Niko Sigur

nolando

Average age of that Croatia squad over these past few matches was anywhere from 28 to 30, when they played Spain. For reference, our Copa squad average age was about 25 years old, give or take depending on who we started. 

I don’t know much about their youth players, but they’re going to hit a wall pretty soon. Whatever happened to Germany is gonna hit them harder, I think. 

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Average age of that Croatia squad over these past few matches was anywhere from 28 to 30, when they played Spain. For reference, our Copa squad average age was about 25 years old, give or take depending on who we started. 

I don’t know much about their youth players, but they’re going to hit a wall pretty soon. Whatever happened to Germany is gonna hit them harder, I think. 

Germany will be fine due to immigration. Look at someone like Adeyemi who couldn’t even make the Euro Squad. Croatia are screwed though.

53 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Most Croatia fans have laid this at the feet of Dalic, who seems to be very poor at integrating new players into the senior NT.

They say right now this is just a symptom of bigger issues with Croatia and their generational shift.

I am not a Croatia expert but I did see the fans complaining about Dalic saying the issue stems from him. How much of it though is a general discontent about the age of the squad? Sure, maybe Dalic is slower to trust younger players in general, I couldn't tell you, but what's true is that Dalic picked him as part of the Euro squad standbys, so how can you really blame Dalic for not integrating him into the senior team? Something doesn't add up.

I suspect the Croatian fans are just as fickle as everyone else. He takes them to a semi final of the World Cup in 2022 and everything is peaches and cream.

Fast forward a year and a half and the same squad crashed out of the Euro group stage, in a group that had Spain and Italy in it. I mean, there was no problem with this veteran group 18 months ago when they were winning, but now there is? And it's all because Dalic didn't bring in younger players sooner?

Anyway, glad we have Sigur.

1 hour ago, anthony7 said:

Germany will be fine due to immigration. Look at someone like Adeyemi who couldn’t even make the Euro Squad. Croatia are screwed though.

Germany are on the up, but they were a powerhouse who had a golden generation get older. Musiala, Wirz et al., will get them back to where they should be, but the 2018-2022 era was pretty tough for them. Croatia is going to sink like a stone between the ‘26 and ‘30 world cups. 

The killer for Croatia was losing that Nations League to Spain, June 2023 on penalties. It would have compensated for everything to win a trophy, the generation could have been retired with dignity. But losing it meant they've just dragged all those senior players forward to try to make that generation fulfill its destiny. 

A bit similar to Belgium not winning anything with their elite group. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The killer for Croatia was losing that Nations League to Spain, June 2823 on penalties. It would have compensated for everything to win a trophy, the generation could have been retired with dignity. But losing it meant they've just dragged all those senior players forward to try to make that generation fulfill its destiny. 

A bit similar to Belgium not winning anything with their elite group. 

That's quite a crystal ball you got! Where can I get one?😁

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Today I learned his last name is pronounced like rocker Bob Seger.

At least that's how the Northern Futbol guys said it in their newest podcast

I've always assumed this is how you pronounce it. Now I'm curious how you thought it was pronounced. SIG-er? 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Curious how you pronounced it if not that way?

I wonder where his surname comes from. I know Croatia has more surname diversity than other Balkan countries, but his name sounds Scandinavian or French. 

5 hours ago, narduch said:

His first name is Niko. And my first reflex is to think his last name is Bellic!

Niko Bellic!

Yeah I'm a GTA 4 fan...

Niko Bellic GTA IV

On 8/22/2024 at 9:26 AM, Bigandy said:

What an odd post. 

The rough ride comment leads me to believe you have some weird bias against him... all pro's have a rough road relatively speaking. 

2% is also such an odd arbitrary number that no one can quantify. On a 23-26 man roster each player is worth 4% spread evenly. Now we assume that starters are worth more so lets pick a random 6%. Now we factor in the upgrade factor when you compare to the alternative. At this point we technically do not have a starting calibre DM. So our team went from 0% to 12% in that spot if Sigur starts.  I havent considered player longevity or how he will improve guys like staq and kone who don't have to hold the midfield together alone. 

All very arbitrary numbers that I pick out of thin air but at least theres some sort of formula for my thoughts. To argue that a player who could start for us for the next 10 years is a max 2% increase seems wild. Imagine we lose kone and staq to injuries at the WC. Do we really want a midfield of choiniere and an even older oso playing a 2 man midfield? Sigur gives us the potential to maintain our midfield quality and balance regardless of who else we lose. 

what I meant, and still mean, is that this player means practically very little, as he is now, to the improvement of the Canadian squad.  or to the future.

The rough ride comment at the end was a complete nothing, a throwaway...has zero to do with the player.  No bias.  Maybe I do have a bias, due to his relative invisibility...I gave him a positive score though, after all.

Seems you feel he has starter capability, and impact.  Glad to hear you think he's a 12% upgrade though...mimicking the metric I introduced, (which you started off saying was something I introduced that was unquantifiable? lol, I think you understand it perfectly by your post)  but did not feel the need to defend so thoroughly. A 12% upgrade!  Seems like a lot...somehow from 0 with nobody to 6 with Niko, meaning a 2x6% =12% boost for the team! 

Wow...which starter did we bench to get this upgrade, as Piette does not start for this team, so replacing him is a wash...so?  Richie?  Whom comes out for Niko?   Did they have a rating at all above 0%? Or is this all based on assuming Niko starts for the rest of his CANMNT career, and simply crushes it?  Something I do not assume in the least...he has a chance to make a difference, no more, no less.

And then...you want to add in simultaneous injuries to kone and staq to boost the rating?  I guess that's a pretty different measurement.  Like insurance!  For a player who has no experience....forgive me if I don't go all in.

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

I was hoping the pronunciation of his name was similar to Chigurh.

Chigurh.jpg.40002e79112fb28fa1be77f236cf78d5.jpg

I was always pronouncing it in my head "si" like the start of "sick" and then emphasis on gur. It's been forever since I've seen New Country For Old Men, and I wouldn't have been able to come up with that character's name, but seeing it typed, I think I was totally rhyming Sigur with Chigurh. I wonder if that's where my brain got the idea somehow, because I don't have any other explanation.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was always pronouncing it in my head "si" like the start of "sick" and then emphasis on gur. It's been forever since I've seen New Country For Old Men, and I wouldn't have been able to come up with that character's name, but seeing it typed, I think I was totally rhyming Sigur with Chigurh. I wonder if that's where my brain got the idea somehow, because I don't have any other explanation.

For me, Anton Chigurh is one of those unforgettable character names. It’s right up there with Travis Bickle.

3 hours ago, eramosat said:

what I meant, and still mean, is that this player means practically very little, as he is now, to the improvement of the Canadian squad.  or to the future.

The rough ride comment at the end was a complete nothing, a throwaway...has zero to do with the player.  No bias.  Maybe I do have a bias, due to his relative invisibility...I gave him a positive score though, after all.

Seems you feel he has starter capability, and impact.  Glad to hear you think he's a 12% upgrade though...mimicking the metric I introduced, (which you started off saying was something I introduced that was unquantifiable? lol, I think you understand it perfectly by your post)  but did not feel the need to defend so thoroughly. A 12% upgrade!  Seems like a lot...somehow from 0 with nobody to 6 with Niko, meaning a 2x6% =12% boost for the team! 

Wow...which starter did we bench to get this upgrade, as Piette does not start for this team, so replacing him is a wash...so?  Richie?  Whom comes out for Niko?   Did they have a rating at all above 0%? Or is this all based on assuming Niko starts for the rest of his CANMNT career, and simply crushes it?  Something I do not assume in the least...he has a chance to make a difference, no more, no less.

And then...you want to add in simultaneous injuries to kone and staq to boost the rating?  I guess that's a pretty different measurement.  Like insurance!  For a player who has no experience....forgive me if I don't go all in.

I think my comments are a bit misunderstood and I prefaced them by saying my quantification is absolute nonsense which i still believe. some other misunderstood assumptions:1. my nonsense numbers didn’t add numerical value for injuries to staq and kone. Just a side consideration if that were to happen. 2. Sigur had extremely high minutes last year. That’s not “no experience”. 3. The nonsense numbers is based on some arbitrary value for adding a cdm to our line up. All starters are worth 6% and the value of adding tactical flexibility we didn’t have (0%) gives another random plus 6%.  All numbers picked out of random thin air with no validity. But how do u quantify any of this?  My point is a 2% increase suggests he would improve the squad by almost the least out of 25 guys… hard to imagine he offers less than Herbert 3rd string gk, etc if he’s a starter?  

I think most of us agree that Larin and David aren’t clicking and a 3 man midfield would help us a lot. Therefore a starting quality cm would provide massive gains to our ability to play different formations and opportunity to get the best out of some of our key guys (staq and Kone as cm and not can and freed up to get forward, help in the midfield. David as a lone striker higher up the pitch with more creative support behind him. Etc).  

if you agree that a top end cdm would do the above, then we agree it’s a significant improvement to the squad. More than 2%. 

If we also all agree that we have a big drop in quality after Kone and Staq. Another top end cdm would be massive if either were to drop out.  

if you agree with the above then the real question we differ on is “is sigur at the quality of a top cdm”. 

my answer is yes with an angle that he’s raw and has a lot of room to grow.  This is based on the judgement of marsch, hajduk, and the Croatia prelim squad.  Certainly Croatia’s coaching staff knows better than either of us. If ur near Croatia’s squad then your certainly near a starting spot for cmnt.  

im all for agreeing to disagree about his current level but I don’t get why you cap a 20year olds contribution value at such a low level so defiantly and early. He hasn’t played a minute for us yet.  Give him a chance before u say he’s going to add almost no value. 

11 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Curious how you pronounced it if not that way?

I wonder where his surname comes from. I know Croatia has more surname diversity than other Balkan countries, but his name sounds Scandinavian or French. 

https://actacroatica.com/en/surname/Sigur/

Historically it comes from Petrinja in Croatia.

Croatian pronounciation of Sigur...

Edited by Buchta

9 hours ago, Kent said:

We were fine with you not explaining that at all