Niko Sigur

nolando

"He was brought to the attention of the then sports director of Radomlj, a former employee of the Hajduk Academy, Andri Fistonić, by a Canadian Croat friend.

Sigur paid for the plane ticket and accommodation himself to come to Slovenia for the rehearsal. He satisfied the profession, stayed, but was not offered a contract. He then moved to Split with the help of Fistonić and Budimir."

https://slobodnadalmacija.hr/sport/hajduk/ovog-nema-ni-na-filmu-prije-dvije-godine-bio-je-bez-kluba-sam-je-platio-let-za-probu-sada-ce-igrati-za-hrvatsku-1369296

Makes you wonder how many guys wound up playing in district amateur leagues that could have made it this big but didn't know somebody with the necessary contacts over in Europe through their ethnic background and didn't have money to spare for an airfare to do a trial. Guess he turned 18 at a time when the Whitecaps didn't have a Next Pro team so there would be less danger now of him not remaining on the path to becoming a homegrown player with them. He'd also have a shot at one of the U-18 contracts that Vancouver FC can offer, if he were turning 18 this season.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

17 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Makes you wonder how many guys wound up playing in district amateur leagues that could have made it this big but didn't know somebody with the necessary contacts over in Europe through their ethnic background and didn't have money to spare for an airfare to do a trial. 

There's tons! 
This story if far too common, where some guy's have to simply hope that grades are good to go the NCAA - MLS route... which typically gets them lost in the sauce.

My Godson is 9yos, technically, skillfully, athletically really good one of the best at his age group right now... every top development club in the GTA raves and wants him in their program. His parents are just learning the sport. They say they want to send him to Holland, and I'm like are you all willing to move there? Was he legitimately scouted (no camp bs)? Did you apply for his UK passport through his grandparents (which ever since Brexit limits you to only the UK) that could possibly help? 

It's hard to make it out organically. Even Liam Millars story wasn't easy, but it was easier to make happen vs some other guys. 

So when it comes to selecting which country to represent, I kind of understand when guys leave Canada (like Niko) and are given their first professional opportunities in their ancestral countries. I understand there's sentiment/reason to commit to the ones who presented you with the lifestyle they were seeking.

4 hours ago, Buchta said:

"He was brought to the attention of the then sports director of Radomlj, a former employee of the Hajduk Academy, Andri Fistonić, by a Canadian Croat friend.

Sigur paid for the plane ticket and accommodation himself to come to Slovenia for the rehearsal. He satisfied the profession, stayed, but was not offered a contract. He then moved to Split with the help of Fistonić and Budimir."

https://slobodnadalmacija.hr/sport/hajduk/ovog-nema-ni-na-filmu-prije-dvije-godine-bio-je-bez-kluba-sam-je-platio-let-za-probu-sada-ce-igrati-za-hrvatsku-1369296

@blueseeka FWIW, I know the “Canadian Croat friend” personally and he believes Sigur will play for Canada eventually. 

There’s no chance he’s just “gone” at this stage. Maybe he will be but if we look at it realistically, the chances of a kid going from York to developing to be a Croatia MNT regular is very remote. 

As others have mentioned, it’s an extremely strong/tight culture so of course he’s drawn to Croatia but let’s not kid ourselves, the chance to play in the Copa America and in a home World Cup is realistic for him. Can you imagine the lifelong regret if he missed all that to be cynically cap-tied? This is a very very difficult decision and it needs to be made soon. Croatia knows this too, which is why they’re playing ball.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Makes you wonder how many guys wound up playing in district amateur leagues that could have made it this big but didn't know somebody with the necessary contacts over in Europe through their ethnic background and didn't have money to spare for an airfare to do a trial. Guess he turned 18 at a time when the Whitecaps didn't have a Next Pro team so there would be less danger now of him not remaining on the path to becoming a homegrown player with them. He'd also have a shot at one of the U-18 contracts that Vancouver FC can offer, if he were turning 18 this season.

I think he was still only 17 when the Whitecaps released him (a few months shy of his 18th birthday).  Apparently Hajduk paid Whitecaps for the 2 years he spent there.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Odd no one wants to ask why he was U-Sports eligible after playing pro in Serbia...

I thought each year as a pro cut eligibility by the same amount, though I  can’t totally recall but I believe Varsity Blues got in trouble with Tom Kouzmanis over “eligibility”

9 minutes ago, jordan said:

I thought each year as a pro cut eligibility by the same amount, though I  can’t totally recall but I believe Varsity Blues got in trouble with Tom Kouzmanis over “eligibility”

Now you got me thinking, if that was a factor. 

As I knew Srdjan and was in touch for many years (my son went to Whitecaps and UBC summer soccer camps he coached, then he coached at Kwantlen University in Richmond/Surrey, when they disbanded he went to Port Moody soccer club), I just understood from him that the pro contracts in Serbia at that time were not duly registered, there was no clear evidence of pro status. You were just paid, it was mostly under the table, semi-legal and verbal agreements. Maybe nowadays it would be different. Or maybe I am wrong.

He was starting keeper in Serbia top flight while still a teen, but at that time the post-war situation meant the overall league situation was severely weakened.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Shway said:

There's tons! 
This story if far too common, where some guy's have to simply hope that grades are good to go the NCAA - MLS route... which typically gets them lost in the sauce.

My Godson is 9yos, technically, skillfully, athletically really good one of the best at his age group right now... every top development club in the GTA raves and wants him in their program. His parents are just learning the sport. They say they want to send him to Holland, and I'm like are you all willing to move there? Was he legitimately scouted (no camp bs)? Did you apply for his UK passport through his grandparents (which ever since Brexit limits you to only the UK) that could possibly help? 

It's hard to make it out organically. Even Liam Millars story wasn't easy, but it was easier to make happen vs some other guys. 

So when it comes to selecting which country to represent, I kind of understand when guys leave Canada (like Niko) and are given their first professional opportunities in their ancestral countries. I understand there's sentiment/reason to commit to the ones who presented you with the lifestyle they were seeking.

Perhaps we don't have to fret too much, as you are suggesting, about these circumstances.

Even with far more pro options in Canada, there will still be kids going abroad, maybe to family roots, and finding their way into systems that are not ours. It happened before when there were hardly any options, even 15 years ago we did not even have MLS and 3 second tier pro clubs, and it will still happen with 11 pro teams and the clearer structure of L1, plus clearer paths in U-Sports to CPL. 

But we have to take heart with cases like Santiago Lopez, who chose us, or even Jesse Costa who did not have to, others with convenient and stronger potential national options. And not just kids, thinking of Ugbo. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Now you got me thinking, if that was a factor. 

As I knew Srdjan and was in touch for many years (my son went to Whitecaps and UBC summer soccer camps he coached, then he coached at Kwantlen University in Richmond/Surrey, when they disbanded he went to Port Moody soccer club), I just understood from him that the pro contracts in Serbia at that time were not duly registered, there was no clear evidence of pro status. You were just paid, it was mostly under the table, semi-legal and verbal agreements. Maybe nowadays it would be different. Or maybe I am wrong.

He was starting keeper in Serbia top flight while still a teen, but at that time the post-war situation meant the overall league situation was severely weakened.

I know nothing about this situation but google tells me that his team was in the second division from 99-03 where they got relegated for admin reasons. Srdjan played in 03 (im not sure if they were relegated at the start or end of the 03 season). 

He could very well have been playing 3rd division serbia which surely was not viewed as pro back in 2004 CIS. 

Edit: 

Whats more interesting is that he played ubc 05, usl whitecaps 06, tfc 07,  ubc 07, 08 whitecaps, 08 ubc. 

Edited by Bigandy

16 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I know nothing about this situation but google tells me that his team was in the second division from 99-03 where they got relegated for admin reasons. Srdjan played in 03 (im not sure if they were relegated at the start or end of the 03 season). 

He could very well have been playing 3rd division serbia which surely was not viewed as pro back in 2004 CIS. 

He played for Radnički Obrenovac.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/radnicki-obrenovac/transfers/verein/4661/saison_id/2002

They were in top flight in the Serbia and Montenegro league in 2002-03, and relegated the following season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–03_First_League_of_Serbia_and_Montenegro

I think it was actually a loan from another club there, two seasons. He could explain more about why he was in Croatia, then Serbia, at that early time.

Then he returned to BC. Played amateur. Played Whitecaps in USL, was at UBC, in between ended up playing for TFC and Impact. Retired for personal health considerations early.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He played for Radnički Obrenovac.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/radnicki-obrenovac/transfers/verein/4661/saison_id/2002

They were in top flight in the Serbia and Montenegro league in 2002-03, and relegated the following season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–03_First_League_of_Serbia_and_Montenegro

I think it was actually a loan there, two seasons. Then he returned to BC.

wikipedia says he has zero appearances in 2003 with radnicki and has 34 appearances in 2003 dor zeleznicar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srdjan_Djekanović

Obviously you know way more so im not debating your knowledge over mine. Just providing the source of my google. 

16 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

wikipedia says he has zero appearances in 2003 with radnicki and has 34 appearances in 2003 dor zeleznicar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srdjan_Djekanović

Obviously you know way more so im not debating your knowledge over mine. Just providing the source of my google. 

I could be wrong. I haven't spoken to him since shortly after he retired, maybe over 10 years. He's a good guy, I still have a TFC keepers shirt, a black one with his name on it, he gave me. 

I think on the old Network 54, the previous board to this, I reported on his games, I was pretty sure he was playing in 2002-03. So I'd have to go back and dig around. Maybe he was a sub.

The point I was making is that he was on a pro contract, in what was technically the last year of the old Yugoslav league, and that was not a factor to impede him from playing U-Sports later.

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=248575&encode=TRUE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Molloy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorleifur_Úlfarsson

Three guys who played pro before going NCAA (but you can't if you played in the CHL). My only explanation is that CIS is bullshit as NCAA, don't try to find a logic.

Willander wasn't under a professional contract when he played his pro games (I assume he was unpaid) so he found a way to keep his amateur status to play NCAA. USports (at least in terms of hockey, as that is what I'm familiar with) doesn't care that you had professional status, you are just ineligible to play USports for a calendar year from the date of your last professional game as far as I am aware of (some also received waivers to waive the year wait due to the circumstances surrounding covid). There are many players who play in the CHL who attempt to go pro with ECHL or AHL contracts, who return to USports before their education package they got from the CHL expires.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/60843/mike-danton - Played in the NHL, went to prison, came back to play USports.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/46502/mikkel-aagaard - split time between the ECHL and AHL, went back to USports

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/620321/artyom-duda - 2022 2nd round NHL draft pick joined TMU halfway through this season after playing in the KHL last year

For soccer, I know Quillan Roberts had to wait out half the soccer season before being eligible for York after leaving TFC/TFC II the year prior

Edited by jdcyantsis

3 minutes ago, jdcyantsis said:

Willander wasn't under a professional contract when he played his pro games (I assume he was unpaid) so he found a way to keep his amateur status to play NCAA. USports (at least in terms of hockey, as that is what I'm familiar with) doesn't care that you had professional status, you are just ineligible to play USports for a calendar year from the date of your last professional game as far as I am aware of (some also received waivers to waive the year wait due to the circumstances surrounding covid). There are many players who play in the CHL who attempt to go pro with ECHL or AHL contracts, who return to USports before their education package they got from the CHL expires.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/60843/mike-danton - Played in the NHL, went to prison, came back to play USports.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/46502/mikkel-aagaard - split time between the ECHL and AHL, went back to USports

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/620321/artyom-duda - 2022 2nd round NHL draft pick joined TMU halfway through this season after playing in the KHL last year

For soccer, I know Quillan Roberts had to wait out half the soccer season before being eligible for York after leaving TFC/TFC II the year prior

So U-Sports, even back when, did not have any restriction against being a former pro apart from having to sit out a year? I was under the impression there were similar rules to NCAA, so I guess I was mistaken. 

I think NCAA allows PDL, for example, and a contract can include some remuneration, like for expenses, but I am not sure what the limits are.

26 minutes ago, jdcyantsis said:

Thanks for the explanations. Still pretty dumb imo... 

Not sure if the U Sport rules differ for soccer and hockey, but for soccer, any season playing professionally counts towards eligibility.  I know one guy who spent two seasons in CPL, has played three seasons in U Sport, and in no longer eligible.

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So U-Sports, even back when, did not have any restriction against being a former pro apart from having to sit out a year? I was under the impression there were similar rules to NCAA, so I guess I was mistaken. 

I think NCAA allows PDL, for example, and a contract can include some remuneration, like for expenses, but I am not sure what the limits are.

NCAA does allow PDL/USL 2. From my experience, NCAA is the strictest (but also the most BS to get around rules), CIS has some rules but the guidelines are pretty relaxed, college is a free for all.

Ive seen tons of ineligble (academically) guys somehow magically play in college programs, recruiting 30 year old players etc etc.  

I could be wrong. I haven't spoken to him since shortly after he retired, maybe over 10 years. He's a good guy, I still have a TFC keepers shirt, a black one with his name on it, he gave me. 

I think on the old Network 54, the previous board to this, I reported on his games, I was pretty sure he was playing in 2002-03. So I'd have to go back and dig around. Maybe he was a sub.

The point I was making is that he was on a pro contract, in what was technically the last year of the old Yugoslav league, and that was not a factor to impede him from playing U-Sports later.

With TFC, I remember Srdjan leading the league in time wasting yellow cards 

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

With TFC, I remember Srdjan leading the league in time wasting yellow cards 

Good one. I think he was, for a time, the keeper with the best overall GA in TFC history. Ok, it was like 8 games, but I think his record was quite good for that short sample. 

He was short and slight, but very technical, not the kind of keeper that usually succeeds in the North American context.

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So U-Sports, even back when, did not have any restriction against being a former pro apart from having to sit out a year?

I'm not sure how it was treated way back when, I only know about these because they happened around my time in university and thereafter

30 minutes ago, Protega said:

Not sure if the U Sport rules differ for soccer and hockey, but for soccer, any season playing professionally counts towards eligibility.  I know one guy who spent two seasons in CPL, has played three seasons in U Sport, and in no longer eligible.

I have no idea how they decide to calculate eligibility so it might be the same case. Checking Aagaard's athlete bio page on Guelph's website, it appears that his eligibility was calculated the same way.

Good one. I think he was, for a time, the keeper with the best overall GA in TFC history. Ok, it was like 8 games, but I think his record was quite good for that short sample. 

He was short and slight, but very technical, not the kind of keeper that usually succeeds in the North American context.

I was at a soccer event last year and thought I recognized this one guy with a very distinctive and friendly face, but I couldn't place him. It went on for an hour like this, and it was driving me crazy. I finally asked a former MNT player to tell me who the guy was and he laughed, saying he also had been trying to place him for the last hour. The legend of Srdjan.