Niko Sigur

nolando

6 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Too lazy to check, but wasn't the recently published preliminary roster for the nations league? Gold Cup players have not been announced yet.

6 hours ago, sose said:

the preliminary roster was for  Nations Leauge, gold cup roster not announced yet.

You’re both right - I stand corrected. 

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

"I'm a Croat from Canada, I love everything Croatian, and my idol is Luka Modrić . Not only as a player, but as a person, leader, leader... He has great technical and leadership capabilities. Modrić is Croatian, I am Croatian and that's normal,'' said Sigur.

Why's it always in the most condescending way possible lol

16 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I assume this guy is full of crap right

Yeah, don't know what this guy's smoking, he's full of shit. Borna Sosa wasn't eligible to play for Germany because he was over 21 when he last repped Croatia in an official match. Even if he was under 21, 3 years hadn't passed since that last match. Sigur could still represent Canada after the U21 Euros.

Edited by phresh

This one stings a little more because the memory of watching Canada vs Croatia in Qatar is still fresh. In addition I was sitting beside the most annoying (and racist) Croatian fans in the stadium who started jarring me the minute Canada took a 1-0 lead

20 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Flores, Mitrovic, Farsi (likely), Sigur, Sali, Yankov - all born and raised here. 

Soccer culture is fickle, but this is a (another) betrayal. Good bye, Sigur. Shift to Word Soccer.

How do we make Canadian international soccer an exciting goal for players? Yes, the CSA has humped the puppy regarding not holding U camps and matches. What about the soccer culture though? How do we make young players yearn and dream of playing for Canada?

Also, can the CSA find specific sponsors for specific events? For example, could the CSA sign up Canadian Tire or Bombardier or ??  to sponsor a U-20 camp and a couple of friendlies?

3 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Soccer culture is fickle, but this is a (another) betrayal. Good bye, Sigur. Shift to Word Soccer.

How do we make Canadian international soccer an exciting goal for players? Yes, the CSA has humped the puppy regarding not holding U camps and matches. What about the soccer culture though? How do we make young players yearn and dream of playing for Canada?

Also, can the CSA find specific sponsors for specific events? For example, could the CSA sign up Canadian Tire or Bombardier or ??  to sponsor a U-20 camp and a couple of friendlies?

I think at the end of the day this generation’s biggest purpose is to be to influence the next one up. Sigur says he worships Modric, fine, but the kids who are 10 years old right now might worship Davies or David or so on. Apparently Koleosho’s favourite player is Davies and that’s a reason he came to our camps. More of that, and just becoming a better team is probably the only way to avoid this in the future. 

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Despite losing Sigur and Farsi potentially, at RB we still have Kobe Franklin emerging and Laryea and Johnston are still gonna be around for a while.

There's always someone new around the corner.

How can we send encouragement to Farsi? Also, is he more of a RWB?

27 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Does anybody have an opinion on this in the context of CSB? Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

How can we send encouragement to Farsi? Also, is he more of a RWB?

Spam his social media posts with Canadian flag emojis. Balogun and Musah have both said they were overwhelmed with the support they received from fans online and that it played in a role in their decisions to switch

29 minutes ago, phresh said:

Spam his social media posts with Canadian flag emojis. Balogun and Musah have both said they were overwhelmed with the support they received from fans online and that it played in a role in their decisions to switch

I know what you mean but in a way I would find that kinda sad because Farsi was born and raised in Canada. We shouldn’t have to really show love and support to lure someone to play where they’re from 

Edited by Atlantic

33 minutes ago, phresh said:

I think for at least Balogun it came down to the fact that the marketing potential of a US star far outweighs the marketing potential of an England bit player. It’s obviously different for Farsi considering the type of player he is and the fact that Canada isn’t the US, but honestly, get him some sponsorships in Canada and that might help. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Despite losing Sigur and Farsi potentially, at RB we still have Kobe Franklin emerging and Laryea and Johnston are still gonna be around for a while.

There's always someone new around the corner.

Agreed. RB is not an area of concern. 

Let's calm down everyone.

1) What else is he going to say? "I feel more Canadian than Croatian but I'm just here for the experience"? C'mon! He is saying to the media and the Croatian fans exactly what they want to hear.

2) Others have gone the European U21 route before. Think Eustáquio.

Calm Down Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

33 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Let's calm down everyone.

1) What else is he going to say? "I feel more Canadian than Croatian but I'm just here for the experience"? C'mon! He saying to the media and the Croatian fans exactly what they want to hear.

2) Others have gone the European U21 route before. Think Eustáquio.

Calm Down Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Fair comment.

15 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Not surprised. All the Croatians I know in the GTA were full on going for Croatia when we played them in the world cup. They think they never left the home country. Pretty disappointing.  

More so when many came here as refugees - an OK thing to be sure, but the apparent non- support of Canadian football is disappointing.