Match Thread: Gold Cup - Group Stage: Canada vs Guadeloupe - Tuesday, June 27, 2023 - 7 pm ET/4 pm PT

narduch

Tough one. I was getting geared up to give Herdman a lot of credit - could have gotten the win and still managed a bunch of debuts.  

But man this showed how badly we need quality defenders.  Vitoria gave up the first and his lack of speed meant he needed to foul for the free kick that led to the equalizer.  And he is the top of the pile for us.  Given the way McGraw got twisted inside out all night it seems like Bombito maybe should have started in the back rather than in the midfield.  

Some positives.  5 guys capped for the first time.  Ahmed clearly is class.  And some decent individual performances with Hoilett and Millar, and I thought that Shaff looked good on his time on the field. 

Disappointing for sure but we were two minutes away from managing to scrap out a great result under the circumstances.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

6 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Because JRR and Shaffelburg stupidly lost the ball, trying to grind a corner. And when they lost possession they didn't made the tactical foul.

You can’t seriously blame a goal on the fact that two guys tried to burn the clock (and did so for a bit) at literally the other end of the field.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

You can’t seriously blame a goal on the fact that two guys tried to burn the clock (and did so for a bit) at literally the other end of the field.  

That’s 200% normal. What is not is letting the other team counter attack. They had no backup in that area. Shaffelburg was too high.

2 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

That’s 200% normal. What is not is letting the other team counter attack. They had no backup in that area. Shaffelburg was too high.

I agree it’s normal to run the clock down but you have to be defensively Balance… can’t get countered on. 

I don’t know what game Wheeler and Brennan were watching but it wasn’t the one that was broadcast. 

I never felt overly optimistic about one because of all the changes playing against a team which qualified with momentum, but I think Herdman made it more difficult by playing so many debutants out of position. It is difficult not to think of this one as a glorified friendly the way we approached it. 

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

GET BORJAN OUT GET BORJAN OUT GET BORJAN OUT GET BORJAN OUT GET BORJAN OUT 

HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE REPEATED??? HOW MANY BAD PERFORMANCES FROM A 35 YO KEEPER DO WE NEED??? THE SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER AND OVER

Would a different keeper given us a different result? He made some nice saves this game. 

Sorry, but we got what we deserve here.  The team are making basic mistakes. Not being able to clear our lines and overreliance on passing back to the keeper are the two prime examples. 

Tactically and technically, this was a garbage performance. Until we start working at these areas again, we are going to keep sliding backwards. 

We had almost no formational shape or execution most of the game. We got arrogant in stopage time and didnt work to see out the game. Even the crowd thought it was in the bag. 

We have serious problems right now no matter who plays. Winning football comes from quality technical and tactical play. Stop expecting to win and put in the work again. 

We have really lost our way. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Tough one. I was getting geared up to give Herdman a lot of credit - could have gotten the win and still managed a bunch of debuts.  

But man this showed how badly we need quality defenders.  Vitoria gave up the second and his lack of speed meant he needed to foul for the free kick that led to the equalizer.  And he is the top of the pile for us.  Given the way McGraw got twisted inside out all night it seems like Bombito maybe should have started in the back rather than in the midfield.  

Some positives.  5 guys capped for the first time.  Ahmed clearly is class.  And some decent individual performances with Hoilett and Millar, and I thought that Shaff looked good on his time on the field. 

Disappointing for sure but we were two minutes away from managing to scrap out a great result under the circumstances.  

Just leaving the game and I saw different for some of the guys you mentioned except Ahmed.

Felt McGraw was the better of the two CBS.

Bombito in the middle was surprising, and thought he did okay but wonder how he would be in the back.

Hoilett was a hoilet when he doesn’t score or assist.

Millar was getting jammed in the first half, and didn’t produce anything in the attack. But covered defensively…im starting to think he could be a LWB. 

Laryea was solid.

Miller was shaky at times for being the vet. 

Osorio was sloppy, looked like his second game in a long time.

Cavallini put in the one work for the goal and didn’t do much other than that. He was second to a lot of balls.

Subs…were subs…

1st game…but this is going to be a tough tournament.

Disappointing but there are positives. They showed resilience in the 2nd half. They had a bad first half.

Ahmed will be a big part of the future, he looked great all night. Always moving the ball forward.

Millar had his best game that i remember for Canada. Had a couple great runs. Looked fast tonight.

Hoilett did so much for them. Was disappointed when he came off. Great pass to Cav for the goal

Cavallini goal and a yellow

Laryea dangerous all night

Bombito had a couple poor passes but for being out of position was solid

Brym and JRR bad luck on the own but i was glad to see them get an opportunity tonight. I have high hopes for JRR

Bad: Vitoria worse game i have seen in a long time

McGraw looked very slow. Nice outlet passes but atruggled on fast counter attacks

Osorio just hasnt been himself since the injury

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

This f****** team just frustrates the shit out of me like seriously? Seriously? This is a team that we should be putting away especially given our talent, given our quality. Like we shouldn't be going behind to start the game and then barely drawing with a team like Guadeloupe like this is embarrassing.

We have players from Belgium D2, Holland D2, Poland D1, Germany D2, unattached, only played pro football in England D5, etc

Not really the big dog

Just got back from the game. My thoughts 

1. The crowd was actually quite good. Was bigger and more energetic than I expected. And they were rewarded with a pretty embarrassing performance.

2. Surprised to read many of these thoughts here. We drew at home to Guadeloupe and apparently most of our players were good according to reviews here.

3. Only positive surprise for me was Ahmed - who I have watched very little of this year in Vancouver. In person you can see how quick he is and his ability in tight spaces. Will be interesting to see how he develops in the next two years.

4. Osorio was terrible - consecutive horrendous performances in a Canadian shirt. I get he’s just coming back from injury but he’s nowhere near good enough right now.

5.  I had seen a bit of McGraw with Portland and was pretty impressed with his defensive ability. Seeing him in person was pretty surprising - just terribly slow. Doesnt mean he can’t have a place in our squad but you have to imagine his upside and utility are limited.

Just now, Floortom said:

Just got back from the game. My thoughts 

1. The crowd was actually quite good. Was bigger and more energetic than I expected. And they were rewarded with a pretty embarrassing performance.

2. Surprised to read many of these thoughts here. We drew at home to Guadeloupe and apparently most of our players were good according to reviews here.

3. Only positive surprise for me was Ahmed - who I have watched very little of this year in Vancouver. In person you can see how quick he is and his ability in tight spaces. Will be interesting to see how he develops in the next two years.

4. Osorio was terrible - consecutive horrendous performances in a Canadian shirt. I get he’s just coming back from injury but he’s nowhere near good enough right now.

5.  I had seen a bit of McGraw with Portland and was pretty impressed with his defensive ability. Seeing him in person was pretty surprising - just terribly slow. Doesnt mean he can’t have a place in our squad but you have to imagine his upside and utility are limited.

Osorio hasn’t been the same since his injury. It’s hard to know if he’ll ever fully recover.