Niko Sigur

nolando

17 hours ago, blueseeka said:

This one is the most obvious. He is gone

On 3/4/2024 at 6:55 AM, Buchta said:

He has been called up to the Croatian 'stand by list' for matches later this month in UAE vs Tunisia and Egypt/New Zealand.

https://hns.team/vijesti/27546/dalic-objavio-popis-igraca-za-w-cup-u-abu-dhabiju/

He will be fully captied probably quickly. Whether or not, he becomes a big part of the Croatian MNT is up for debate but he isn't waiting for Canada. Time to move on unless he changes his mind. He will be 21 in September and it then its 99% over

Edited by blueseeka

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Anyone seen Sigur play recently? Is he good enough for our squad of 23?

He easily makes our 23 with laryea injured. His versatility  at RB and CM is key. Our two weakest positions for depth at the copa. 

He arguably walks into our starting line up as our 3rd CM. Although ali, oso and choiniere all make a case for being that 3rd midfielder. 

I still don't think he plays for us but I hope we are seriously pushing for this guy. He's eligible for a switch ahead of Copa America, right? I like what @Bigandy is saying about the RB and CM possibilities. I haven't seen him play, but I imagine he could walk into our midfield as that 3rd guy ahead of Choniere and Ahmed.

Yes, Croatian league isn't the best, but he's a starter on a team with a TM value of 56.5M euros and he's listed as a DM - and he's 20 years old. In MLS terms they'd be the 3rd most valuable team, just ahead of the Sounders and only behind Atlanta and Inter Miami

I think we'd be crazy not to offer this guy a spot on the team and a starting role at that. 

Some additional considerations. 

look at mitrovic. He moved up the serbian ladder and we were not sure if he was CMNT material. Hes now in serie A. Red star is worth a bit more but very comparable teams in comparable leagues and very comparable ages.

Sigurs accomplishments at 20 is much higher than many CMNT players. 

Laryea wasnt a pro at 20.
Johnston wasnt a pro at 20.
loturi was playing for a bad team in scotland and has gotten A team call ups by herdman. 

Forgive me if this was previously posted. I will share it here for discussion sake:

https://www.croatiaweek.com/dual-citizenship-dilemma-talented-niko-sigur-chooses-croatia/

The statement makes it very clear he wants to play for Croatia, both now and in the future, but it seems like Canada was in consideration. I don't see him abandoning Croatia right now, but yet the statement from him doesn't seem to necessarily slam the door shut on Canada either, more like he's simply excited about Croatia, and why not? They are a top soccer nation in every respect, they seem to really value him, and he was on the list for the Euros.

For me this is a massive loss for Canada, very unfortunate. I was skimming his wiki page and see he was on Vaughn Azzurri "C" team at some point, back in his York days. Seems like he was slept on at every level in Canada, or maybe his development exploded once he got to Europe, maybe it's both? 

Would be amazing having him in our midfield at Copa America, but isn't happening. I almost feel like Koleosho is more realistic, sadly. 

So IF he is good enough to make our 23, we should be going after him big time. We have Copa in 3 months and a WC to offer. You just know that Herdman would have done the same. I get that some are pissed, including myself, that he seems to be on the Croatia bandwagon, but if senior team mins are on offer for 2  massive tournaments it would be crazy for any player not to seriously consider it as he's only playing youth soccer for Croatia. It would also break the narrative that Cdn youth players with Croatian heritage  don't want to play for Canada

He’s 20, trust me the right manager can sway him, also if Kevin blue is for real, and he looks to be, our friendly scheduling gives him competition similar to what Croatia can offer and a Copa South America. So yeah let’s not right ourselves off, it’s a career defining tourney and it can open doors. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

So IF he is good enough to make our 23, we should be going after him big time. We have Copa in 3 months and a WC to offer. You just know that Herdman would have done the same. I get that some are pissed, including myself, that he seems to be on the Croatia bandwagon, but if senior team mins are on offer for 2  massive tournaments it would be crazy for any player not to seriously consider it as he's only playing youth soccer for Croatia. It would also break the narrative that Cdn youth players with Croatian heritage  don't want to play for Canada

Fully agree and would just add that I doubt it's as simple as Croatia U21 vs Canada senior team, because he's on track to play for the Croatian senior team.

So possibly his thought process is Canada senior team now versus Croatian senior team later. 

Would Eustaquio have committed to Canada if he were on the Portuguese senior team list during his U21 days? 

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

He probably isn't.

People in this thread pumping his tires though.

I find that hard to believe. Again, I haven't seen him play, but all signs point to him being good enough to play for Canada right now and possibly start if we are missing Johnston and Laryea. We'd be fortunate to plug that hole with a young U21 Croatian player starting regularly for Hajduk Split. Again, I don't watch them, but they are very likely better than the average MLS team, and we have holes right now at RB and CM, two positions he plays in. 

I think its funny, the two threads that keep bumping up are the Sigur and Farsi threads. Two guys that have vocalized that they DO NOT see themselves joining the CMNT.

I haven't bothered watching Sigur recently since he isn't joining Canada. But when i did, it was obvious he was playing as a #6 with Hajduk Split. Glancing through Fotmob, last 5 or 6 games were also as a midfielder.  He would very easily make this team and probably start.

He would rank behind Eustáquio and Kone but ahead of Osorio, Choinière, Piette, Fraser, Ahmed and Loturi. He would provide Eustáquio and Kone a chance to play more attackingly.

All this being said, he turns 21 in September and then all it takes is one cap to be tied to Croatia. And he is accepting any Croatian callup.

1 minute ago, blueseeka said:

I think its funny, the two threads that keep bumping up are the Sigur and Farsi threads. Two guys that have vocalized that they DO NOT see themselves joining the CMNT.

I haven't bothered watching Sigur recently since he isn't joining Canada. But when i did, it was obvious he was playing as a #6 with Hajduk Split. Glancing through Fotmob, last 5 or 6 games were also as a midfielder.  He would very easily make this team and probably start.

He would rank behind Eustáquio and Kone but ahead of Osorio, Choinière, Piette, Fraser, Ahmed and Loturi. He would provide Eustáquio and Kone a chance to play more attackingly.

All this being said, he turns 21 in September and then all it takes is one cap to be tied to Croatia. And he is accepting any Croatian callup.

This. He's good as gone and it's just a matter of time. I predict he will be officially gone before the World Cup. 

30 minutes ago, narduch said:

He probably isn't.

People in this thread pumping his tires though.

If this kid was one of or the best right back in the MLS at 20 would he not warrant a call-up? Hajduk Split is as good as any MLS team and would be one of the best teams in MLS. The fact he is even considered for Croatia’s senior team definitely means he’s good enough for Canada. While the Croatian league has a big disparity between the top and bottom teams, the top 3/4 teams would all be contenders in MLS, so considering the fact he plays for one of those 3/4 teams has to be viewed as if he was starring in the MLS.

Just now, AnonymousInsider said:

The fact he is even considered for Croatia’s senior team definitely means he’s good enough for Canada.

Lol. When the hell did that happen?

This forum has too much of a 'grass is always green / over-emphasis on youth'.

And yes, overall the competition is better in MLS than Croatia. 

This thread is wild to me.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Was on the injury reserve list for Croatia’s senior team recently.

Edit: here’s the link: https://hns.team/vijesti/27546/dalic-objavio-popis-igraca-za-w-cup-u-abu-dhabiju/

This was posted earlier in the thread.

Edited by AnonymousInsider

33 minutes ago, narduch said:

There is nothing wild about this thread, there are players who are significantly more unproven with dozens more pages. Niko is consistently starting in a highly respected league for a powerhouse team which has produced more top-level players than any single MLS club. Okay, MLS has a higher level of competition than most Euro leagues. What's relevant here is the club level, which is quite high

16 minutes ago, phresh said:

There is nothing wild about this thread, there are players who are significantly more unproven with dozens more pages. Niko is consistently starting in a highly respected league for a powerhouse team which has produced more top-level players than any single MLS club. Okay, MLS has a higher level of competition than most Euro leagues. What's relevant here is the club level, which is quite high

Highly respected league = hyperbole.

7 minutes ago, phresh said:

Slaven Bilic's home team. So okay by me.

Second behind Dynamo Zagreb in terms of European appearances. We were happy to beat Dinamo in the Europa League for Slaven.