Match Thread: Gold Cup - Group Stage: Canada vs Guatemala - Saturday July 1, 2023 - 9:30 pm ET/6:30 pm PT

narduch

Just now, jonovision said:

Why does everyone assume that playing Loturi would be the right decision? He's a mid player in a crap league.

Just like Fraser, only the Scottish Premiership is a better level. Bombito needs to be in the backline which opens up the dm spot. I am not comfortable with a guy playing Belgian D2 as our starting dm

3 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Oh yeah, we sure look really great. There's zero threat to score. He's a threat to score, even if you think he's not a great option most of the time. 

Not to mention, Theo's actually scored in a Gold Cup before.

Serious question what position would Theo play… 

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Why does everyone assume that playing Loturi would be the right decision? He's a mid player in a crap league.

Have you seen any of his time playing for Ross County? I've seen him 4/5 times and he has been pretty good to be fair to him. Almost always a top 3 rated player and has clearly stepped up a level. Great vision, combative and cool under pressure. I'm excited about him, dissapointed because I can't believe he would he worse than Fraser was tonight.

Edited by toontownman

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

both these teams are ass - would take a miracle for either of them in the QFs if they get there

To be clear, Guatemala was clearly the better team tonight. Which is even more damning.

Just now, jonovision said:

The one I thing I don't understand is why bring in guys like Vitoria, Osorio, Borjan, Laryea, if the rest of your selections mean you don't give a fig about winning.

He took the Nations League squad and then just filled in for the absentees. 

1 minute ago, spitfire said:

Serious question what position would Theo play… 

Well, over the past two years he'd played wingback, midfielder, winger, and striker (which is a big reason why he's not been able to find consistency - hoping that changes this year in Switzerland). So 3 of the 4 are options in our system. Preferably, Herdman would get off this 3-5-2 he likes to run when we need a goal. Making guys like Millar run back on defense all game and gassing him, hurts one of our few scoring options.