Niko Sigur

nolando

Canadian national team has only been good recently. It's different then England or France  FA 

Where any duals wanna play for England vs there parents country if orgin first . If they can't make England then play Nigeria, Ghana, us etc.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Got the highest rating for Hajduk in their 1-0 win over Rudes. He was apparently playing as one of the double pivots in a 4 2 3 1. How does the Croatian top league compare to MLS?   Saliba is 19,  1 yr younger than Sigur.

From a top - bottom league perspective, I think MLS is better.  But he's playing in Hajduk Split, along with Dinamo it's a very high level with big pressure and expectation.  The fact that he's cemented his place at this age is massive.  If I had to guess, he'll be up for a move this summer.

Edited by Footyeh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Buchta said:

He has been called up to the Croatian 'stand by list' for matches later this month in UAE vs Tunisia and Egypt/New Zealand.

https://hns.team/vijesti/27546/dalic-objavio-popis-igraca-za-w-cup-u-abu-dhabiju/

What position is he considered? CDM or RB?

I think we’re making a push for him (among others) and that’s why our roster is only 57 and probably why Croatia has called him to their standby squad. Looking at the others, they have much higher pedigrees.
The Copa America is a serious card to play. 

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think we’re making a push for him (among others) and that’s why our roster is only 57 and probably why Croatia has called him to their standby squad. Looking at the others, they have much higher pedigrees.

He has made it obvious he is only interested in Croatia. Croatia has no worries about him leaving. He is good enough to make their national team now.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I hope so. This implies the player has to accept being put on the roster or else we wouldve just put his name down as number 58. 

If true we have 3 duals we are chasing to fill the 60. 
1. sigur
2. Koloeosho?
3. Jebbison? 

with 2 injured, that seems strange to save a spot for them because they obviously cannot play before march. Any other duals we can think of? 

50 minutes ago, nolando said:

He's the posterboy for the urgent need for more pathways in this country.

I believe the pathways have been created. 
We need camps and international tournaments that we need to have/be in. 

The 2018 Toulon tournament we had 5 players who are now active senior NT players. 
Our friendly when we beat England U20 in 2016 had Davies, Fraser and Godinho, while England had Rashford, Greenwood, Winks, and Tomori*

Some players will be promising and continue to the next level, while some players will simply fade out...the point is they got a look and were apart of the program at some point.

4 hours ago, blueseeka said:

He has made it obvious he is only interested in Croatia. Croatia has no worries about him leaving. He is good enough to make their national team now.

He’s not good enough for Croatia, let’s be real - he’s arguably not even good enough for our main team. If Croatia wasn’t worried about him leaving he wouldn’t be on their “stand by” squad. I don’t think it’s a “worry” so much as it is strategic thinking. Croatia’s main squad plays in major leagues but they always like to sprinkle in some domestic content - so why not a player that is eligible for another country? Win-win for them. 

They’re playing a friendly - there is no need for a standby squad to begin with. 

To the point of players like Sigur and Mitrovic it really gives you an idea about the type of talent CPL squads can recruit in their own backyard and turn for $.

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I hope so. This implies the player has to accept being put on the roster or else we wouldve just put his name down as number 58. 

If true we have 3 duals we are chasing to fill the 60. 
1. sigur
2. Koloeosho?
3. Jebbison? 

with 2 injured, that seems strange to save a spot for them because they obviously cannot play before march. Any other duals we can think of? 

Farsi instead of Koleosho - I think he’s gone. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He’s not good enough for Croatia, let’s be real - he’s arguably not even good enough for our main team. If Croatia wasn’t worried about him leaving he wouldn’t be on their “stand by” squad. I don’t think it’s a “worry” so much as it is strategic thinking. Croatia’s main squad plays in major leagues but they always like to sprinkle in some domestic content - so why not a player that is eligible for another country? Win-win for them. 

They’re playing a friendly - there is no need for a standby squad to begin with. 

To the point of players like Sigur and Mitrovic it really gives you an idea about the type of talent CPL squads can recruit in their own backyard and turn for $.

Friendly reminder : Hajduk won the Cup last year and are in the race title this season. This guy is for real. Way ahead of Farsi. 

Edited by MauditYvon

Don’t think more pathways would’ve caught this kid. You don’t play U-Sports if you’re a serious prospect, and IIRC he dropped out and went to Slovenia to play, another place you don’t go if you’re a serious prospect. I think by the time he became good enough to be considered he was already with Split. Mitrovic was a player we should’ve caught because he did play for TFC (III?) and tried out for the CPL, but Sigur’s path is so non-traditional and his soccer ties to Canada have never really existed, so unless the CPL can become a top 20 worldwide league, I don’t think there’s a scenario where we win him over. 

43 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Don’t think more pathways would’ve caught this kid. You don’t play U-Sports if you’re a serious prospect, and IIRC he dropped out and went to Slovenia to play, another place you don’t go if you’re a serious prospect. I think by the time he became good enough to be considered he was already with Split. Mitrovic was a player we should’ve caught because he did play for TFC (III?) and tried out for the CPL, but Sigur’s path is so non-traditional and his soccer ties to Canada have never really existed, so unless the CPL can become a top 20 worldwide league, I don’t think there’s a scenario where we win him over. 

I was going to say something similar. This is a case where you just have to tip your hat to the player and be impressed with his rise. It's similar to Tajon.

This guy played for Vaughan. A team that has produced quite a few national team players. He didn't get missed by the CSA, he just went on a trajectory that noone could have predicted.

16 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I was going to say something similar. This is a case where you just have to tip your hat to the player and be impressed with his rise. It's similar to Tajon.

This guy played for Vaughan. A team that has produced quite a few national team players. He didn't get missed by the CSA, he just went on a trajectory that noone could have predicted.

That’s another good point. If you play for Vaughan, you’re being showcased to the right eyes that will get you on the Canada radar if you’re good enough.

I’m sure other countries have similar stories- player plays in a very low tier, takes his chances abroad in an obscure league, grows, gets courted by his second nationality, and the rest is history. 

My sense is that if we had “better pathways”, Sigur would’ve ended up playing in the CPL, then he’d have gotten sold to Split and we’d be in the exact same situation as we are today.