Match Thread: Gold Cup - Group Stage: Canada vs Guatemala - Saturday July 1, 2023 - 9:30 pm ET/6:30 pm PT

narduch

Just now, toontownman said:

Didn't they beat Cuba 4-1. Surely we need to score 3 at least if Guatemala beat Guadalope. They won't so its not an issue. Us scoring and beating Cuba is a bigger problem.

If either Guatemala or  Gaudaloupe lose they only have 4 pts.. if we win we have 5pts

I’ll make this quick.

Herdman - He’s losing me with his tactics, formations and substitutions.  He also seems to have lost the players a bit.

Borjan - Probably deserves Man of the Match for being the only player that wasn’t terrible tonight.

Vitoria - He’s played decent for club but to be honest he hasn’t been good for Canada since before the World Cup.

Miller - I’m not convinced he will be around in 2026 at this rate.  Luckily for him we don’t have much coming down the pipeline.

Bombito - A little untidy and way too clumsy but he shows glimpses that he could become a good player for us.  Id prefer to see him at CB.

Laryea - Exciting going forward but no final ball and falling down way too frequently.

Millar - Not great in the final 3rd but I really appreciated his effort and work back.

Fraser - Shouldn’t be here.  Not much worse than the rest I suppose.

Osorio - Non factor again tonight.

Ahmed - Showed glimpses of skill but he wasn’t particularly good either.

Hoilett - Had some misplaced passes and would like that volley back but still thought he was the main focus in all our attacks.  Should not have been subbed off.

Cavallini - Fairly nonexistent.  Not good on the ball but we also barely got him the ball.

McGraw - He actually was okay.  Much better than Tuesday.

Shaffelburg - Much like Millar, appreciated his hustle but just not good enough in the final 3rd.  Needs to do better on that chance.

Brym - I’ve defended him before but can’t defend that performance.

Wotherspoon - Aso defended him but this should probably be his swan song.  He’s definitely not in my 23 man “A” squad anymore.

ZBG - Someone needs to remind to put on cleats next time.  Not great in a small cameo.

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm drunk and didn't watch the game. I appreciate all of you and I hope you all are happy and healthy,  despite the result.

I didn't watch the game. A shame whatever is happening is happening.

Oh crap, you didn't watch?  Easton Ongaro was a late call-in to cover for a hurt Cavallini and in reverse-Floro fashion, he anchored the backline.  In a surprise move in the 65th minute, both Richard Shaw and Phil Neville were substituted in and both got reds within 5 minutes cause they have no idea what CONCACAF is like.  To try to find a late winner, Guatemala called down Carlos Ruiz from the press box for a 90th minute corner but De Vos gave him a forearm shiver as he was warming up and he literally died on the sideline.

Also Wotherspoon played like hot garbage.   It was crazy.

16 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Rough one.  So hopefully this is answering some questions:

1) We have no real threat in the box when we don't have David or Larin.

2) The game is quickly passing old man Vitoria by.  Better start thinking about what to do without him.

3) Come hell or high water, Herdman will make Bombito into a DM, even if there are players on the bench better suited for that position.

4) Glad Wotherspoon got his testimonial in his hometown Houston.  I have to assume that's why he saw the pitch there and that we don't see him again.

5) Goddamit, we have given Brym chance after chance, and nothing has really happened.  When do we realize that he's not up to this level? (also, see point #1 above)

Agree with everything except that Brym was the only guy tonight who actually took on a defender one on one.  And almost beat him.   As for everyone else?  Well they just just gave their opponents way too much respect.  This was not a good team that we were facing tonight but we treated them like we were playing against a WC finals side

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Didn't they beat Cuba 4-1. Surely we need to score 3 at least if Guatemala beat Guadalope. They won't so its not an issue. Us scoring and beating Cuba is a bigger problem.

So my math might be off, because it looks like there are six empty wine bottles beside me but, both Guatemala and Guadeloupe have 4 points.  We have 2.  When you win, you get three points.  3+2 = 5 (or six, not sure).  Guadeloupe get 0 points for losing (or maybe not, this is CONCACAF after all).

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Agree with everything except that Brym was the only guy tonight who actually took on a defender one on one.  And almost beat him.   As for everyone else?  Well they just just gave their opponents way too much respect.  This was not a good team that we were facing tonight but we treated them like we were playing a WC finals side

Earlier tonight, I was having a kickabout with Messi (he was celebrating Canada Day in the Ottawa Valley for obvious reasons).  I took him on one on one and almost beat him too.  Should I fly to Houston for the game against Cuba?

3 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Spanish commentators said the game was mostly a comedy of errors.  I would include the Preacher in that comedy.  Is this our best 11? Really?

It was not a well played game.  Neither team was able to construct anything.  

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So my math might be off, because it looks like there are six empty wine bottles beside me but, both Guatemala and Guadeloupe have 4 points.  We have 2.  When you win, you get three points.  3+2 = 5 (or six, not sure).  Guadeloupe get 0 points for losing (or maybe not, this is CONCACAF after all).

To be fair to myself I'm not smart but I think I also didn't account for our point today seeing as it felt like a loss! 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

To be fair to myself I'm not smart but I think I also didn't account for our point today seeing as it felt like a loss! 

Not sure I would give us a point after that game myself.  Maybe half a point, so I get what you are saying.  We're sitting on 1.5 points.

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

If Guatemala and Guadeloupe draw, we need to win by 2 to advance. 

If there is a winner in the Guatemala v Guadeloupe game then we advance with any win.

Screenshot_20230702_002509_FotMob.jpg

And to think we got the easiest group