CSA Elections May 2023

BigAndy: here is a bio of Newman I found, it might fill in a little of the details for you.  

"Rob grew up in rural Saskatchewan and is a proud citizen of the Métis Nation of Saskatchewan. Rob's journey as a volunteer began when he joined the board of Saskatoon Youth Soccer. Increasingly aware of the value of sport and volunteerism, he was next elected as a board member and then President of Saskatchewan Soccer. Rob then sat on the board of the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) for 9 years. While with the CSA, he served as the vice president responsible for governance, which led to changes that are still in place today.

Rob is currently the CEO of Sport BC and SBC Insurance. In addition, Rob is the Chair of the National Sport Trust Fund and Vice-Chair of KidSport Canada.

Rob strongly believes that sport can help build happier and healthier communities, while at the same time providing important life lessons to children and youth."

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think the only thing I've seen is that Newman wants to void the CSB deal

And then renegotiated is apparently what he said in this week's video pitch to voters.

He also wants to bring Canada Soccer's foundation to life. Last year in a Westhead article, he lamented his suggestion to build up the foundation in 2012 never took hold.

Note also this is for a 1 year term only since that is remaining time on Bontis term. So, if Crooks gets the players' deal done and gets CSB deal tweaked, she is likely to be re-elected. Newman is taking on more risk in that he'll need to renegotiate bigger changes with CSB in a year.

Edited by red card

Not sure that you can renegotiate something if you have voided it. He should probably just say that he wants to renegotiate, although given that the incumbent CSA folks were saying that (at least before they resigned), I guess that doesn't distinguish him enough.

I also find it somewhat peculiar that the group that is accusing the CSA of being a bunch of "old boys" who favour things for the men are backing a male candidate over a female one who only just got into the presidential position.

19 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think the only thing I've seen is that Newman wants to void the CSB deal

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure that you can renegotiate something if you have voided it. He should probably just say that he wants to renegotiate, although given that the incumbent CSA folks were saying that (at least before they resigned), I guess that doesn't distinguish him enough.

I also find it somewhat peculiar that the group that is accusing the CSA of being a bunch of "old boys" who favour things for the men are backing a male candidate over a female one who only just got into the presidential position.

How can he void it?  Is there a clause in the Agreement that I haven't heard about?  Surely he's not going to rely an alleged breach that occurred 3 years ago...?

2 hours ago, Metro said:

How can he void it?  Is there a clause in the Agreement that I haven't heard about?  Surely he's not going to rely an alleged breach that occurred 3 years ago...?

You would think not, and maybe he doesn't actually have a clue whether he has a legal leg to stand on - but the promise of ripping up the deal might sound good to the people who's votes he is trying to in.

3 hours ago, Metro said:

How can he void it? ...

There's a lot of talk that it was never properly approved but it seems a bit late in the day to use that as an argument to outright void it. You might as well ask how the other candidate is going to tweak it as we are assured above will happen somehow in the next year. The other party to the deal could simply say no way Jose these are the terms that are in place out to 2037.

How can people still believe that there isn't an anti-CSB/CPL agenda when even the WNT & supporters would rather support Newman who sat on the board right in the middle of it (conveniently the one who wants to rip the deal apart) over Crooks?

You cannot make this shit up.

WTF are we doing in this country

^^^normally wouldn't respond to this guy but just in case anyone is not aware of what's going on with this, only somebody who has sat on the CSA board is eligible to run for the president's job. That means nobody who is genuinely remotely suitable based on their past record with dealing with the Birarda cover up and the lack of transparency on the controversial terms and gender equity issues related to the CSB deal could be nominated this time around. The whole rancid structure needs to be completely modified before genuine reform is ever going to be possible.

Wheeler's sources say Newman isn't truly anti-CSB, only wants to rule for 1 year and was nominated by Matheson. Voters are surprised about why Newman is doing a 1 and done and confused on why Matheson is backing Newman given his baggage.

Wheeler also noted lots of changes has already happened in nearly all key paid positions: Gone with the wind are 100 years of experience with 2 General Secretaries leaving, 1 Deputy Secretary, Commercial Head & Communications Head. 

75% of the Board will also be changed by next year.

BC Soccer, Ontario, Quebec & CPL votes are going to Crooks as per Westhead. Saskatchewan's 4 votes is wavering. 

“I care deeply about our national program and the poor and inequitable treatment of our women’s team, but we won’t be changing our decision,” BC Soccer President Statton wrote TSN in a text message on Wednesday. “They need to give her a chance and work together for one year to see if there can be positive change."

Another undisclosed voter: I think there’s been a lot of change already with Nick Bontis and Earl Cochrane being let go and maybe that’s enough. We need to put this bad business of the past year behind us and start getting ready for the World Cup in 2026.

Newman won't be attending the meeting in the flesh. Westhead finally noted Newman also has baggage and he provided a pro forma reply about his involvement with the Birarda issue.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/bc-soccer-potentially-an-important-swing-vote-supporting-crooks-as-canada-soccer-president-1.1956279

Edited by red card

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Is the inequality around the CSB deal that a women's league hasn't been started yet, or is there something more to it than that?

My understanding is that their feelings are hurt from CSB not starting a league in a middle of a pandemic. How rude of CSB. 

Edited by Ansem

What a article.  Bc could be the swing vote, Sk is waffling but does he ever say who actually is supporting Newman?? And why would you give votes to teams from a league that isnt even past the "iniitial planning" stages??  

I think the thing that isnt getting talked about, is if you need to be a board member to become pres.....and bird droppings figures everyone is tainted on the board right now... are there going to be any new board members with all these brilliant ideas elegible for the next election in a year??  

And if the inequality complaint is no womens league, just look up every negative thing a certain someone says about the CPL every week and times it by two and those are the reasons that the womens league has been stalled.  If you listen to him the CPL is on the verge of losing another couple teams and tettering on the brink of total failure.  

Honestly, it’s like they’re voting for prom queen.  

I think of the Henry Kissinger quote when asked why University politics were so viscous - it’s because the stakes are so small. 

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Is the inequality around the CSB deal that a women's league hasn't been started yet, or is there something more to it than that?

The CSB, through the deal with the CSA, owns the branding rights to all national programs including the women.

The deal is, further, a de facto subsidy of the CPL from the CSA.

So, the CSA sold rights for the womens program to pay for a mens league.

Well, it didn’t happen and now someone else is doing it absent CSA subsidy. 

There is a lot to this, but it’s hard to deny the CSA prioritized the men over the women. 

Maybe there is an argument for that, but they haven’t made it - what they have said is that the professional league is independent of the federation.  

Which is idiotic on two fronts - one, they subsidized the men’s league. It would not exist absent this subsidy. Two, they claim (as you have) that a women’s league was in the plans…for a league that the CSA is independent of. 

This is a complex cocktail of incompetence, hypocrisy, sanctimony and good old fashioned misogyny. 

And we’re all left to watch.