CNL FINAL: Canada vs USA - Sunday, June 18th - 8:30 pm ET/5:30 pm PT - Las Vegas

7 minutes ago, Wasp said:

Definitely a frustrating night, but I think we all need to take a breath and zoom out. This is all part of the process. We used to not even sniff these kind of games and were getting smoked by the Honduras's, Panama's, and hell - Haiti's of the region prior to meeting the big dogs of USA/MEX consistently until just a few years ago. Does it sting to lose soundly in the Final? Sure. But these are the kind of games that we can build on and continue to improve.

What this game clearly shows is that we need more games against top tier opposition. The days of destroying minnows should be behind us, and we need to focus on playing as many friendlies as we can against top opposition to get reps playing against teams of the USA's quality.

With a bit of roster turnover, we can bring some fresh young talent on board and continue to build. Let's not get too down or beat up on the boys tonight. Onwards and upwards.

well said!  there are surely lessons to be learned from this tournament.  it's all about continuous improvement

Just now, sandman said:

Herdman "It will be a different squad for the World Cup" "For those who carry over, they can use this for motivation"

Some Shots 

Is it? Thought it was just a matter of fact comment that the Gold Cup squad will be missing some starters tonight.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

10x the population and a mature domestic league that is churning out tons of talent.  It will always be a massive ask for Canada to beat them.  

Not really, we beat them in Hamilton not too long ago and tied them at home shortly before that as well. We just need some CBs to come through and one more central mid fielder and it's pretty much an even game at that point. 

1 minute ago, sandman said:

Herdman "It will be a different squad for the Gold Cup" "For those who carry over, they can use this for motivation"

Some Shots 

Those weren’t shots at the team. We were always going to rotate the squad. 

2 minutes ago, sandman said:

Herdman "It will be a different squad for the Gold Cup" "For those who carry over, they can use this for motivation"

Some Shots 

I don't think this was shots.. all the players that may be transferring to other clubs this summer will skip the gold cup.

2 minutes ago, sose said:

Kennedy had a shocker tonight.

We need a replacement for Vitoria ASAP or we are going to continue to get exposed in the back in the future.  He doesn't nothing flashy but is solid as a rock back there.

I think Kennedy was thrown to the wolves as the only true CB. Vitoria absolutely needed to start alongside him.

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

I didn’t have a good feeling about this match ahead of time because of the US home advantage combined with too many of our key players coming off long periods of inactivity from injury while the Americans clearly looked shaper the other night. For this reason I don’t agree at all with the KJ post-game ballistic rant - you could see this result and the lack of sharpness coming from a mile away. I don’t think they moved Davies for the reason that he said, and it’s somewhat hilarious that Herdman said everything that KJ said he didn’t want to hear.

larin cant finish in very high stake games...simply happened again...its a mental thing

instead of a swan song for hutchinson hoilett is subbed in down by two with five minutes to go

and the cherry on top montagliani giving runner up medals with a big smile to players who want his head for the csb stuff

9 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

USA started like 4 players younger than him.

I noticed that too. The announcer said that there were four US starters 20 years old, I think. The US has such greater depth.

I wonder how many US players come through their U-17, 20 and 23 programs. They have certainly gained some dual nationals of late, one of them a goal scorer tonight.

Canada's clear task is to work much harder and better with the youth and scouting to identify and develop (ie give visible international experience) players faster and more efficiently.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

“that’s what 10 extra days of preparation gets you” sounds very pointed 

It’s actually pretty embarrassing to try to use this as an excuse after that performance tonight.  I know we all knew it was coming with any kind of shortfall this week, but what a joke.

Edited by trc2014

6 minutes ago, sandman said:

Some Shots 

Its not a shot, the big name players were always deserving a break. There's 6 weeks until the euro league preseason starts. Would be cruel to call them in to slug out another 3 weeks then get a whole 2 weeks off before being fully back into it.

The problem is that what works against the non-USA/MEX countries in the region doesn't work against better teams. Davies, Laryea, and Buchanan can skip past weaker defenders with ease and create tons of chances against weaker opposition, but against better teams they have the FB's to match us. Because we play so many of our games against weaker CONCACAF opposition, we've relied too much on individual talent down the wings so when that gets shut down we just look lost. We saw that at the WC and we saw that tonight. By the end of the game we were stringing together some better chances and starting to figure out how to break them down, but by that point it was too late.

Again, the more we can play against top tier opposition outside of the region, the better we'll perform against the US in these kind of big matches.

Not surprised we lost, the US is a freakin solid and deep team.  However frustrated we didn't even give ourselves the best chance to compete. 

Qualifying for the WC was Herdman's goal, he's lost focus after that.  So many questionable decisions that don't make any sense.  Moving Davies all over the field is highschool sports.  Playing with two strikers vs this team and at the WC is just crazy and disconnected.  I understand why we tried Kennedy instead of Vitoria, but it was also a mistake.  So many questionable moves.  Wonder if Herdman isn't blinded by his ongoing political feud with CSA.