Niko Sigur

nolando

1 minute ago, ahmedou said:

First Canada Soccer game! First yellow card! Welcome to Concacaf!

In more ways than one it was "welcome to CONCACAF".  Hopefully he learned from his brief cameo that here, touching someone with your arm extended is a sure yellow.  (And next time, hopefully he can use it to his advantage.)

9 hours ago, GasPed said:

In more ways than one it was "welcome to CONCACAF".  Hopefully he learned from his brief cameo that here, touching someone with your arm extended is a sure yellow.  (And next time, hopefully he can use it to his advantage.)

He totally looked like he was new to CONCACAF, against a softie lightweight like Laínez who can be handled by any half-assed defender.

I personally don't like our guys with all this gesticulating and acting hard-done-by from CONCACAF reffing. We're the exception in the region and the sooner you learn to play tough the better. 

Anyways, his yellow was a yellow and well taken.

46 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I thought he looked his age. A bit weak physically and poor in the air. 

I liked how I saw his body movements and technique on the ball in the 3 touches he has.  It makes me think he has skill to be within the 13-16 of trusted players…. Maybe just optimism. 

2/2 in aerial duels last night.

I really liked what I saw. He’s feisty- didn’t shy away from contact- it’s what we needed given the absolute mess of a game it was. I was surprised at his speed too- he had a nice run down the right side to close a guy down. I think he’s a guy who can really become a good player. Wish we got to see a bit more of him this window, but hopefully he gets himself an October call and he gets another shot.

Thought of Sigur choosing us, as I was just seeing a Spain u-21 match from yesterday, there's a 19-year-old, Dean Huijsen, who was born in Netherlands, father was a Dutch footie pro, but grew up most of his youth in Malaga area, and played every age category for Netherlands national team youth. Until this summer, decided he really felt more comfortable as a Spaniard, ignored his parents, secured his citizenship and is playing u-21 for Spain now.

One of those moves where despite the father's allegiances and whatever, he felt he was a better fit for Spain. Lanky very tall CB, just signed with Bournemouth from Juventus.

16 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Hope we see him as a DM in his next game, which he apparently prefers. With AJ and Laryea at RB its not a position of weakness. 

True but nice having the depth, especially considering how both AJ & Laryea have missed a decent amount of time with injuries in the past couple of years.

6 minutes ago, Corazon said:

True but nice having the depth, especially considering how both AJ & Laryea have missed a decent amount of time with injuries in the past couple of years.

Agreed, thought that was good of Marsch. He did not just sub him in to give him minutes, they'd made a change down that side and he trusted Niko could play his fullback role to help hold. It was a sub in function of the result, not symbolic. And it basically worked, though we were giving up a few too many late corners those minutes.

Another day we'll get to see him in the middle and we'll learn more about his qualities.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

2/2 in aerial duels last night.

I really liked what I saw. He’s feisty- didn’t shy away from contact- it’s what we needed given the absolute mess of a game it was. I was surprised at his speed too- he had a nice run down the right side to close a guy down. I think he’s a guy who can really become a good player. Wish we got to see a bit more of him this window, but hopefully he gets himself an October call and he gets another shot.

I agree with your assessment. 

Perhaps I saw it differently but he didn’t seem to track aerially balls with the composure of other guys. Even if he was 2/2, it felt challenging for him. 

His first camp.

I think he did ok. I liked his attitude. He's not here to mess around. He'll learn fast about Concacaf. And he'll become a important piece for us. His touches with the ball showed me that he's a baller.

Coming back from an injury. Playing a total of 30 minutes with Hajduk Split on August 2024 during Season 24/25. His last game during Season 23/24 with Hadjuk Split was on May 2024. 

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Came on at ‘67 vs Zagreb. Not sure where he’s playing as he was subbed on for a midfielder and their starting RB still in.

Sigur wants to play midfield, gets developed as a RB for club, gets earmarked as a RB for Croatia, switches to Canada and still wants to play midfield, Canada coach earmarks him for midfield, earns his Canada debut at RB, goes back to his club and plays midfield lol

Niko Sigur: "The feeling is amazing! I haven’t played much in recent months and to get minutes in a game like this, to debut for Canada against Mexico in such an atmosphere, is truly incredible!''

''It’s a motivation to keep working harder and growing with this team. The game was intense and I found myself in a few duels that I felt didn’t need to be called as fouls. It’s tough coming off the bench in such a high-paced match, but I felt really good!"

"The atmosphere in the locker room was great! We wanted to win, but drawing against Mexico, practically on their home turf and the win against the US are fantastic results.''

It’s been a while since I played in Canada... I've many friends in Toronto and I hope to play in that game and show what I can do!"