CNL FINAL: Canada vs USA - Sunday, June 18th - 8:30 pm ET/5:30 pm PT - Las Vegas

1 minute ago, Wasp said:

I really don't think we've played all that badly to be honest, this game has just highlighted that the weakest positions on our team at the moment are at CB and, unfortunately, GK. The USA just has a ton of talent and, as always in these CONCACAF tournaments, are playing at home. I also question our gameplan of trying to go over the top to the wings when the Americans have speedy backs who can match the pace of Laryea and Davies down the flanks. With the attack-first midfield that the Americans have thrown out there, I would've hoped that we would try to play down the middle and look to play through balls to the wings after we pulled their RB/LB's inside to cover.

Hopefully we make some changes either at the half or at the hour mark and we can get a goal relatively quickly to get back into this one. Otherwise, the Americans will be more than happy to sit back and defend the two goal lead knowing that they can always add to it if we get overeager on the counter.

Borjan's ball distribution is so bad. So fucking bad.

This is still a very good team, but we are currently stuck in a massive rut that we have not been able to get out of since the warm up period before the World Cup.

As Ive watched them, the mistakes they make are observable to the point of pattern. They do it again and again. And that list is long. When we are struggling in games, the pressure exaserbates these mistakes and they cant seem to get out.

We dont move up more levels until we break these patterns. 

Tactically this is a disaster. 

However the 2nd half presents the opportunity to break the mistakes that are holding us back. The conditions might just be right. Learn from it now. 

Edited by Joe Keeper

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

what team we're going to be fielding in 2026. Is Kennedy the man to replace him?  Maybe not, but let's see how he does over a full 90 minutes...

At this point the next big window is November of this year and trying to get to that Copa America. I'm not thinking 2026.

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Kennedy...he does over a full 90 minutes and watch the whole thing and not just the negatives.

1) Kennedy hasn't really played 90 minute matches this year.

2) Kennedy is on a yellow.

3) We are down by 2 goals, the risk of playing Bombito is not as great.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

difference between the two teams is the keeper...borjan turning 36 and balls going in left and right since the world cup...time to move the hell on

Just like the defence, we don’t have superior alternatives that we are arbitrarily exiling.  Our talent pool objectively isn’t as deep at the US.  We go with the guys who have earned it - and right now between the pipes that is still Milan. 

I do wonder if it is time to experiment with some sort of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 going forward. The two striker system is nice in theory but then we get games like this where Larin is no where to be found and David is having to do a lot of dirty work.

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

In 2 years for a meaningless friendly

THis is what I don't understand.  I want to see our mettle when it matters.  Otherwise we're going in with preparation against teams that are playing half speed.

Like it or not, this is the team we have.  We can wish that Tomori wasn't an idiot or that Vitoria didn't have an hour-long ice bath Thursday night, but it's not reality.  Lets test ourselves.

If we get the next goal, before the 75 minute mar or so, I think we can still make a game of it. We need some serious half time adjustments though. Need to find a way to get the attackers in the game more, instead of just spraying balls out of play.

Just now, El Hombre said:

THis is what I don't understand.  I want to see our mettle when it matters.  Otherwise we're going in with preparation against teams that are playing half speed.

Like it or not, this is the team we have.  We can wish that Tomori wasn't an idiot or that Vitoria didn't have an hour-long ice bath Thursday night, but it's not reality.  Lets test ourselves.

I want to see us win our first trophy in 23 years. Not test who our starting CB might be 3 years from now. Thats what friendlies are for. And we’ll have a lot of them with no WCQ.