Taryck TJ Tahid

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I'd be thrilled if Pacific saw some money via transfer fees for the recent development we've invested in, but I just don't think it's particularly common at this level. Kevin Harmse is till the 3rd and 5th highest transfer fees the Whitecaps have ever received for a Canadian player and that was back in 2001 and 2005

Would think Gazdov could get something, the showing by our men’s team raised the profile for everyone. Not saying he goes for millions but they know there’s talent and that it’s not the most expensive. 

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Until a team starts to profit off a 18 year old’s transfer there’s going to be resistance. Think it was Oliver Gage who said there’s tons of internal league pushback on the youth rules because the owners think that young is 24…. Clubs need to learn that the money is in the younger playersz

Agree with the general thrust of what you are saying. It's worth bearing in mind also that there are going to be certain positions on the team where imports and/or experienced domestic players will very much tend to dominate, i.e. down the spine with the possible exception of goalkeeper, from a results now standpoint.

Easier for Matteo de Brienne to emerge at left-back in Winnipeg last season than it would be for a young player in Vancouver to displace Wero Diaz up front this season even though the latter apparently couldn't cut it with a small Norwegian club like Sogndal or to start regularly in a central midfield role ahead of the likes of Fry and Garcia.

Afshin Ghotbi needs to win now to make the playoffs and keep his job so he can prolong his career. He is unlikely to care about a transfer fee Vancouver might receive a couple of years down the road. That mentality is likely to also extend to what happens in training behind the scenes and what he spends his time focusing on.

Ghotbi in an interview a while ago said one of his biggest challenges was the maturity of players in Canada. He told stories about in other parts of the world players leave home at a young age and are in a certain environment that forces them go grow up etc etc. I like that he seems to not want to coddle anyone. Let's also not forget that Tahid also seemed to have fallen out with Canada's U20 team. As an example last game in injury time protecting a lead there was a brake and instead of pushing the ball down the field TJ tried a cute little backwards flick turned it over and Pacific almost came back the other way and scored. It's these little things. It's easy for people to be like a hey lighten up Ghotbi just play the guy, we want something to be excited about. But a young player needs some adversity and Vancouver needs to win games. That's the name of the game and honestly when TJ has played he hasn't looked terrible but he certainly hasn't looked amazing. He's got lots of potential but if something is going on in practice that has turned off Ghotbi, the short stints haven't really proved him wrong

Edited by SpursFlu

13 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Would think Gazdov could get something, the showing by our men’s team raised the profile for everyone. Not saying he goes for millions but they know there’s talent and that it’s not the most expensive. 

Let's hope. If Pacific continued to be near the top of the table and he continued to win games and wrack up shutouts I think it would be more likely, but the team hasn't exactly been helping Gazdov lately.

It's a nice thought that the showing by our men’s team raised the profile for everyone, but has there been any evidence of this? The only players I can think of that got a move up were already playing for the national team

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Let's hope. If Pacific continued to be near the top of the table and he continued to win games and wrack up shutouts I think it would be more likely, but the team hasn't exactly been helping Gazdov lately.

It's a nice thought that the showing by our men’s team raised the profile for everyone, but has there been any evidence of this? The only players I can think of that got a move up were already playing for the national team

I know that Canada has been more scouted for youths but transfer wise maybe not.

With more friendlies and seeing more CPL guys (eventually we will) the league and those guys will get the exposure.