Taryck TJ Tahid

Just now, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't disagree, but having seen the rise of Davies at the Caps and having seen TJ play a few times live, I do think there are some general comparisons. TJ is nothing like Coupland who is still not a man. TJ looks physically and psychologically mature in the same way AD did when he arrived.TJ is missing blistering pace and trickery, but the physical/mental tools suggest he will get to a higher level. Probably not Bayern, but certainly into the National team pool if he keeps developing.

So more of a Jonathan David-lite, perhaps? Not necessarily in terms of positional profile, but possibly in mental and physical tools? David from what I gather was mature beyond his years at a young age, especially in terms of his movement, and obviously his speed is a great physical asset.

Thoughts?

35 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Be salty if you like, but the #1 pastime on this board over the years has been hyping young players to the moon. Scoring 2 goals as a 16 year in the CPL is great. It doesn't mean he's going to get to a higher level or even still be in the game when he's 25. "How long until he moves to Europe!!!????!!!" posts should be incoming soon, I'm sure.

Pepple was highly regarded too (ok not as hyped as TJ).

Even a player like Pacius seemed to be tearing up the league 2 seasons ago but has stalled now.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So more of a Jonathan David-lite, perhaps? Not necessarily in terms of positional profile, but possibly in mental and physical tools? David from what I gather was mature beyond his years at a young age, especially in terms of his movement, and obviously his speed is a great physical asset.

Thoughts?

Yes, he seems intelligent. Read the play very well on that goal last night,

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Did anyone say Madrid?

Not directed at you specifically, but doesn’t the whole “being excited about a prospect is lame you guys” thing get boring quick? I mean, maybe he busts. Maybe Jonathan David never leaves France. Maybe we’ve already reached the pinnacle of Canadian soccer during our lifetimes and we’re on the back 9 as far as this generation goes. Talking about the potential of the most exciting prospect in our domestic league that should explicitly serve to churn out that exact type of player is a lot more interesting than being cynical about the whole thing. Maybe he becomes Ballou Tabla, but since none of us are employed as talent scouts, it won’t matter if he does, we’ll just move onto the next future Real Madrid prospect in our pool.

I get it. And I am not saying it is lame to get excited about a kid.  I just shake my head a bit at the hyperbole train… 

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Am I overreacting in saying this may be the biggest talent we’ve had since Davies?

16 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

…this kid is easily going to demand the largest transfer fee in league history…

I am just saying that we shouldn’t burden the kid with crazy-high expectations.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get it. And I am not saying it is lame to get excited about a kid.  I just shake my head a bit at the hyperbole train… 

Yeah, I mean I don't think he's Davies yet, think the person who posted that knows they're being a bit hyperbolic, but hey, not every day we have a 16 year old scoring goals at a pro level, especially right after he gets his start.

About the largest transfer fee of all time, not sure how accurate transfermarkt is, but they're saying the highest transfer fee in CPL history is Borges to Belgium for 218k EUR. Unless he falls off a cliff in the next year and a half, I don't think it'll be hard for some team in Europe to pay at least 300k for him.

54 minutes ago, narduch said:

Pepple was highly regarded too (ok not as hyped as TJ).

Even a player like Pacius seemed to be tearing up the league 2 seasons ago but has stalled now.

Tyler Attardo scored 6 goals in 2019 when he was 17/18 years old. He made an overseas move that was terrible and now plays for FC Manitoba.

Adonijah Reid scored 20(!) goals for ANB  Futbol in league1 Ontario as a 15 year old (!) and was the 2nd coming of Christ. He was drafted by FC Dallas in MLS and never got a sniff with them but scored 5 goals with Ottawa Fury on loan as a teenager.

Shamit Shome played 26 games for FC Edmonton in the NASL (a better league than the current CPL is, according to one current CPL coach who I spoke to this year) as a 17 year old. He ended up being a squad player with Montreal in MLS and has been back in the CPL for the last several years.

Tristan Borges scored 12 goals for Forge in 2019 at the age of 19. He made a move to Europe and played a grand total of 4 games before returning to the CPL.

All of which to say: 1 good season in the CPL means absolutely nothing for career trajectory.

At a minimum,  I think young players should show they can excel in the CPL over 2-3 seasons before starting to look abroad.

Consistency is a key for professionals, especially young ones. Young players in CPL simply havent had it yet.

Edited by Soccerpro2

Its still better than a shitty season.  Thing is he isnt a real professional, and according to many "pros" they never took it all seriously (diet, exercise, health, training etc) until deep into their careers.  The younger these kids get exposed to real "pros" and see what its going to take to make it up the ladder the better.  

Frankly I always sit up and take notice when a 15 - 17 year old plays well in a professional league against grown men.  That's just because I know that kid has at least a couple more rungs of physical development in them if nothing else.  However, the question is always whether their technical abilities, tactical acumen, and on-field IQ also develops accordingly.  Sadly it often doesn't.

I remember when Simon Colyn subbed in for Davies as a 16 year old with the Whitecaps, and thinking "Wow, even though this kid is tiny, he's doing ok - imagine when he fills out!"  Well, he's filled out now, but I don't think the other parts of his game have.  😟

56 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Frankly I always sit up and take notice when a 15 - 17 year old plays well in a professional league against grown men.  That's just because I know that kid has at least a couple more rungs of physical development in them if nothing else.  However, the question is always whether their technical abilities, tactical acumen, and on-field IQ also develops accordingly.  Sadly it often doesn't.

I remember when Simon Colyn subbed in for Davies as a 16 year old with the Whitecaps, and thinking "Wow, even though this kid is tiny, he's doing ok - imagine when he fills out!"  Well, he's filled out now, but I don't think the other parts of his game have.  😟

That's the thing about TJ. He's already got the look of a young man about him. Early days, though, I will concede.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This applies to the club as well.  When you're drawing 2200, it's going to be tempting to say "come out and watch the next Davies" in an attempt to drive interest, regardless of how he's playing.

Edited by Watchmen

4 hours ago, GasPed said:

I mean Colyn lost 2 years and the Whitecaps made him sit…

Would think Tahid will be pretty decent.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s a man’s goal. He’s gonna look great with the U17s

I spoke with him face-to-face earlier this year and yes, it's clear you are talking to a man, and this was him still at 15. Like AD, it's clear he is naturally mature, but also that he has been brought up well with good guidance from a supportive family.