Niko Sigur

nolando

On 8/16/2024 at 2:35 PM, narduch said:

If he showed up out of shape that should ring alarm bells. Not sure where you got that info.

I still think he is being over rated here. 

Also Kobe Franklin really shouldn't be in the conversation either.

JMR might be another guy that is ahead of him.

Plenty of players show up "out of shape" at the professional level. It's not ideal but not the end of the world, especially if its due to an injury. 

So if we take off franklin and sigur, our RB depth is 

1. AJ 

2. Laryea

3. ZBG whos more of a wingback

4. JMR whos a wingback at best

5. zator? who's more of a CB. Arguably at his ceiling which is not CMNT calibre. 

Then no one else. 

I'm not sure why we would prefer an MLS youngster who rarely plays wingback over Sigur. What makes you think he's not good enough when he was a starter for Hajduk, called up to croatia's prelim squad and heavily coveted by marsch and herdman. Surely those are enough credentials for him to be in the CMNT player pool discussion? 

28 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Plenty of players show up "out of shape" at the professional level. It's not ideal but not the end of the world, especially if its due to an injury. 

So if we take off franklin and sigur, our RB depth is 

1. AJ 

2. Laryea

3. ZBG whos more of a wingback

4. JMR whos a wingback at best

5. zator? who's more of a CB. Arguably at his ceiling which is not CMNT calibre. 

Then no one else. 

I'm not sure why we would prefer an MLS youngster who rarely plays wingback over Sigur. What makes you think he's not good enough when he was a starter for Hajduk, called up to croatia's prelim squad and heavily coveted by marsch and herdman. Surely those are enough credentials for him to be in the CMNT player pool discussion? 

How many RBs do you think a manager should call in for a 23 man squad?

Besides if Sigur does switch to us I really hope he can be developed as a CM instead 

Edited by narduch

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Was never making that squad regardless 

Fair enough, but he’s not even on the stand by / call up list (cropped it out cause I couldn’t get it all in on the phone screen) when he was for Euros. Could be down to fitness though, so I get tempering expectations. 

Just seems like a ‘where there’s smoke’ situation 

25 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Fair enough, but he’s not even on the stand by / call up list (cropped it out cause I couldn’t get it all in on the phone screen) when he was for Euros. Could be down to fitness though, so I get tempering expectations. 

Just seems like a ‘where there’s smoke’ situation 

He hasn't been playing - he wouldn’t be making the standby list for one of the best national teams. 

If he has turned it’s perfect timing for him because he probably wouldn’t get called for us either but for the need cap tie.

31 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He hasn't been playing - he wouldn’t be making the standby list for one of the best national teams. 

If he has turned it’s perfect timing for him because he probably wouldn’t get called for us either but for the need cap tie.

Don’t think the friendly cap ties him and let’s not shit on the quality of the Croatian league. They have some good players there, this kid is good enough to play for us.

Just now, Dominic94 said:

Don’t think the friendly cap ties him and let’s not shit on the quality of the Croatian league. They have some good players there, this kid is good enough to play for us.

Never shit on the quality. He just hasn’t been playing this season. But he’s an attractive call because he’s not yet cap tied. Once he switches he will be. 

10 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Don’t think the friendly cap ties him

Pretty sure a friendly would cap-tie him permanently because a one-time switch would need to be filed. Once any appearance is made after the switch then the player is permanently cap-tied. Quite sure those are the rules, but the specifics of these rules always confuse me so maybe not

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Hadjuk Split have Croatian legends, Perisic & now Rakitic, along with several other Croatian internationals such as Livaja & Kalinic.

I was reading some comments from Split fans after their elimination in Europe, that they should consider selling Sigur and several others to help get the club out of debt. 

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Hadjuk Split have Croatian legends, Perisic & now Rakitic, along with several other Croatian internationals such as Livaja & Kalinic.

I was reading some comments from Split fans after their elimination in Europe, that they should consider selling Sigur and several others to help get the club out of debt. 

Perisic is a free agent again I think? Or in his way to being one again.

17 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I believe you are correct.  The word is that he wanted out and told Gattuso a few weeks ago.

Hopeful thinking but maybe that corresponds to Marsch getting in his ear about joining Canada. Leaving the Croatian league and leaving Croatia may bode well for us.

I still remember when Yankov switched to Bulgaria, while living and playing in Bulgaria, and when defending his choice  made some sort of comment like "understand that I live and play over here".

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hopeful thinking but maybe that corresponds to Marsch getting in his ear about joining Canada. Leaving the Croatian league and leaving Croatia may bode well for us.

I still remember when Yankov switched to Bulgaria, while living and playing in Bulgaria, and when defending his choice  made some sort of comment like "understand that I live and play over here".

I thought Yankov's comment was along the lines of "I am eligible to play for Canada and Bulgaria.  The first one to ask me, I will play for."  Paraphrasing, but I guess he could have made both comments!

17 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I thought Yankov's comment was along the lines of "I am eligible to play for Canada and Bulgaria.  The first one to ask me, I will play for."  Paraphrasing, but I guess he could have made both comments!

Yes he made those comments, but once he was decided I believe he gave further comment defending his choice saying something like "...look...I am here...I live in this country and play for the top club...and they have called on me".

They called him in the same window we did, but it was an emergency call from Bulgaria because they had an injury. I believe at that point he stopped the process of switching for us and showed up for them instead.

Anyone remember this or just me?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes he made those comments, but once he was decided I believe he gave further comment defending his choice saying something like "...look...I am here...I live in this country and play for the top club...and they have called on me".

They called him in the same window we did, but it was an emergency call from Bulgaria because they had an injury. I believe at that point he stopped the process of switching for us and showed up for them instead.

Anyone remember this or just me?

As far as I recall Yankov never had a call, I think he was texted about his interest in attending a youth camp at some point. 

19 minutes ago, jordan said:

As far as I recall Yankov never had a call, I think he was texted about his interest in attending a youth camp at some point. 

I just went back through the thread and you are right. It wasn't that he was called, but it was communicated to us by Wheeler that Yankov (and Corbeanu) were going to play for Canada, but then the injury happened to the Bulgarian player and Yankov was called in to replace (Oct 2020). He stuck with his word and said he would accept the first call from either nation, which he did.

And while Bulgaria were playing in that window, Canada were sitting on their thumbs.

On 8/18/2024 at 1:22 PM, jordan said:

Not in the squad today, the team is down in the first half to Varazdin

Not sure if the injury stuff was posted, seems like it was a back tweak:

Niko Sigur dropped out at the last moment before the match with Ružomberok; here is the reason

Niko Sigur was in the plans of coach Gennar Gattus for tonight's match with Ružomberok, but before the meeting in Poljud, he was suddenly dropped from the team

Everyone was surprised when the name of Nike Sigur was not found in Hajduk's score sheet for tonight's match with Ružomberok.

Coach Gennaro Gattuso played a team in which Sigur was safe at right back, but Fahd Moufi ran instead of him at Poljud tonight.

Now it has been revealed that the unfortunate Niko Sigur dropped out at the last moment due to an injury to his back, he felt pain in the last training session and was simply not ready to perform.

Let us remind you that Sigur has just recovered from a wrist injury, and now a new one has occurred. It is not yet known how long Niko Sigur will - again - miss the field.

(https://www.tportal.hr/sport/clanak/niko-sigur-otpao-u-zadnji-tren-uoci-utakmice-s-ruzomberokom-evo-koji-je-razlog-foto-20240815)