Gold Cup: Canada vs Cuba - Tuesday, July 4th - 6:30pm Eastern / 3:30pm Pacific - Houston, TX (Match Thread)

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Am I the only one who thought this was a disappointing performance from Canada? Especially considering the competition (a very poor Cuba team with nothing to play for) and how poorly Canada looked the previous game vs Guatemala. 

Conceding 2 goals to this Cuba team should be unacceptable imo.

We’re defending so terribly… I can forgive a pure lack of elite offensive talent, but we’re giving the ball away so many times in very dangerous locations!  It’s a little puzzling…

To be fair to Herdman getting whipped by the States is easy to brush off as "playing arguably the best team in Concacaf right now". Jamaica, while their squad is better, is more of an optics body blow. We "passed" them already so it looks more a of a backwards step getting stuffed by them.  Nothing to lose against the states. Everyone expects us to be well beaten.

Well, big picture this is bringing back all sorts of old GC vibes.  BUT.....I think that now we should be able to stop with the F#cking around, get people in the right positions and the guys who have gained some momentum so far will be on the pitch and we might get a bit of our mojo back.  Maybe we see kennedy, Vitoria, Miller at back 3 (damn near A-team), Millar and Lareya create some chances and Hoilett/Cavs finish.  It could happen, just no more Bombito at DM, and we dont need to see McGraw again if Kennedy is still in camp.  And JRR shows more than Brym, keep giving him those minutes.  Herdman has had these guys in camp awhile, run them every which way he could, now prove to me that you've learned something about these new guys and put together a decent lineup and do a decent job getting them motivated for the USA.  The let down here has been coaching.  You cant expect a bunch of pups to run with the big dogs, but cripes, herdman hasnt been helping much and he is supposed to be the "top manager" in CONCACAF.  

Screenshot_20230705_035519_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1d9fb4a2f66a7e74fed4faf21da9b81.jpg

Seeing the knockout bracket which I took a screenshot of: Guatemala vs Jamaica, Mexico vs Costa Rica, USA vs Canada and Panama vs Qatar make for some pretty interesting match ups.

However semis I have Jamaica vs Mexico and USA vs Qatar

Canada we have next to no chance at beating USA even with our B team let's be realistic here. USA even with their B or C team will still beat us given their depth and the fact we had to struggle against teams like Guadeloupe and Guatemala and only beating Cuba to get here into the knockouts shows me that we're only going to get bounced out by the USA. USA simply put has Canada's number.

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Just like at the WC, these comments don't matter. We lost to Croatia because they have far better players and we  were beaten tactically. The same is likely to happen vs USA. Professionals don't need "bulletin board material", something only the media cares about. 

Comments like that do matter. Of course they don’t need bulletin board material but they dont go unnoticed either. From the horses mouth: 

"He gave us extra motivation — us and all of Croatia," Croatia forward Andrej Kramaric said after their win. "Thanks to the Canadian coach. He could have expressed himself in a better way. Croatia did what he thought they would do to Croatia. Thank him for that.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/croatia-canada-john-herdman-comments-motivation/yyst057htpb8w6zptelqzjy0

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Screenshot_20230705_035519_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1d9fb4a2f66a7e74fed4faf21da9b81.jpg

Seeing the knockout bracket which I took a screenshot of: Guatemala vs Jamaica, Mexico vs Costa Rica, USA vs Canada and Panama vs Qatar make for some pretty interesting match ups.

However semis I have Jamaica vs Mexico and USA vs Qatar

Canada we have next to no chance at beating USA even with our B team let's be realistic here. USA even with their B or C team will still beat us given their depth and the fact we had to struggle against teams like Guadeloupe and Guatemala and only beating Cuba to get here into the knockouts shows me that we're only going to get bounced out by the USA. USA simply put has Canada's number.

You’ve made like 8 posts in this thread about how there’s no chance we’re going to win. Might be a sign to log out for a second?

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You’ve made like 8 posts in this thread about how there’s no chance we’re going to win. Might be a sign to log out for a second?

He said we would lose to Cuba too. Let him keepnat it 😀