Niko Sigur

nolando

33 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How about the legacy of all the traditional regional languages like Sicilian and Neapolitan though? Can think of surnames that are often pronounced significantly differently between Scotland and England for that sort of reason and even some Scottish names that changed spelling back in the 1800s to make them fit English language norms but still get pronounced the old traditional way by a lot of people.

I did say the Italian language.

But Sicilian and Neapolitan are also written phonetically. You may be confused by the fact that the vocabulary and grammar of the regional languages are not the same as "official" Italian. For instance, Sorrento is an Italian construction. In Neapolitan it is written and pronounced as Surriento. Another example is Naples itself. In Italian it is Napoli. In Neapolitan it is Napule. I know this because of my parents. Although they were not Neapolitan, they did come from a region that bordered Naples and was heavily influenced by it. In our house, Naples was our capital, not Rome.

On a personal note. I grew up speaking Neapolitan and learned "official" Italian at Sunday school. In my old age I have a great fondness for Neapolitan. I love the sound of it. The official Italian grates on my nerves. I detest it.

Edited by Sal333

He came on (excuse me if this is off topic) m 72 to hold down the midfield beside a certain Ivan Rakitic, as they beat Osijek 1-0.

Think having Rakitic as a mentor in the DM and leader is extraordinary, what a great player and person. He even renounced his fat contract in Saudi Arabia to return to Croatia.

56 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He came on (excuse me if this is off topic) m 72 to hold down the midfield beside a certain Ivan Rakitic, as they beat Osijek 1-0.

Think having Rakitic as a mentor in the DM and leader is extraordinary, what a great player and person. He even renounced his fat contract in Saudi Arabia to return to Croatia.

Yeah that's pretty solid, doesn't Ivan also speak nine languages and was going to be an architect if footy didn't work out? That's sick.

9 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Yeah that's pretty solid, doesn't Ivan also speak nine languages and was going to be an architect if footy didn't work out? That's sick.

His Spanish is Andalusian, for the time he spent in Sevilla, I think his wife is from Sevilla as well. There was a story that she was working as a waitress in the hotel when he went to sign his first contract, and they hooked up. 

Rakitic was in Sevilla a few years, went to Barça for half a decade, then went back to Sevilla to please his wife.  

The guy was a top professional, amongst the best foreigners to play for Barcelona in terms of integrity and honesty and hard work (I like to mention Phillip Cocu, so under-appreciated). Another thing few know is that he was eligible for Switzerland and was in their youth system, born there, which partially explains his multiple languages.

For me, there are few experienced DMs of that level you could do better learning from. I also like that Niko is around guys who have had big careers abroad and he will learn about managing that if opportunities arise.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't want to detract from the scale of the achievement but I assume four of those would be Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian and Montenegrin?

German, English, Italian, French, Croatian, Spanish, Catalan and, if the statement is right, two more.

But I think actually he just speaks those 7. He didn't live in Croatia as a kid so would not have had a chance to pick up other Balkan languages. 

43 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't want to detract from the scale of the achievement but I assume four of those would be Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian and Montenegrin?

Yup. You can also muddle through understanding Slovenian and Macedonian. 

Plus English makes 7 languages. 

A long time ago, on my CV I used to say that I spoke all of those languages. Most people here don't know that the 1st 4 are different dialects of the same language. 😋

On 9/2/2024 at 1:01 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

German, English, Italian, French, Croatian, Spanish, Catalan and, if the statement is right, two more.

But I think actually he just speaks those 7. He didn't live in Croatia as a kid so would not have had a chance to pick up other Balkan languages. 

Wikipedia says he speaks all Of those languages except for Catalan, but maybe he speaks that too.

If he grew up in Switzerland, I’d be surprised if he didn’t pick up on any other Balkan languages. He could definitely tell apart Croatian/serbian/Bosnian, and likely Montenegrin at least. I know the other ones are relatively more different though. I think if you speak that language, you at least have a base understanding of Slovenian too.

On 8/30/2024 at 4:15 PM, Sal333 said:

Your experience tells me the people you were listening to were not native Italian speakers.

Here's a video you can watch so you will know who if any is pronouncing it properly.

I missed this- not to derail this thread too much (kinda like I’m doing now)- but one of the people I had in mind had parents from Italy, so I assume they spoke Italian at home, but pronounced the last syllable of their name -cchia as Kia. That said, I noticed growing up that a lot of people just kinda adopted whatever pronunciation other people would give them. Went to school with a few Petrovic, they were always Petrovik, just like any Croatian/Serbian families here went by. I feel like people really started making more of an effort to pronounce surnames properly over the last 10 or so years.

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I missed this- not to derail this thread too much (kinda like I’m doing now)- but one of the people I had in mind had parents from Italy, so I assume they spoke Italian at home, but pronounced the last syllable of their name -cchia as Kia. That said, I noticed growing up that a lot of people just kinda adopted whatever pronunciation other people would give them. Went to school with a few Petrovic, they were always Petrovik, just like any Croatian/Serbian families here went by. I feel like people really started making more of an effort to pronounce surnames properly over the last 10 or so years.

They were pronouncing it properly.

15 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The highly promising trio of Kone, Saliba and Sigur is one I look forward to watching for the next 10 years.

The midfield looks much deeper than it did a year ago. 

Still wish we had of gotten Morris but now we wait for the next one.

It’s pretty crazy how after the World Cup, our concerns were CB and MF, and now our two starting CBs are in Ligue 1, and while MF isn’t as assured, Kone took a big step up to Ligue 1, Choiniere moved to Europe, and guys like Sigur and Saliba are coming forward. Quite the dramatic shift to maybe Striker being the area of concern with Larin struggling (though we’ve got a plethora of options there too)

8 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

It’s pretty crazy how after the World Cup, our concerns were CB and MF, and now our two starting CBs are in Ligue 1, and while MF isn’t as assured, Kone took a big step up to Ligue 1, Choiniere moved to Europe, and guys like Sigur and Saliba are coming forward. Quite the dramatic shift to maybe Striker being the area of concern with Larin struggling (though we’ve got a plethora of options there too)

I think in general across the board we have very solid players in each position, and the backups for the most part. I think now we just wait and see if some can make a jump to becoming elite/world class players, and which young guys can come up in the coming years too. Very solid base now

Joshua Kloke had a pretty neat profile of Sigur on The Athletic today for those of you who have a subscription: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5749410/2024/09/06/canada-sigur-croatia-midfield-marsch/

A couple of interesting tidbits that I didn't know:

- Carmine Isacco was alerted to him because of a former York University Assistant Coach (Mario Kovacevic) who left for med school and was completing his residency in Vancouver played with Sigur on a local men's team (Croatia SC) and saw something special in Sigur. It just reinforces the large gaps we still have in young player development and identification that young national team players are missed when they are 16.

- Isacco compared him to Kante: "Sigur reminded Isacco of one of the great workers in the game this century: N’Golo Kante. A lot of players don’t have those last steps. Kante, he has those steps to finish tackles, to finish actions. So when Sigur got (the ball) he made sure people were getting forward,” Isacco said."

- Sigur's switch to Canada started during the Biello's time in charge in Oct 2023, with his father meeting Biello and Isacco to discuss Sigur's future. His father was worried about his professional future in Croatia if Sigur switched to Canada. 

- With Sigur being left off the Croatia Euro squad, the window opened for Marsch to pitch to Sigur on Canada, specifically on Canada's results in Copa, and the lack of depth in the central midfield position. 

- At the end, Sigur felt deep in his heart how close he was to Canada: "“How good a life Canada has given me and my family,” Sigur said when asked why he switched to Canada. “When I was in Croatia, that’s when I really realized how Canadian I was and the values and the morals I hold.”

53 minutes ago, frattinator said:

. “When I was in Croatia, that’s when I really realized how Canadian I was and the values and the morals I hold.”

That’s my prime minister 

Now that he’s acknowledged the political ramifications of playing for Canada while playing in Croatia, when do the Sigur transfer rumours kick off?

3 hours ago, frattinator said:

- Sigur's switch to Canada started during the Biello's time in charge in Oct 2023, with his father meeting Biello and Isacco to discuss Sigur's future. His father was worried about his professional future in Croatia if Sigur switched to Canada. 

- With Sigur being left off the Croatia Euro squad, the window opened for Marsch to pitch to Sigur on Canada, specifically on Canada's results in Copa, and the lack of depth in the central midfield position.

We all pooped on Biello for his coaching during the Jamaica home game and his RIP memorial for Hoillet, Borjan and Vitoria.

But it is so obvious that he does a great job with all these young players. He really has been an unsung hero during this run.

Edited by blueseeka