Niko Sigur

nolando

1 hour ago, frattinator said:

- Sigur's switch to Canada started during the Biello's time in charge in Oct 2023.....

- At the end, Sigur felt deep in his heart how close he was to Canada: "“How good a life Canada has given me and my family,” Sigur said when asked why he switched to Canada. “When I was in Croatia, that’s when I really realized how Canadian I was and the values and the morals I hold.”

Biello doing a good job making contact with young players. LDF and Sigur. Wonder if Sigur & his dad were pissed with JH re "F Croatia". I do think our performances at Copa was a big factor and hopefully will play a part with other duals now.  The last quote from Sigur  when he was in Croatia and realizing how Canadian he was, is great to hear and is something I'm sure most Cdn kids born & raised here would feel. They just don't say it when they commit to other nations. If he is even a Kante light, he's going to be perfect for Marsch's style. 

2 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

He all pooped on Biello for his coaching during the Jamaica home game and his RIP memorial for Hoillet, Borjan and Vitoria.

But it is so obvious that he does a great job with all these young players. He really has been an unsung hero during this run.

No doubt. In addition to Biello though I think in Sigur's case the fact that Isacco was involved in the CANMNT camp at that time was also hugely beneficial, given their prior experiences together with York University and Vaughn Azzurri. So I'm glad to see this rotation of domestic coaches in the national team setup, because who knows what kind of prior or future relationship a Mauro Eustaqiou (or others) may have with a future young, talented dual-national. 

On 9/6/2024 at 8:52 PM, PastPros said:

"Tore a quad" and working back to full fitness (which we know).

Assume we won't see him play for Canada anytime soon? Quad tear is pretty serious, no?

Completely dependent on degree of severity - Grade 1 (few muscle fibres torn) is like a 2 week recovery vs. Grade 3 (complete tear) which is like 3 months.  Appears he's closer to Grade 1, since he's out there training with no apparent issues, but who knows?... 

4 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I thought he had recovered from his injury. He only missed two games and was back with his team, playing 14 minutes off the bench last weekend.

This is what I thought as well. Maybe Hajduk wants him to play in only one game. 

There will probably be heavy rotation for the 2nd game. I would be shocked if he does not play!

I appreciate the fact that he played for Croatia's youth team and he is technically a dual national but I would like for the media to stop emphasizing the dual national thing. After hearing the kids story.. played all his youth soccer in Canada, grandparents came to Canada nearly 70 years ago, doesn't speak Croatian, all the Croatian guys were giving him a hard time during the World Cup. I'm pretty sure every single player on Canada and in our youth system and basically everyone in Canada is technically a dual national