Niko Sigur

nolando

14 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I have not watched thius guy play but from what some people are saying he is very versatile , can play RB and CDM . is he a Joshua Kimmich type , could he be a very poor mans version of a Andrea Pirlo  type

How about a Miralem Pjanić type? Imagine a deep-lying guy like that pushing the play forward for us? All we would need after that is a Marek Hamsik type and the World Cup is ours in 2026. 

Edited by Macksam

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Twitter, The Everything App, has decided to show some of the rather colourful things diaspora Croats in Canada are saying about Niko. Some forms of racism I didn’t even know were possible. 

Pretty sure I have the instigator for this blocked

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Twitter, The Everything App, has decided to show some of the rather colourful things diaspora Croats in Canada are saying about Niko. Some forms of racism I didn’t even know were possible. 

Why would they be saying that? At the very least, they have a guy they can get behind now when supporting the CMNT. 

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Alistair at RB deepens that side - you essential have 2 starting-quality RBs with him and Riche, and I have always felt that ZBG could step in and do the job.  The latter is also only 25 so still has lots of time left.  

LB is an issue for sure - especially given the perennial temptation to play Davies at LW.  Probably our greatest position of need IMO.  

Great post and its a matter of practical vs written depth chart and then also consider what the minimum floor is. 

In reality we have 4 starting quality fullbacks with an argument that LDF, Ali, and sigur (miller/millar) can fill holes as needed. Laryea can also play both sides. Therefore on any given roster we have 7ish players who can fill 2 spots. 

Our tier 2 fb include ZBG and edwards. 

Our tier 2-3ish is zator, abzi, hiebert, raposo, JMR?

So you're for sure right that we are weaker at LB than RB. If I look at our current depth and our pipeline, I think LB is our weakest spot followed by rightback. We probably have 4 years to fill up the FB pipeline before it becomes an area of concern. 

5 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Would Sigur have been on par with Aidan Morris talent wise or is it too early to tell?

I don't know if any of us are experts on him, but I am going to say yes and no.

Yes in that like Aiden Morris, Sigur should be that 3rd midfielder of real starting quality we've been looking for. 

No in that I believe Sigur is better than Morris talent wise, not on par. When I think of Sigur, I think of a player with Eustaquio-level potential.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I am no more of an expert on Sigur than anyone else around here, but based on what I have seen of Morris, and what American fans think of Morris, and the fact Sigur made the Croatian preliminary squad for the Euros, and considering how highly he's thought of at hajduk split, my expectation is that we're better off with Sigur than Morris, and that's not even considering the positional flexibility he can offer us. Morris would have been a midfilder and that's it. Sigur will provide RB cover, but should play in our midfield, probably battling Choiniere for minutes, who I was very impressed with at Copa America. 

5 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Would Sigur have been on par with Aidan Morris talent wise or is it too early to tell?

I would rank him above Morris. Morris is also two years older. I think of Morris as more of midfielder and Sigur as a CDM. Morris did get a nice transfer this year to Middlesbrough

The games I saw of Sigur, he played like Piette but with much more speed and wonderful ball distribution.  Always in the right spots defensively.  He should allow Eustáquio and Kone more chances to roam freely. I didn't see any games of him as a RB

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Alistair at RB deepens that side - you essential have 2 starting-quality RBs with him and Riche, and I have always felt that ZBG could step in and do the job.  The latter is also only 25 so still has lots of time left.  

LB is an issue for sure - especially given the perennial temptation to play Davies at LW.  Probably our greatest position of need IMO.  

Maybe Miller or Kennedy?  

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I also just wanted to say that he is putting BC back on the the map.  Although, I don't see Waterman remaining a mainstay with the program in the long run.  The addition of Sigur, now puts BC at 2 members of our extended player pool and now ahead of both Nova Scotia & Manitoba once again!

Not to be blunt, but that in itself is a travesty for your province. Considering the weather you have throughout the year in your more populated areas, you'll need to step up your game.  

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Not to be blunt, but that in itself is a travesty for your province. Considering the weather you have throughout the year in your more populated areas, you'll need to step up your game.  

BC doesn’t have the street ballers that the GTA and Montreal have. We need dudes who went to practice on a raggedy old city bus, not mom’s 2026 Dodge Caravan!!

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

BC doesn’t have the street ballers that the GTA and Montreal have. We need dudes who went to practice on a raggedy old city bus, not mom’s 2026 Dodge Caravan!!

Happy Atlanta Hawks GIF by NBA

I know you were being slightly facetious but knowing the Brampton scene, I can guarantee you guys like Liam Millar, JMR, Tajon, Oso and Larin probably came on said Minivan or SUV and not some raggedy old city bus, a result of their working to middle class up bringing.  

I assume Surrey in BC should be catching up to us soon and bearing fruit within a few years if not now. 

42 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I also just wanted to say that he is putting BC back on the the map.  Although, I don't see Waterman remaining a mainstay with the program in the long run.  The addition of Sigur, now puts BC at 2 members of our extended player pool and now ahead of both Nova Scotia & Manitoba once again!

Better watch out, Ciccarelli is coming, Manitoba might hit 2.   😉

10 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Happy Atlanta Hawks GIF by NBA

I know you were being slightly facetious but knowing the Brampton scene, I can guarantee you guys like Liam Millar, JMR, Tajon, Oso and Larin probably came on said Minivan or SUV and not some raggedy old city bus, a result of their working to middle class up bringing.  

I assume Surrey in BC should be catching up to us soon and bearing fruit within a few years if not now. 

I kid- outside of our Montreal guys, I don’t know much about how our guys grew up, and most soccer players/athletes in Canada do need some sort of middle class or above upbringing to get onto competitive youth teams.

I think it’s a matter of time. The WCQ 22 window was all GTA. Copa into the 2026 WC feels like a Montreal coming out party, so maybe during our 2030 qualifying cycle, we’ll get a bit more west coast rep. VFC have some great young players, if one or two end up being something, we’ll get our BC numbers where they ought to be.