CNL: Canada vs Panama - Thursday, June 15th - 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Las Vegas area

As I asked in another thread, are we sticking with 3-5-2 , back to 3-4-3, or something else?

If it's the first selection, Laryea has been in very good form so he would get the start with Davies at the wingback (though Davies is another off of a longer injury issue), with David and Larin up top, Buchanan off the bench.  Two of the three in the middle are Staq and Kone.  The other?  I would prefer Osorio but he's back from a relatively long lay off with only one match under his belt, but his style of play as a linking player shouldn't be too affected and he should be able to give us a good 60-70 minutes.

The speedy Kennedy, Vitoria, and Johnston play in front of Borjan.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I know we all loved that Davies goal, but the two goals that followed were probably our best team moves of the entire WCQ (perhaps only Osorio at Azteca is close). The whole team was buzzing for the last half hour.

Plus the "team goal" that Larin scored vs the US in Hamilton. 1 touch footie from Miller, Oso, David, Larin

Yeah, I remember the goal onslaught in the second half of the 4-1 win in Toronto, but I also remember the loss in Panama, and the nervous first hour of that game in Toronto, with Panama scoring first and a couple of times Panama just passing it around for minutes with us unable to touch the ball. I think they are a good team. We could come out and smash them, but we could also lose to this team.

As for the time of the game, I lucked out with my own team's game happening right before, rather than during or even after. My game will be ending just minutes before Canada vs Panama kick off but I live close by. It's going to be a mad dash home to see if I can catch kick off, or at least not miss more than a minute or two.

Just now, Kent said:

Yeah, I remember the goal onslaught in the second half of the 4-1 win in Toronto, but I also remember the loss in Panama

The loss in Panama was with half of the starters on the bench and the rest surely hungover. Not going to put a lot of stock into that result. 

Panama are a good team, but not one that Canada should lose to with a decent performance. 

Just now, jonovision said:

The loss in Panama was with half of the starters on the bench and the rest surely hungover. Not going to put a lot of stock into that result. 

Panama are a good team, but not one that Canada should lose to with a decent performance. 

Sure, we've got excuses for that loss. I thought we already had excuses for this upcoming game too though. Not enough prep time plus apparently it's going to be 35 degrees at kick off in Las Vegas (I have no idea, is the stadium air conditioned?) We can probably come up with more excuses after the fact too. Hutch, Davies, and Osorio haven't been playing, etc.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Sure, we've got excuses for that loss. I thought we already had excuses for this upcoming game too though. Not enough prep time plus apparently it's going to be 35 degrees at kick off in Las Vegas (I have no idea, is the stadium air conditioned?) We can probably come up with more excuses after the fact too. Hutch, Davies, and Osorio haven't been playing, etc.

Climate-controlled indoor stadium.

One could try to make excuses should Canada lose this match, but I won't be buying it. The Panama match last March had no importance whatsoever (to us). If we lose this match by being outplayed, I'd be near to Herdman Out territory.

Edited by jonovision

Superior quality

For today's match we have a clear advantage in player quality. We have a core that is the same as the World Cup, and the legacy of our fast start and pressure vs. Belgium, which we need to repeat here. We need our best players to excel. 

The Start

While Herdman argues we are not as ready out of the blocks, because of short prep, I think we will be. It is a question of imposing the superiority and not letting ourselves relax or slip up. 

Vs Panama at home in qualifying we were scored on early and had to come back. It was a lot harder than it may have seemed. Holding early and not getting into a situation of catch-up is important. 

Managing the squad

We have players coming off injuries. If you have to go deep into a match to get your result, or from behind, then you force all your squad to go harder, which even if you succeed could leave you with recurring physical problems for the final.

The best way to reduce that stress factor is to get ahead early and hit on the counter, allowing us to play more sprightly. Being ahead also means we may be able to sit deeper later on, be less exposed, and reduce risks of cards. 

Rest and Prep for Sunday

Winning in regular time will also be a positive. Playing 90 instead of 120. Which even if we go through means more stress on players, injuries, knocks, cards. 

The US-Mexico goes later and the recovery time is minor, a question of hours. However, if they go to 120 minutes plus penalties, and given the intensity of their rivalry, that may benefit us slightly. We should prefer to go into a final vs. a rival that is a bit beaten up and run rough, even if we are talking about going again in 3 days.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

While Herdman argues we are not as ready out of the blocks, because of short prep, I think we will be.

This. 

I think with all the discussion (this thread or another, can't remember) of Herdman's failings at the WC, I think the main one (and at least the one HE will remember most) is his misstep in saying F* Croatia in the media and giving their squad and entire country a rallying point.

While I think that his beef with the CSA in the recent interviews is genuine frustration covered over with a bit of politeness, I think that him saying that we will struggle in the first 10-20 minutes because of only 4 days of training is just gamesmanship in the media.  Instead of giving Panama some locker room material, give them some semi-plausible expectation to be over-confident.  Behind closed doors, I'm sure JH is reminding the guys of the slow opening to the WCQ game in Toronto, and encouraging them to come out flying, regardless of the number of training days they have had or not had.  Come out hard, we're so close, do it for Atiba, we have the quality, etc. etc.  There's no final without a win, so they will come out hard.

From the many videos over the past 2 yrs, it's clear that the players are a very, very close unit. They seem to really get along and  that's  given Canada the edge when we played the US & Mexico in WCQ. With results the team & fans have expectations. It's a natural progression. Does not mean they  or us disrespect opponents. It's a 1 off game and anything can happen, but we should expect a positive result. We  have to move forward and not constantly be looking in the rear view mirror about games 4+ yrs ago. I'm sure the players aren't...besides, most of them weren't around 🙂. Let's go boys!

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Am i crazy or is this field narrow? Like not regulation size?

It does look narrow but regulation size is a tolerance. I believe width is between 70-80 meters. Teams like barca want 80 meters while stoke city of 2000's want it to be 70 meters. 

Id assume we want a bigger field vs panama for our wing play? But against the USA/Mexico we want it to be smaller to prevent them from winning the middle battle?