Niko Sigur

nolando

1 hour ago, narduch said:

We weren't calling Mitrovic when he was starting in Serbia league. Although that may have been for other reasons too.

Doubt Herdman considers this league high enough 

Yeah but that was with Nis who is drastically worse than the two big Belgrade clubs- I think Split is a better team. Don’t think we should call him in after two starts, but definitely hope we’ve reached out to the kid and that our scouts are keeping their eye on him. Not worried about Croatia swooping in or anything, but if he finishes the season  as a regular starter and figures into their plans next year, he might be someone to look at for 2024.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We absolutely should be calling players playing in 1st div Croatia. It's the strongest league in Eastern Europe and had a history of developing talented players. 

Careful with this one...

But yeah. I think this would skyrocket him close to the top of our prospect pool if he's regularly starting in Croatia. Maybe he's our next Kone.

17 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We absolutely should be calling players playing in 1st div Croatia. It's the strongest league in Eastern Europe and had a history of developing talented players. 

Think the key here is that a club as big as Hajduk Split are involved more than the league he is playing in.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:50 AM, InglewoodJack said:

What's the quality in Croatia, outside of Dynamo Zagreb like? I've driven in front of the Hadjuk Split stadium before, not a small park at all. I actually got stuck in the worst traffic jam of my life coming back from a day trip in Bosnia on the night of (I think?) Split's home opener. Like 5KM of standstill bumper to bumper traffic, every other car with a Hadjuk Split flag or sticker.

Still, a 19 (20?) year old professional in Europe is someone we need to pay attention to. The fact he went from U Sports to first tier Croatia is a crazy move. Also an indictment of Canadian soccer opportunities- he played for VWC as a kid, but had to go half way across the world to turn pro. I'm sure he was not the same player then as he is now, and VWC had their reasons for not keeping him onboard, but just a funny outcome.

Ante Jazic played at Dalhousie University and was the CIAU (CIS) rookie of the year. After his rookie season, he signed in Croatia and 2 years later moved to Hadjuk Split. Ironic that another Canadian younger is taking the same route 25+ years later. 

Jazic had pretty much 0 pro opportunities in Canada at the time. At least there are more options for young players now.

Edited by Soccerpro2

On 4/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, InglewoodJack said:

The fact he went from U Sports to first tier Croatia is a crazy move. Also an indictment of Canadian soccer opportunities- he played for VWC as a kid, but had to go half way across the world to turn pro. I'm sure he was not the same player then as he is now, and VWC had their reasons for not keeping him onboard, but just a funny outcome.

Just another example and more proof that the coaching and developement at all levels, including the academies is lacking and just not on par with what we see in EU.

59 minutes ago, costarg said:

Just another example and more proof that the coaching and developement at all levels, including the academies is lacking and just not on par with what we see in EU.

How is it proof of that if a player developed here can step into a first team in Europe? This means he beat out players developed/trained in Europe. 

What you mean to say is that talent identification missed this one. It happens in every country.