Olivia Smith

Posted (edited)

Smith got her 13th in a 1-1 result in a Taça de Portugal semi. Benfica advances 2-1 on aggregate. 

Alidou went the full 90. She got into it with Smith in Canadian v Canadian beefing.

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cornerkick said:

Might be bound for Liverpool?

Liverpool should be a better fit than the previously rumoured Arsenal. Smith will get more playing time and can grow with the team.

FSG has finally decided that women's football is worthy of investing in. They have a team of upcoming talents in the vein of Smith, finished 4th and moved to a better ground. 

34 minutes ago, red card said:

Liverpool should be a better fit than the previously rumoured Arsenal. Smith will get more playing time and can grow with the team.

FSG has finally decided that women's football is worthy of investing in. They have a team of upcoming talents in the vein of Smith, finished 4th and moved to a better ground. 

They are still playing their home games at Tranmere's stadium, but the club did buy back the Melwood training base for the women's team last year. For those that don't know, Melwood was the training base for the men's team for about 70 years before they moved to the new, state-of-the-art facility at Kirkby. Kirkby hosts all of the men's and youth teams, but the club caught major criticism for not including the women's program when the new facility was set up. They finally managed to quell some of that criticism by buying back Melwood from the housing developers who'd bought it from then a few years earlier. So, the Liverpool women's team now trains every day on the grounds where Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, and the rest of the Boot Room club legends moulded the teams that would win 4 European Cups.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cornerkick said:

Is it possible her exclusion from the Olympic squad was due to her change of clubs?  Can Liverpool request that she not participate in the Olympics?

Or maybe Bev is an Everton fan?

Or maybe she is very young and will go to many Olympics after this one, but this could be the last one for whoever she would displace.  I have to think that such a thought would go through Priestman's mind.

It's also smaller rosters with only 18 instead of the usual 23/26. For the alternates, I know they said they wanted multi-positional players in case of injuries, so I can understand how they had to make some tough cuts and probably decided to focus on experience with the limited spots

• 1 month later...

Based on what I saw at the Olympics, if she continues her rising road of development in WSL at Liverpool, the door is wide open for her to get a regular first choice place with the WNT so I am keen to see how she does.