CNL FINAL: Canada vs USA - Sunday, June 18th - 8:30 pm ET/5:30 pm PT - Las Vegas

Just now, El Hombre said:

Meh, disagree.  If he would've stopped the Balogun goal, I'm sure he would've been exposed elsewhere.  Right now we're playing monday morning quarterback.  At some point we need to start thinking of what team we're going to be fielding in 2026.  That one damn sure won't include Vitoria.  Is Kennedy the man to replace him?  Maybe not, but let's see how he does over a full 90 minutes and watch the whole thing and not just the negatives.

We’re trying to win our first trophy in 23 years. Now isnt the time to see who our 2026 starting cb is. Now is about now. 

set up some friendlies in 2 years 

6 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Or we work it the fuck out and figure out what we're going to do without a 36 year-old centerback.

I really don't think Vitoria is the saviour that everyone thinks he is.  And he ain't getting younger or faster.

Agreed.  Our CB’s are just not good enough when we match up against higher level competition.

Edited by TOcanadafan

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

This isnt about the future. This is about now. Vittoria would’ve been an upgrade to Kennedy. agreed we have major problems relying on a 36 yr old

If not now, then when?

Gold Cup: everyone has sent their B-team, now's our chance.

Copa America: We have to beat BRazil and Argentina to show we belong.

There's always an excuse.

4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, I'll make contact with your backheel.

wait aminute, that doesn't make sense....

Doesn't make sense that you cant see an obvious foul on a slo-mo replay that everyone even Laryea didn't complain about. I tried to call out where the contact was but whatever I guess the obvious doesn't make sense to you.

I really don't think we've played all that badly to be honest, this game has just highlighted that the weakest positions on our team at the moment are at CB and, unfortunately, GK. The USA just has a ton of talent and, as always in these CONCACAF tournaments, are playing at home. I also question our gameplan of trying to go over the top to the wings when the Americans have speedy backs who can match the pace of Laryea and Davies down the flanks. With the attack-first midfield that the Americans have thrown out there, I would've hoped that we would try to play down the middle and look to play through balls to the wings after we pulled their RB/LB's inside to cover.

Hopefully we make some changes either at the half or at the hour mark and we can get a goal relatively quickly to get back into this one. Otherwise, the Americans will be more than happy to sit back and defend the two goal lead knowing that they can always add to it if we get overeager on the counter.

Now that the disappointed has settled in and my brain has resumed regular programming, ultimately I'm still very happy how far we've come.

Also if this game gets those dummy "CANMNT4EVER" accounts on social media to finally shut up that's a positive.

Edited by VinceA

20 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Good enough for what? I dont believe him or Kamal are near good enough against top 20 teams like the USA. Sure, against El Salvador and Honduras they will be more than sufficient. 

I just don't think he'd be exposed in a 5 nearly as much. 

None of our defense is really good enough. Johnston is our best defender and even he's a Scottish League guy. 

40 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Nothing against our defenders who have been great for us these last few years.  
But their level of play really drops against top level opponents.

Because we're giving up a player in playing two strikers!  What the F is the point in playing two strikers if we can't get them the ball?  This is the WC all over again.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Maybe it's just me, but the only big match Canada has on its calendar in the next 3 years isn't the match to be auditioning replacements.

I'm a trial by fire guy.  If everyone wants to blame Kennedy then there's nothing I can do to change that.  For me, it's good to see what we have.

I also trust Herdman.  He wants to win this one so I don't think he's scuttling the team on purpose.  Vitoria has to be on the bench for a reason.  Saying that he would immediately solve all problems is short-sighted and naive.