Gold Cup: Canada vs Cuba - Tuesday, July 4th - 6:30pm Eastern / 3:30pm Pacific - Houston, TX (Match Thread)

2 minutes ago, red card said:

Herdman is a heel.

He's a liar.

Oh we all know he had played his bluff with a useless hand. Mind games is good and all but probably shouldn't poke the bear.

Our players will be up for it, no doubt. But our defence simply can't handle what the US or anyone with pace or movement throws at us. It's going to be a car crash... and I can't look away. Bring it on! 

26 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Canada had loads of chances to score more, and Cuba only was dangerous from the spot. A typical lopsided match where neither team has their foot fully on the gas. Few conclusions to be drawn, though good for more familiarity to be gained among the players.

That's the same for me.  We did what we had to do, get the three points, but let's not kid ourselves here.  Based on what I have seen in three games, we are in pretty tough, even if the Americans are missing some of their key guys. 

Bring on the US! I joke not. Now that we can’t seem to afford to schedule meaningful friendlies or have training camps we should always hope to play the best opposition in any tournament we take part in. Also, a three day training camp, young players on a team who haven’t played together much - we should be better and more sorted in the quarter final than in the first couple of matches. 

Will we win? Probably not but there is no reason we can’t give them a game. I expect us to be closer than our A team was a few weeks ago. 

Edited by ECW

Feel bad for Zator whose plus/minus in  only about 15 minutes played for Canada is -2, and the call for that PK was incredibly harsh since the ball would have hit his ribs if it didn’t hit his arm at such a short distance away. Shouldn’t be awarding PK’s on VAR for inconsequential plays. Thank heavens we were up by 3, as imagine if that call knocked us out of the tournament?

Nice to see more caps and some of the younger players getting goals rather than just the vets. I hope the team continues to improve with more time together and some decent time between games.

29 minutes ago, ECW said:

Bring on the US! I joke not. Now that we can’t seem to afford to schedule meaningful friendlies or have training camps we should always hope to play the best opposition in any tournament we take part in. Also, a three day training camp, young players on a team who haven’t played together much - we should be better and more sorted in the quarter final than in the first couple of matches. 

Will we win? Probably not but there is no reason we can’t give them a game. I expect us to be closer than our A team was a few weeks ago. 

Tomorrow's TSN Headline: Canada Soccer's credit card declines at the Motel 6 in cincy. Game called off. 

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Lol, 1957 is the "early 1900s".

He also seems to have forgotten the USA losing on home soil to CONMEBOL and CONCACAF teams, not to mention Serbia recently.

Also , asking the Canadian fans to fill the stadium in Cincinnati is a bit rich as nothing was set up by the CSA as far as @JamboAl has communicated.

Nothing was set up because you can’t until you know you’ve qualified and FC Cincinnati season ticket holders already got the first kick at tickets.  Also, the number of Canadian supporters who had expressed any interest in going to Cincy has been minuscule.

41 minutes ago, red card said:

Herdman is a heel.

He's a liar.

Herdman is slowly getting to clown status pulling the same crap he pulled in the World Cup versus Croatia. We basically played a team that would have a tough time competing in the CPL and played like crap I didn’t see anything positive in that game apart that we won and barely qualified to the next round . If this team shows up and plays like they have in these fist three games it’s not only going to get ugly but embarrassing. We need to hope that somehow these guys step it up or that the US has a bad game , but in the end do we really need this crap coming out of Herdman’s mouth again like really !

Just now, SoccMan said:

Herdman is slowly getting to clown status pulling the same crap he pulled in the World Cup versus Croatia. We basically played a team that would have a tough time competing in the CPL and played like crap I didn’t see anything positive in that game apart that we won and barely qualified to the next round . If this team shows up and plays like they have in these fist three games it’s not only going to get ugly but embarrassing. We need to hope that somehow these guys step it up or that the US has a bad game , but in the end do we really need this crap coming out of Herdman’s mouth again like really !

I agree largely. I'm relieved we won and scored goals, but the opposition was a joke. The most positive thing from tonight was seeing Nelson step up / scoring and capping Loturi. 

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It's far less controversial than the WC comments, but still a distraction and bulletin board material for the US.  Oh yeah, they're the host nation too.

11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Nothing was set up because you can’t until you know you’ve qualified and FC Cincinnati season ticket holders already got the first kick at tickets.  Also, the number of Canadian supporters who had expressed any interest in going to Cincy has been minuscule.

All true but I'm sure that somehow the Outlaws already had a section booked off.

These kind of games against this type of opponent is always going to magnify any negative plays and dismiss the positive ones.  I wouldn't read much of anything into individual performances (though I did feel Bombito looked too technically limited to be a possession maintenance part of the defensive mid game at this stage of his brief pro career).  

But it's over now.  We are on to prepping for the US.  It's a winner takes all.  Anything can happen.  But I don't think the FanDuel odds look that good because of the question marks we have at both ends of the pitch. 

But that's why we play the games and that's why I will be watching and cheering for us.  We have a great opportunity to smash and grab in Cincy!   

Edited by BearcatSA