

The narrator at the beginning of each Clone Wars episodes. 

"Evil battle droids sent by Count Dooku have managed to elude Jedi knights and kidnap veteran guardian Milan Borjan from the Republic base deep inside Houston Texas. Obi Wan Keherdman and his young padewan Dayne St. Clair have been hurried into training for an upcoming must-win match against breakaway nation Cuba coached by the evil Darth Sidious. Meanwhile, the reasons behind the faithful Milan Borjan's disappearance are unknown forcing Jedi Master Yoda to ask himself some serious questions: Will Milan return to the Republic any time soon, and has the  Republic coach,  Keherdman, made an error that could see Borjan disappear forever?"  

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I like it except I’d swap Millar with Shaffelburg. Can’t stomach another match of no left boots on the left. 

In this case I would rest Hoilett and put Millar on the right. Pump balls in the box for Cavallini. If we score it's likely to be from service and not sharp interplay around the box.

If things aren't looking good at half, bring on a relatively fresh Hoilett and pray he can conjure up something for us.

Line up prediction:
st clair
ZBG zator ZMG Miller Millar
Bombito Ahmed spoony
Brym Shaffelburg 

I think vitoria rests, hoilett rests with a potential injury. 
Im unsure about laryea, cav and oso but I think they rest. 

Im torn between zator and loturi. I dont think herdman trusts either of them but I think one will play and bombito will either go RCB or DM. If kennedy is availble than he probably starts for miller. 

Its hard to predict. anyone else have thoughts?

I’m not going to pretend to know how Cuba play, so I don’t know what lineup would best counter them, but I think the following is true in all cases.

* Hoilett needs to be further back to pick apart a static defence, and the partnership with Cavallini simply isn’t working. We need size and/or pace up top with Cavallini if we go with two. 

* Given that Kennedy is apparently not available, I would like to see a back three of  Miller-McGraw-Bombito, or a pairing of Bombito-McGraw in a back four. We risk being exposed, but it gives Vitoria rest. You can also make the argument that he deserves to sit on the quality of his play.

* For all the disparaging of Shaffelburg, he has more goal contributions this year than Millar does, and he will have an easier time swinging in crosses to Cavallini. He flubbed his chance last game, but he also immediately recovered the ball after that and put in a good cross. I wouldn’t be opposed to a 3-4-3 with both of them, but if I have to choose, I’d rather have Shaffelburg.

Edited by footballfreak

If Hoilett can't go, I would go with a 4-3-3 with Shaff on the left and Millar on the left.  Vitoria should be given a rest and we go with a backline of Laryea-Miller-McGraw-ZBG.  Midfield of Bombito-Osorio-Ahmed.  That's about as much firepower as possible on the field at one time, with ZBG and Laryea joining the attack.

1 minute ago, canadianbacons said:

If Hoilett can't go, I would go with a 4-3-3 with Shaff on the left and Millar on the left.  Vitoria should be given a rest and we go with a backline of Laryea-Miller-McGraw-ZBG.  Midfield of Bombito-Osorio-Ahmed.  That's about as much firepower as possible on the field at one time, with ZBG and Laryea joining the attack.

Maybe a couple more guys on the left?

11 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I’m not going to pretend to know how Cuba play, so I don’t know what lineup would best counter them, but I think the following is true in all cases.

* Hoilett needs to be further back to pick apart a static defence, and the partnership with Cavallini simply isn’t working. We need size and/or pace up top with Cavallini if we go with two. 

* Given that Kennedy is apparently not available, I would like to see a back three of  Miller-McGraw-Bombito, or a pairing of Bombito-McGraw in a back four. We risk being exposed, but it gives Vitoria rest. You can also make the argument that he deserves to sit on the quality of his play.

* For all the disparaging of Shaffelburg, he has more goal contributions this year than Millar does, and he will have an easier time swinging in crosses to Cavallini. He flubbed his chance last game, but he also immediately recovered the ball after that and put in a good cross. I wouldn’t be opposed to a 3-4-3 with both of them, but if I have to choose, I’d rather have Shaffelburg.

Kennedy is not available?

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Fuck Herdman for this XI.

Fraser was ass last game and he gets rewarded with another start and Loturi is against on the bench.

It's Cuba bruv you can play Loturi.

All I can think of at this point is that Loturi looks awful in training.  That’s literally the only think that makes sense at this point.

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

All I can think of at this point is that Loturi looks awful in training.  That’s literally the only think that makes sense at this point.

If Loturi looks that bad in training, Herdman would have seen that in Nations League... why did he call him to not use him? If he's so bad, why not call Choiniere?!

We’ve scrapped off points with basiclly the same squad in the last 2 games but Herdman uses the same group for the biggest game of the tournament so far. Another back 3 it looks like, does Herdman learn? We’ve used the back 3 a lot recently and have been piss poor this is embarrassing from him. Herdman has reached my tipping point, unless these guys can score 5 tonight then put in a good QF match I think sacking should start being considered, I know that he’s done a lot for this program and I’ve been a supporter in the past but he hasn’t shown any good managing since the 2nd last window of WCQ, managers need to learn and adapt he does none of that.

17 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

You don't seriously think Herdman evaluates what he sees in training? He has brought dud players consistently to camps, he obviously does not care too much.