Niko Sigur

nolando

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

With how quickly it’s developing and how beautiful the country is, I’m surprised that Croatia is meant to lose population through to 2050. I‘ve heard of quite a few people whose families left the Balkans a few decades ago, only for the children to return once they have their education and some work experience. I know Croatia has this visa that allows you to move there for work (remotely?) relatively easy. I also met quite a few people in Serbia who were either born abroad or left very young only to return in their early 20s to come work, but I think many more people leave on aggregate from there. 

Speaking of Croatian attendance though, some YouTube video that I stumbled upon yesterday was about this guy going to his first Split/Zagreb derby, hyping it up as one of the most intense matches in Europe, and when it got to the part where the game was going on, there were so many empty seats. One of the stands looked completely closed off. It was a regular season game, one from last month (Sigur played!), but was surprised the stadium wasn’t completely filled. 

Emigration is not the only problem for Croatia. I guess that, like Canada and other Western nations, the low birth rate is also a problem. It has dropped below replacement numbers. It's almost a truism as you raise the living standard you predictably lower the birth rate.

Edited by Sal333

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

With how quickly it’s developing and how beautiful the country is, I’m surprised that Croatia is meant to lose population through to 2050. I‘ve heard of quite a few people whose families left the Balkans a few decades ago, only for the children to return once they have their education and some work experience. I know Croatia has this visa that allows you to move there for work (remotely?) relatively easy. I also met quite a few people in Serbia who were either born abroad or left very young only to return in their early 20s to come work, but I think many more people leave on aggregate from there. 

Speaking of Croatian attendance though, some YouTube video that I stumbled upon yesterday was about this guy going to his first Split/Zagreb derby, hyping it up as one of the most intense matches in Europe, and when it got to the part where the game was going on, there were so many empty seats. One of the stands looked completely closed off. It was a regular season game, one from last month (Sigur played!), but was surprised the stadium wasn’t completely filled. 

I was there this summer with my wife and Croatian friend on a sailing trip.   It is a beautiful country. There are definitely people who have returned and many of those have been the ones opening restaurants / boutique hotels etc with the cash they earned abroad.  I have been on holiday a few times over the last 20 or so years and the quality of the tourism infrastructure has improved dramatically. It used to be cheap and a beautiful setting with mediocre food and poor wine.  Now the food is great and the wine is at international standards. 

that being said, there is little work to do for people beyond the tourism season so many leave in the off season to work elsewhere.  And there is a labour shortage which is why there has been a spike in immigration for menial jobs and the like.  Also, I suspect a big chunk of that number quoted above is retirees from Northern Europe and North America as well as digital nomads.  

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Like I said earlier that stand has been closed off for a few years now as it's falling apart. In most other countries the whole stadium(Maksimir) would probably be condemned.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Emigration is not the only problem for Croatia. I guess that, like Canada and other Western nations, the low birth rate is also a problem. It has dropped below replacement numbers. It's almost a truism as you raise the living standard you predictably lower the birth rate.

Depends on what you consider the Western World but Japan, Korea and China are all going to experience catastrophic population calapse very soon. Probably 10 - 20 years. Not to derail but it's actually a pretty fascinating topic that is very real and doesn't get much ink. It also has a lot to do with culture and values changing coupled with high cost of living. I've read estimates that China have 8 million empty homes because they just don't have anyone to put in them. In some cases it might be for the best

Edited by SpursFlu

40 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Depends on what you consider the Western World but Japan, Korea and China are all going to experience catastrophic population calapse very soon. Probably 10 - 20 years. Not to derail but it's actually a pretty fascinating topic that is very real and doesn't get much ink. It also has a lot to do with culture and values changing coupled with high cost of living. I've read estimates that China have 8 million empty homes because they just don't have anyone to put in them. In some cases it might be for the best

Maybe I should have said developed world.

''Rino has repeatedly said that Sigur will not be on the back.''

''Sigur one of the best players of the league.''

''Sigur is great.''

''Sigur reacted very well when he was subbed in and I expect him soon to be at the starting eleven when he'll at 100% physically. Sigur will find his place in the starting eleven.''

''Sigur, Prpić and Hrgović after the goal for 4:1. The future together in the field.''

"Now that Sigur is ready, I think the time has finally come for Kalika to move on the bench. If his pressing behind Livaya matters, Krovinovic can play it. Sigur with Rakitic.''

''My opinion is that Sigur should be at the back, he's the backbone of the defence.''

''Sigur is also better than Moufi.''

1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

''Rino has repeatedly said that Sigur will not be on the back.''

''Sigur one of the best players of the league.''

''Sigur is great.''

''Sigur reacted very well when he was subbed in and I expect him soon to be at the starting eleven when he'll at 100% physically. Sigur will find his place in the starting eleven.''

''Sigur, Prpić and Hrgović after the goal for 4:1. The future together in the field.''

"Now that Sigur is ready, I think the time has finally come for Kalika to move on the bench. If his pressing behind Livaya matters, Krovinovic can play it. Sigur with Rakitic.''

''My opinion is that Sigur should be at the back, he's the backbone of the defence.''

''Sigur is also better than Moufi.''

Are these quotes from Hajduk Split fans?

On 9/22/2024 at 2:54 PM, InglewoodJack said:

I think Serbia is increasingly becoming a one club league with Red Star having pulled far ahead over the last 5 years. As it stands, their current roster value is about €78M compared to Partizan’s €29M, much more comparable to Bačka Topola at €28M for example...

Had noticed that trend as well in recent seasons. Partizan fans are boycotting home games apparently:

• 2 weeks later...

The answer from Gennaro Gattuso when asked about Sigur's call to the CMNT.

- I spoke with Niko this morning. He rises in the game. He was without training for a while. He got completely into the rhythm and I'm happy for him. As a coach, I am glad that he is called to the national team, he is a player of great quality. Others will be invited. There are no fixed positions, the level of the entire team has risen. Everyone is preparing well, I want to see positive faces and that they respect each other. Choosing 11 is not easy, but it makes me happy when I have good substitutes. Everyone who enters can give something good. Some may not be happy not to play, but I have to make choices.

10 minutes ago, to70 said:

The answer from Gennaro Gattuso when asked about Sigur's call to the CMNT.

- I spoke with Niko this morning. He rises in the game. He was without training for a while. He got completely into the rhythm and I'm happy for him. As a coach, I am glad that he is called to the national team, he is a player of great quality. Others will be invited. There are no fixed positions, the level of the entire team has risen. Everyone is preparing well, I want to see positive faces and that they respect each other. Choosing 11 is not easy, but it makes me happy when I have good substitutes. Everyone who enters can give something good. Some may not be happy not to play, but I have to make choices.

I heard that Gattuso's wife is Canadian... Is this true? Or it's untrue?

3 hours ago, to70 said:

Wikipedia says that she's Scottish, but if I remember correctly he might have been seen in Woodbridge a  couple  of summers ago. I'll have to ask some of my Italian acquantaneces from there.

I heard also that Gattuso went once to Laval back in the days. 

1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

Played as a right wing at the Canada Soccer practice. Was with team red (starting lineup?).

The boy can shoot. It seems like he played that position all his life.

20241009_182439.thumb.jpg.66890a3683d0444ac1a3769308356d31.jpg

He looked very impressive and comfortable on the wing, one of the standouts for me from the open practice. Tani looked like a freak of nature out there with his size and speed and of the new callups Lopez really impressed me with his poise and playmaking. Seeing them out there last night made it even more obvious how great it would be to have a friendly with the fringe guys to show what they've got.

On 10/5/2024 at 9:03 AM, ahmedou said:

I heard that Gattuso's wife is Canadian... Is this true? Or it's untrue?

Scottish of Italian descent.

The Scots have had a huge influence on Canadian history so you could say she is an honorary Canuck.