Taryck TJ Tahid

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

nope, it was basically a frustration sub from ghotbi

It seems to me like maybe Tahid is going through growing pains. 

maybe the hype got to him and he hasn’t earned his minutes and not the frustration sub. 

Definitely a way back for him but seems like he needs to shape up.

I think a lot of young players who dominate their age group or a lower level get a cold shower when they move to a more competitive level and don't realize how much effort they need to put in during the game and between games.

In an earlier interview this year, Bambito mentioned how the veteran players spent a couple of hours in the weight room before practice and it was an eye opener for him. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Not trying to dump on the player but he didn't look ready to play on the weekend. He wasnt the only one. Clearly the coach doesn't feel he's at the level at the moment. Still really really young. I think he needs a bit of time. Probably another case of unfair expectations on a young player

I know people have been very high on him and to be fair, I never watched him with VFC.  But when he played for Canada U17s, I thought his defensive instincts and effort were terrible. He was good going forward but frequently caused so many attacks against us down his side as he wasn’t in the right position, not tracking back or putting in any real effort. I thought that won’t cut it as a professional. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Has the player regressed or has VFC just improved? This guy was seemingly the next big thing a short time ago..

both...yesterday he also looked heavier than last year and wasnt running like last year...so maybe that + no form because of playing very little means there was no sharpness...at this point the manager doesnt believe in him either...he always has a few players in his doghouse and currently tahid is surely one of them

Honestly, all I know about him is that he scored a couple goals and was really young. I've seen the goals, but can't remember them. I feel like they were more about finishing while in a good position rather than doing anything eye-popping. What are his strengths? Was he a good player before this season or was he just OK and was only remarkable because of his age and that he happened to put in a couple unspectacular goals? I had high hopes for him, but it might have just been based on the kind of insights you can get from looking at a player's transfermarkt page.

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2024 at 9:12 PM, Kent said:

Honestly, all I know about him is that he scored a couple goals and was really young. I've seen the goals, but can't remember them. I feel like they were more about finishing while in a good position rather than doing anything eye-popping. What are his strengths? Was he a good player before this season or was he just OK and was only remarkable because of his age and that he happened to put in a couple unspectacular goals? I had high hopes for him, but it might have just been based on the kind of insights you can get from looking at a player's transfermarkt page.

Hanson Boakai reborn.

We always do this with young kids who have a flash of success.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Through hard work and perseverance he escaped the dog house and got on as a sub last night. His career is saved.

all jokes aside nice to see he broke back into the lineup.

He's a talented kid, imo. Had a couple of nice touches in very limited minutes and he attacks with more confidence than most of the adults on the team.

Would love to see him defend or press, where applicable, with as much enthusiasm.

Was sitting near his family yesterday. It's a good brood, very nice people.

22 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Hanson Boakai reborn.

We always do this with young kids who have a flash of success.

I think part of it is that a lot of us are really rooting for CPL to discover and fully produce a really solid talent.   So when a kid shows up that looks like he may be the big one, people get understandably excited.  

29 minutes ago, nolando said:

He's a talented kid, imo. Had a couple of nice touches in very limited minutes and he attacks with more confidence than most of the adults on the team.

Would love to see him defend or press, where applicable, with as much enthusiasm.

Was sitting near his family yesterday. It's a good brood, very nice people.

He’s 17 and been with the team for a year, I’m sure he’s going to figure it out it’s early.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...which is kind of why you need a full youth academy structure if you are serious about player development so guys like him get worthwhile minutes to develop. The L1BC season is over now so where does he get to play competitively at the moment?

VFC will apparently have a U19 team in the FVSL this fall/winter, although TJ was ripping up Vancouver U19s two years ago so I doubt he (or Grady) will be satisfied with that option.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think part of it is that a lot of us are really rooting for CPL to discover and fully produce a really solid talent.   So when a kid shows up that looks like he may be the big one, people get understandably excited.  

What do you consider a really solid talent? Players are always going to be snatched up by bigger teams, so a certain caliber of player is unlikely to be fully developed by CPL anytime soon

Is the idea of how CanPL have structured their salary cap not that guys that get signed to a pro deal under 18 are given multi-year contract options so they don't count against it until the year they turn 22? Best place for him over the winter in the Vancouver area in terms of playing quality would probably be with a top VMSL club but can he even do that if he is on a long term pro contract given that's an amateur league?

https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/

...The Exceptional Young Talent designation, implemented in 2023, allows a CPL Club to sign up to two additional Under-18 domestic players to Standard Player Contracts outside of its 23-man Primary Roster. A player designated Exceptional Young Talent is eligible to remain in the category up to and including the year he turns 21 years old. For the 2024 League Season, new players signed under this designation must be born Jan. 1, 2006 or later to be eligible to be signed as an Exceptional Young Talent Player...

...Players signed by a CPL Club under the Exceptional Young Talent designation will receive no less than the current player minimum salary. The minimum salary paid to a player designated an Exceptional Young Talent, as well as any monetary support for education, will not count toward a CPL Club’s Player Compensation Budget. Portions of Club bonuses as well as housing costs paid to a player designated Exceptional Young Talent will also remain outside of a CPL Club’s Player Compensation Budget...

All fine and dandy in development terms if a player is good enough to start regularly as a teenager and is worth splashing some serious money on over and above the cap because he is a genuinely exceptional talent but this whole setup won't necessarily work so well for players that are not high flyers like that and are only receiving occasional token first team minutes when the coach feels a need to satisfy the 2000 minute rule and not a lot else during a critical phase of their development.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

31 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Is the idea of how CanPL have structured their salary cap not that guys that get signed to a pro deal under 18 are given multi-year contract options so they don't count against it until the year they turn 22? Best place for him over the winter in the Vancouver area in terms of playing quality would probably be with a top VMSL club but can he even do that if he is on a long term pro contract given that's an amateur league?

https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/

...The Exceptional Young Talent designation, implemented in 2023, allows a CPL Club to sign up to two additional Under-18 domestic players to Standard Player Contracts outside of its 23-man Primary Roster. A player designated Exceptional Young Talent is eligible to remain in the category up to and including the year he turns 21 years old. For the 2024 League Season, new players signed under this designation must be born Jan. 1, 2006 or later to be eligible to be signed as an Exceptional Young Talent Player...

...Players signed by a CPL Club under the Exceptional Young Talent designation will receive no less than the current player minimum salary. The minimum salary paid to a player designated an Exceptional Young Talent, as well as any monetary support for education, will not count toward a CPL Club’s Player Compensation Budget. Portions of Club bonuses as well as housing costs paid to a player designated Exceptional Young Talent will also remain outside of a CPL Club’s Player Compensation Budget...

All fine and dandy in development terms if a player is good enough to start regularly as a teenager and is worth splashing some serious money on over and above the cap because he is a genuinely exceptional talent but this whole setup won't necessarily work so well for players that are not high flyers like that and are only receiving occasional token first team minutes when the coach feels a need to satisfy the 2000 minute rule and not a lot else during a critical phase of their development.

Until a team starts to profit off a 18 year old’s transfer there’s going to be resistance. Think it was Oliver Gage who said there’s tons of internal league pushback on the youth rules because the owners think that young is 24…. Clubs need to learn that the money is in the younger playersz

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

What do you consider a really solid talent? Players are always going to be snatched up by bigger teams, so a certain caliber of player is unlikely to be fully developed by CPL anytime soon

I would like to see a CPL team recruit a kid who ends up being a substantial player for the national team.   Someone who could potentially compete in CPL at around 17 and whose sale would both improve the finances of the selling club and increase the profile of the league as a pathway for elite prospects to turn pro.    Along with the sort of league journeyman and top players that were discussed recently (think Tabla and Bekker) I think that the young prospect is the last piece of the puzzle.   Some guys have moved on from CPL to other pro opportunities but I don’t think anyone has really carved out a path that others will see as a priority when choosing career pathways.  I know transfers to MLS etc have happened, but I am talking more about someone who will really capture the imagination.   I want CPL to find their David, Kone or Bombito - all guys who seemed to be ripe for this sort of opportunity at one point or another.        

25 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Until a team starts to profit off a 18 year old’s transfer there’s going to be resistance. Think it was Oliver Gage who said there’s tons of internal league pushback on the youth rules because the owners think that young is 24…. Clubs need to learn that the money is in the younger playersz

If that's true it's so wrong. Some of the star players at the recent  Euros were teens or 20/21. Top 5 leagues have teens that get playing time on a regular basis. Surely we have U20 players that are good enough to play in the CPL.  2000 mins per club is not unreasonable.

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If that's true it's so wrong. Some of the star players at the recent  Euros were teens or 20/21. Top 5 leagues have teens that get playing time on a regular basis. Surely we have U20 players that are good enough to play in the CPL.  2000 mins per club is not unreasonable.

Oh we definitely have them, but the buy in has to be there. Would think York and Pacific see a payoff soon.

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would like to see a CPL team recruit a kid who ends up being a substantial player for the national team.   Someone who could potentially compete in CPL at around 17 and whose sale would both improve the finances of the selling club and increase the profile of the league as a pathway for elite prospects to turn pro.    Along with the sort of league journeyman and top players that were discussed recently (think Tabla and Bekker) I think that the young prospect is the last piece of the puzzle.   Some guys have moved on from CPL to other pro opportunities but I don’t think anyone has really carved out a path that others will see as a priority when choosing career pathways.  I know transfers to MLS etc have happened, but I am talking more about someone who will really capture the imagination.   I want CPL to find their David, Kone or Bombito - all guys who seemed to be ripe for this sort of opportunity at one point or another.        

I understand what you're looking for. I think it would be a boost to the league and the club that had such a player. Hell, TJ was a major marketable asset for VFC last year. It's obviously difficult to find such a player in the first place while hoping that their preference isn't the MLS or NCAA route.  Which is why I've found it all the more surprising that I've recently been seeing posts from people here about how "this isn't a youth league" and "I don't pay to see teenagers play."  I would think this is exactly the kind of player you'd pay to see play, before he's off to Europe and a bigger league. But, just like some coaches being set in a "must win now" mode, I think that's where some (but certainly not all) fans are as well - they'd far rather see a Cup win than develop the next big Canadian player, and they'll sacrifice playing veterans to do it.

Tahid, Cameron, Grady--you can't be a teen and not be playing regularly. Just being on CPL roster is not enough. Some would say, well, he was dominating at that lower level. Then let him dominate. You have to play game situations, 25-30 a year, every week. 

Another reason why NCAA or U-Sports is totally insufficient.

So the whole theory about bringing in these kids and then not having a B or reserve team to let them get minutes on, it's a flaw. CPL is not a league for teens, not really, but then has been reticent to create a u-19 academy system to bolster late teen development. For me its mistaken. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tahid, Cameron, Grady--you can't be a teen and not be playing regularly. Just being on CPL roster is not enough. Some would say, well, he was dominating at that lower level. Then let him dominate. You have to play game situations, 25-30 a year, every week. 

Another reason why NCAA or U-Sports is totally insufficient.

So the whole theory about bringing in these kids and then not having a B or reserve team to let them get minutes on, it's a flaw. CPL is not a league for teens, not really, but then has been reticent to create a u-19 academy system to bolster late teen development. For me its mistaken. 

And it was easier to play and celebrate playing Tahid and Cameron last year, when expectations were lower and the season was essentially over early.

Tahid is a fascinating case. He was definitely celebrated as eschewing the MLS system, a player that would show CPL could be for younger players. I'm not at all saying he can't still be that or it won't work out for him. But I think it's fair to say year 2 has not gone how anyone thought it would.

Edited by Watchmen

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Would think York and Pacific see a payoff soon.

I'd be thrilled if Pacific saw some money via transfer fees for the recent development we've invested in, but I just don't think it's particularly common at this level. Kevin Harmse is till the 3rd and 5th highest transfer fees the Whitecaps have ever received for a Canadian player and that was back in 2001 and 2005