Taryck TJ Tahid

1 minute ago, nolando said:

I spoke with him face-to-face earlier this year and yes, it's clear you are talking to a man, and this was him still at 15. Like AD, it's clear he is naturally mature, but also that he has been brought up well with good guidance from a supportive family.

Got the chills when i read this.  I love reading these kind of tidbits, so exciting.

10 minutes ago, nolando said:

I spoke with him face-to-face earlier this year and yes, it's clear you are talking to a man, and this was him still at 15. Like AD, it's clear he is naturally mature, but also that he has been brought up well with good guidance from a supportive family.

That's the first thing I noticed about him- he looks a lot older and more mature than 16, and that's something you saw in Davies and to another extent something I've seen with Corbeanu too. I don't know how to quantify that into potential, but it feels like that's a really good sign for his future. If this is the player he is at 16, it'll be exciting to see where he's at at 20.

That goal would've went in in MLS too. Don't know if he'd have had the same amount of space to take that shot, but that's not just some little goal that went in because the team he's playing sucks. It's good.

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

To me he is only 16 he should stay one more year in CPL  before making the jump to the next level whether it be Europe or MLS  .  By staying put in CPL he will have the oppurtunity to grow as a player by playing more on a regular basis vs adults , 

Unless he had a Euro passport he can't go overseas until 18.

22 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Unless he had a Euro passport he can't go overseas until 18.

He has a Ghanaian one I believe and if I’m not mistaken, that would allow him to go over under the same rule that allowed Larin to be considered a domestic player in Spain (that law affects both African and Caribbean passport holders). 

I’m fine with him staying in CPL for one more year, but if he gets a chance, go for it. He has the raw skill, I’m wondering if going to a better team and trading reps for better technical development is a good trade off for him. 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He has a Ghanaian one I believe and if I’m not mistaken, that would allow him to go over under the same rule that allowed Larin to be considered a domestic player in Spain (that law affects both African and Caribbean passport holders). 

I’m fine with him staying in CPL for one more year, but if he gets a chance, go for it. He has the raw skill, I’m wondering if going to a better team and trading reps for better technical development is a good trade off for him. 

Too often young players seem to pursue opportunities abroad and get lost in the shuffle. I personally prefer that a player demonstrates they've outgrown their current situation before moving up, but in reality I think every situation needs to be evaluated independently

Hope he stays in the CPL until he's either 18 or he has a monster season, whichever comes first. And I don't mean a monster season for a teenager, I mean a monster season in general. Like, he has 3 goals right? Great and all but it's not as if he's already outgrown the level of competition. If he triples that next year and is far more dominant, than yes I would be more supportive of him leaving before the age of 18. 

For all those guys though, you have a guy like JMR who should've went abroad earlier, Simon Colyn waited- it happens for players the other way around too. I think the senior game experience at his age is really good and I'd be fine if he stays in Vancouver, but I question how his development will stack up as a 17 or 18 year old vs. players in Europe who are playing in the B teams of bigger clubs. My guess is that there are limits to how much he can learn from the CPL in terms of tactics, strategy, playing against top top talent, etc.

He's had interest from Europe already, so that'll only intensify after a solid first CPL season. I think it's important for him to continue to challenge himself and develop his abilities while he's still young and relatively on par with his international age mates. Though a good stretch of CPL starts & 90 minute appearances is probably what is best for him. I hope Vancouver is smart and showcases him properly.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

For all those guys though, you have a guy like JMR who should've went abroad earlier, Simon Colyn waited- it happens for players the other way around too. I think the senior game experience at his age is really good and I'd be fine if he stays in Vancouver, but I question how his development will stack up as a 17 or 18 year old vs. players in Europe who are playing in the B teams of bigger clubs. My guess is that there are limits to how much he can learn from the CPL in terms of tactics, strategy, playing against top top talent, etc.

He's had interest from Europe already, so that'll only intensify after a solid first CPL season. I think it's important for him to continue to challenge himself and develop his abilities while he's still young and relatively on par with his international age mates. Though a good stretch of CPL starts & 90 minute appearances is probably what is best for him. I hope Vancouver is smart and showcases him properly.

Yeah I get what Vince is saying but I agree with you that each case is different. I think if I had to approach the question generally I would say "Go to Europe but after REALLY impressing domestically". Tabla had a nice first season in Montreal, but he didn't dominate the league as Davies did, and Colyn did much less than Tabla. I think Alphonso's final season in MLS where he put up something like 8 goals and 11 assists, plus featured in the All-Star game, I feel THAT was the season that really set him up for success in Europe. If you haven't learned to dominate domestically, your odds of dominating abroad are logically less. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I get what Vince is saying but I agree with you that each case is different. I think if I had to approach the question generally I would say "Go to Europe but after REALLY impressing domestically". Tabla had a nice first season in Montreal, but he didn't dominate the league as Davies did, and Colyn did much less than Tabla. I think Alphonso's final season in MLS where he put up something like 8 goals and 11 assists, plus featured in the All-Star game, I feel THAT was the season that really set him up for success in Europe. If you haven't learned to dominate domestically, your odds of dominating abroad are logically less. 

I think what slowed Tabla down at Barcelona would've slowed him down if he stayed in Montreal or went to some middle league either. Don't wanna start that discussion again, but seems like he struggled with being away from home.

I don't think all of our players go to Europe for the same purpose though. We have all these players that jump at the first chance they get to go and be just another able body to fill the ranks of some massive Italian youth system and they end up back home at 21. You also have players like DM Michel, for example, who had this interest from Bayern, Brugge, ends up at Vitoria as a top priority and is climbing their ranks. Jonathan David had interest in the Bundesliga, then ends up going to Gent like 4 days after he turns 18 from a much worse team than any in the CPL. Liam Millar's situation is a bit different because he went to Fullham at like 13 or something and was living in England at the time, but he joined Liverpool around the same age that Tahid will be if he decides to move next year, and it panned out for him. Dad could've easily told him to go and get reps in non league play where he could've played with the men.

I think very often we credit the circumstances our players fall into as the reason things don't work out, but I think the picture factor is that some guys are just better than others. I think a lot of teams have ID' that talent in Tahid and if he makes the move, it should be to a team that identifies that unique talent and knows that they can sell him for a profit in a few seasons. Might be a bit of healthy speculation on my part, but the fact that after all that interest he ends up at a CPL expansion team tells me that he's being advised well and that he's not going to give up his spot on a pro team to go and play for some big club's U17 B team or anything.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's the Cotonou Agreement and it only applies once the player is of age (18).

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I agree that it is better to go age 16 than later, if you can. And if the club is right. You can't replace quality coaching, being alongside top tier players. If you make it or not is an entirely different question. 

I would image his father and he have a plan. Also aware that his dad's club has an agreement with Villarreal, of sorts. That'd be a fine place to end up on the u-19s, for example.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree that it is better to go age 16 than later, if you can. And if the club is right. You can't replace quality coaching, being alongside top tier players. If you make it or not is an entirely different question. 

I would image his father and he have a plan. Also aware that his dad's club has an agreement with Villarreal, of sorts. That'd be a fine place to end up on the u-19s, for example.

It's cool to hear there's a relationship with Villarreal, but he's already playing first team soccer. Would going from that to the U-19s of Villarreal really be the right move?

Reminds me of Pepple playing first team minutes for Cavalry, then going to Getafe and playing for their youth team, only to come back to Cavalry. I tend to view the whole going to Europe and trialing with youth teams a waste of time, but maybe others credit that experience for helping him come back a better player? I mean, he did get a transfer to Luton at the end of the day.

Curious to hear what people think and if they view TJ playing youth ball with Villarreal like the Pepple/Getafe situation? And if so would that be good for him? I feel like if he's leaving a first team environment in the CPL it should be to Villarreal B at least.

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's cool to hear there's a relationship with Villarreal, but he's already playing first team soccer. Would going from that to the U-19s of Villarreal really be the right move?

Reminds me of Pepple playing first team minutes for Cavalry, then going to Getafe and playing for their youth team, only to come back to Cavalry. I tend to view the whole going to Europe and trialing with youth teams a waste of time, but maybe others credit that experience for helping him come back a better player? I mean, he did get a transfer to Luton at the end of the day.

Curious to hear what people think and if they view TJ playing youth ball with Villarreal like the Pepple/Getafe situation? And if so would that be good for him? I feel like if he's leaving a first team environment in the CPL it should be to Villarreal B at least.

What is he learning in Langley? What is the level, the quality on the ball, the tactical sense, that he is learning in CPL? What sort of coaching is he hearing from a rather weak team with big holes? Especially thinking where that takes you going forward.

For me, if he is in any solid European academy, where he'd be a first year u-19, he is developing far more completely. And being tested. And seeing the standard expected.

The real problem with Pepple was not going to Getafe. He went in January, started playing u-19 in February, was active and even scoring until May. They liked him. The next season, because he was too old to continue at u-19, he took off. He took off an entire season of development, lord knows why. He killed his own projection by not signing even for a decent senior team, even 5-6th tier, and playing a year to keep growing.

In any case, TJ is a step ahead of Pepple, or to take another who was in a Liga academy briefly (got injured) and is his teammate, Cantave, or Piette even, because he would not be going at the end of u19, he'd be going with years eligibility left. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Ah, didn’t know that you had to be 18. That solves it then, he’s here for the next two years at least. 

Yea, it's child trafficking in the eyes of FIFA. Barca and other big clubs were criminal to this.

The ones who can leave early, have European ancestry. The other option is if your parents move to said country for a job opportunity not related to soccer. 

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is he learning in Langley?

What playing for a first team looks and feels like.

What is the level, the quality on the ball, the tactical sense, that he is learning in CPL?

If you are suggesting the level, quality on the ball, and tactical sense is better at Villarreal U-19 than Vancouver FC, I will not argue it.

What sort of coaching is he hearing from a rather weak team with big holes? Especially thinking where that takes you going forward.

Same as above.

..............................................................................................................................................

To flip this on it's head, what if he goes to the U-19s and doesn't stand out tactically or technically? Does he progress to the B side? Does he get loaned out eventually to a 3rd divison team or lower? Seems like a grim outlook. 

Right now he's in a men's environment that's inferior in many ways, but what about the mental development he's undergoing right now by virtue of playing with men? The more he can stand out in the CPL the more it will shape his identity as a star. If he goes to Villarreal U-19 isn't he just one amongst many, nothing special? 

I agree there may be tactical or technical gaps in his game if he remains here, but I see how it could shape and mold his character from a young age to be a star. Your thoughts?

I should add, once he learns to dominate he has to absolutely go to a better level pretty much right away. If he is a dominant 18 year old in the CPL, let's say, he could maybe go right into a Ligue 2 first team for example, maybe even better, whereas if he goes the youth route now he could remain stuck a youth player by the time he is 18.

Look at Lucas Dias at Sporting was fantastic for our U-23 team as an under aged player, but he's still stuck in the Sporting youth system, barely even playing for the B team far as I know. 

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

What playing for a first team looks and feels like.

If you are suggesting the level, quality on the ball, and tactical sense is better at Villarreal U-19 than Vancouver FC, I will not argue it.

Same as above.

..............................................................................................................................................

To flip this on it's head, what if he goes to the U-19s and doesn't stand out tactically or technically? Does he progress to the B side? Does he get loaned out eventually to a 3rd divison team or lower? Seems like a grim outlook. 

Right now he's in a men's environment that's inferior in many ways, but what about the mental development he's undergoing right now by virtue of playing with men? The more he can stand out in the CPL the more it will shape his identity as a star. If he goes to Villarreal U-19 isn't he just one amongst many, nothing special? 

I agree there may be tactical or technical gaps in his game if he remains here, but I see how it could shape and mold his character from a young age to be a star. Your thoughts?

I should add, once he learns to dominate he has to absolutely go to a better level pretty much right away. If he is a dominant 18 year old in the CPL, let's say, he could maybe go right into a Ligue 2 first team for example, maybe even better, whereas if he goes the youth route now he could remain stuck a youth player by the time he is 18.

Look at Lucas Dias at Sporting was fantastic for our U-23 team as an under aged player, but he's still stuck in the Sporting youth system, barely even playing for the B team far as I know. 

The "first team minutes" narrative has been big on this board for decades, literally. We saw it with Jamie Peters, with Wyn Belotte, others. Canada fans seem to really prefer it and I feel you can't argue against it here. It's all shortcuts and fast tracks and getting the best possible education in your profession seems to matter little.

I'm sort of shocked by it, mostly because it goes against the values of our country, which I think is the country with the most average years studying in the world. 

Except for the true prodigies who are above everything, normally when you're young and talented those who love and care about you say "look we can't teach you anything more here, you need to go somewhere where you'll be challenged."

If TJ goes to a u-19 program, say Villareal just because that's a connection his dad has set up, and excels, then he trains occasionally with the first team and may get called up. If not, he develops skills of the highest quality (like Lucas Días btw). If he stays in cpl and excels he gets to play more minutes in Cpl.

Final thing: do people really believe a kid playing in the Sporting Lisbon system is a failure because he hasn't gotten a first team contract aged 20?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist