Gold Cup: Canada vs Cuba - Tuesday, July 4th - 6:30pm Eastern / 3:30pm Pacific - Houston, TX (Match Thread)

1 minute ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Herdman saying he actually wanted the US and was adjusting the team effort based on getting that matchup. Incredible.

Ah - that explains the Bombito sub in the first half.  Well done John, well done.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

“We haven’t beat the US away since the 1900’s”

John really laying the underdog foundation early. 

Lol, 1957 is the "early 1900s".

He also seems to have forgotten the USA losing on home soil to CONMEBOL and CONCACAF teams, not to mention Serbia recently.

Also , asking the Canadian fans to fill the stadium in Cincinnati is a bit rich as nothing was set up by the CSA as far as @JamboAl has communicated.

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Am I the only one who thought this was a disappointing performance from Canada? Especially considering the competition (a very poor Cuba team with nothing to play for) and how poorly Canada looked the previous game vs Guatemala. 

Conceding 2 goals to this Cuba team should be unacceptable imo.

Canada had loads of chances to score more, and Cuba only was dangerous from the spot. A typical lopsided match where neither team has their foot fully on the gas. Few conclusions to be drawn, though good for more familiarity to be gained among the players.

1 minute ago, GasPed said:
3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Team vs States.

Sinclair   McGill

ZBG  McGraw Vitoria Kennedy  Miller

Laryea  Fraser Loturi Bombito

Expand  

Pretty sure Sinclair is away at another tournament (though I suspect Herdman would call her if he could).

Correct. Also, I think McGill is being played too deep with this lineup. Need him further up the pitch. 

I feel better about not getting the goal differential we would have liked as it didn’t matter in the end.  Definitely still got lots of holes but being back in the win column is nice.

Herdman - Once again not convinced with his formations and tactics but I’ll take the victory and move on.

St Clair - Unfortunate game as the only two shots on net were penalties and both conceded.  Unlucky on the 2nd penalty that I’m sure he’d like another shot at.  First penalty started with Osorio’s bad giveaway.  But with the Cuban attacker running away from the goal and Kamal chasing, I think he made the incorrect decision to come out like he did.

McGraw - I don’t think he was as bad as some say here.  Strong in the air and decent distributor but definitely looks slow.  He’s been better the past two games but he doesn’t look like he’s going to be more than a decent CB for us.

Bombito - Not great but I hope he was pulled as caution and not for his play.  Poor on Herdman if the latter, especially given he’s been playing Bombito all over the place out of position.  Still think he’s got a bright upside.

Miller - Decent game.  Nice to see him have his first steady game in a long while, even if it was against Cuba.

Laryea - Not his best game.  Really poor pass to Nelson that should have made it 5-1 and put the game away.  But another solid performance overall.  We’re used to him being the best player for both TFC and Canada lately.

Ahmed - Solid game again.  Love that he is so versatile and that his level of quality doesn’t drop when tasked to play different positions.  Overall he’s likely been the most consistent player over the past 3 games.

Fraser - It was an okay performance.  I’d hope for more control in the middle of the park.  But he never looks terrible for Canada when he plays.  Definitely needs to find a better team.

Osorio - Not a great game again but a nice goal.  Really should have had 3 goals though.  Needs to stay inside on that first goal for sure.

Hoilett - Again one of the only players that can consistently cause problems going forward with this B squad.  Nice to see him get his goal for a Canadian record of scoring in 4 different Gold Cups.  

Cavallini - Relatively quiet performance and was far from our most dangerous attacker out there but nice assist to Osorio.

Millar - Man of the match.  Heavily involved in the buildups of two goals and finally scored the goal he deserves.  Super happy for him!  He’s deserved it and he’s been one of our most consistent players along with Ahmed and Hoilett this tournament.

Nelson - Looks dangerous.  Very good upside but he is definitely going to need to bulk up a bit.  But he’s got skills and really should have had his 3rd goal in 5 games for Canada if not for a very poor pass by Laryea.

Loturi - I think he was okay.  Had some misplaced passes but had some nice buildup as well.  Just super happy for him to finally get some minutes and represent Canada.

Kennedy - Solid performance off the bench.  I’m genuinely shocked that these are his first minutes of the tournament given how poor we’ve been defensively and given he’s a regular with our “A” team.

Russell-Rowe - Looked very lively out there and dangerous.  Great chance saved late but i think he’s got potential to be a solid striker for us if he continues to develop.

Zator - Crushed again for him.  Such unfortunate luck.  It’s a penalty in my books, especially given the penalty we were given (which I also think is a penalty).  I’m just glad that the goal given up didn’t end up having an effect on our position in the group.  

21 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Lol, 1957 is the "early 1900s".

He also seems to have forgotten the USA losing on home soil to CONMEBOL and CONCACAF teams, not to mention Serbia recently.

Also , asking the Canadian fans to fill the stadium in Cincinnati is a bit rich as nothing was set up by the CSA as far as @JamboAl has communicated.

Just a bonkers interview.