Match Thread: Gold Cup - Group Stage: Canada vs Guadeloupe - Tuesday, June 27, 2023 - 7 pm ET/4 pm PT

narduch

Asking for a friend. Does anyone know if there are lockers anywhere near BMO to store a backpack while at the game? I'm not actively monitoring this thread, so please reply to me, or @ me so I get the message.

I’m a bit surprised at the 7pm start time. I assumed 8pm for a weekday game, especially on the back of a double header. Thankfully I’m not expecting lines like the Panama game of WCQ.

edit: wait the Cuba vs Guatemala isn’t also at BMO? I swear the gold cup normally has double headers at the same stadium? 

Edited by Pottsy3

17 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I’m a bit surprised at the 7pm start time. I assumed 8pm for a weekday game, especially on the back of a double header. Thankfully I’m not expecting lines like the Panama game of WCQ.

edit: wait the Cuba vs Guatemala isn’t also at BMO? I swear the gold cup normally has double headers at the same stadium? 

Yeah, this was never a doubleheader like other years.

33 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

No more non-resale tickets available. Looks like the tickets now need a code to buy. The horrible sale of these tickets continues

I only see verified resale tickets for sale, but they are all locked. Does this mean all the actual tickets have been already purchased?

Is this ticketmaster locking things down? 

30 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I think Guatemala vs Cuba isn't at BMO Field but if it is, then that's great

13 hours ago, costarg said:

We've played 2 strikers since Oct/Nov.  I'd be curious to pull up the stats, but from what I recall, Larin and David barely touched the ball at all when we played equal or better opponents.  We could not get the ball to them.  If they did touch the ball, it was way too far from the opposing net for them to be any kind of threat.  Strikers are supposed to strike, you can't do that from the center of the pitch. 

Weaker teams need to have numbers behind the ball, not beyond the ball.  Having two strikers up top just ensures we won't get and keep possession.  The logical and most reasonable decision would be to play a 4-5-1 (defensive 4-3-3) or even a 4-2-3-1 vs stronger opponents. 

Crazy part is... we have the perfect players to do just that!  We can play Davies and Tajon on the wings and have them join the attack at every opportunity, while they're fast enough and have the stamina to track back and play on the defensive side as well.   

We got away with 3-5-2 vs the weaker teams in CONCACAF, but got easily exposed vs the serious competition.  As expected, they figured it out real quick.

So I see what youre saying. But davies and tajon seem to offer more attacking threat as wingbacks. A back four also exposes vitorias/millers pace. In our 3-5-2 I rarely see david and larin beyond the ball defensively. David especially is incredible at cutting passing lanes. David also drops deep and helps with our build up play so I dont think he should be considered a true striker. 

I would argue that against better opposition, they sit deep and we dont have solutions. Our strikers dont get the ball because theres no space in the low block. 3 midfielders is extremely important to connect our mids to strikers but usually our issue is not possession. Look at the WC games or even vs uruguay. 

I would argue that if we go with a 4-3-3 vs a low block, it will be even more difficult to break our opponents down. Davies, buchanan and david will all have to receive the ball extremely shallow or with their back to goal  or between the oppposing defensive and midfield lines where the spacing between players is very short distances. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

What are the odds the fame gets pushed? Everyone I know in Toronto is saying how terrible the rain has been these past few days.

BMO has top level drainage so I can't see it being an issue.

1 hour ago, blueseeka said:

No more non-resale tickets available. Looks like the tickets now need a code to buy. The horrible sale of these tickets continues

I am like 99.9% sure the vast majority of these are the CSA listing normal tickets as resale to be able to price them lower than face value.  Rows and rows of tickets (ie sec 210) all in groups of four and priced at the exact same amount.

A classic Groupon-level move for everyone who paid full price for tickets.

58 minutes ago, theaub said:

I am like 99.9% sure the vast majority of these are the CSA listing normal tickets as resale to be able to price them lower than face value.  Rows and rows of tickets (ie sec 210) all in groups of four and priced at the exact same amount.

A classic Groupon-level move for everyone who paid full price for tickets.

But this is CONCACAF game, not a CSA game.

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Does anyone have any lineup predictions? This is probably the most difficult line up to predict in a while.

3-5-2

St Clair
Bombito Vitoria Miller
Laryea loturi oso spoony millar
Hoilett Brym 

I think it could look very close to this, maybe Cav in Hoilett's place!

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I think it could look very close to this, maybe Cav in Hoilett's place!

Or Cav for Brym? The front is hard to predict. 

On a side note. Cav could become the 3rd all time scorer for Canada this gold cup... Davies will likely become 4th soon enough.  its crazy to think the top 4 scorers will all be from the 2022 WC squad. 

I feel like Spoony, Cav, and Hoilett will all start:

Hoilett----Cavallini----Millar (think he'll go Brym though)

Oso--------Spoon-----Loturi

Laryea--Miller--Vitoria--ZBG

-------------St. Clair--------------

No clue what the formation will be, but if we go with a 3-back I see Bombito or possibly Zator in there. I think McGraw will be a 2nd half sub for Vitoria. 

It is pissing down rain here in The Hammer and it looks like more of the same at BMO, it hasn't dampened my excitement of going to see our boys play and watching some new players as well as others having an increased role! I am meeting up with @Club Linesman and @Wayverider for snacks, drinks and discussion pre match so regardless of the weather this will be a good night!🍻

7 minutes ago, gator said:

It is pissing down rain here in The Hammer and it looks like more of the same at BMO, it hasn't dampened my excitement of going to see our boys play and watching some new players as well as others having an increased role! I am meeting up with @Club Linesman and @Wayverider for snacks, drinks and discussion pre match so regardless of the weather this will be a good night!🍻

Attaboy Gator.  Love the enthusiasm.  Wish I could be there - rain or shine.  

19 minutes ago, gator said:

No rain in midtown TO!