Niko Sigur

nolando

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No idea why there would be so much confusion over how to pronounce the letter i in a Croatian name. Check out this instruction video from North Korea where the greatest ever Croat was concerned:

Tito as the diminutive singer clearly demonstrates in this clip is pronounced Tee-toh.

I think it's pronounced TIH-toh.

14 hours ago, costarg said:

You guys neeeeeed to go see this guy: Itsbobbyfinn.

As someone who spoke Italian (and French) for the first 6 years of my life, it was a shock to be introduced to English and its nonsensical written phonetics.  Italian you read it as it is written ALL THE FUCKING TIME. French most of the time. English hardly ever. I can empathize with the character in that clip.

32 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

As someone who spoke Italian (and French) for the first 6 years of my life, it was a shock to be introduced to English and its nonsensical written phonetics.  Italian you read it as it is written ALL THE FUCKING TIME. French most of the time. English hardly ever. I can empathize with the character in that clip.

Lies! I have heard at least 3 different ways to pronounce the “-cci” as a syllable in Italian surnames!! 

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Lies! I have heard at least 3 different ways to pronounce the “-cci” as a syllable in Italian surnames!! 

Your experience tells me the people you were listening to were not native Italian speakers.

Here's a video you can watch so you will know who if any is pronouncing it properly.

9 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I remember someone describing reading French as you read the start of the word and just ignore the last few letters. Seems pretty spot on with my limited French knowledge.

10 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Italian is a simple language and you are correct, it’s easy to pronounce from the written.  Some speculate though that the reason Italians have so many hand gestures and facial expressions to emphasise the language is because it’s so simple and doesn’t have the complexity of say French or German in order to express oneself fully through verbal means. Who knows if that is right or wrong but it’s definitely the easiest language I have ever tried to learn (others I speak some or learned a bit like French, Spanish, Dutch, Cantonese or Mandarin are all much harder). 

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

Italian is a simple language and you are correct, it’s easy to pronounce from the written.  Some speculate though that the reason Italians have so many hand gestures and facial expressions to emphasise the language is because it’s so simple and doesn’t have the complexity of say French or German in order to express oneself fully through verbal means. Who knows if that is right or wrong but it’s definitely the easiest language I have ever tried to learn (others I speak some or learned a bit like French, Spanish, Dutch, Cantonese or Mandarin are all much harder). 

Italian is definitely easier to learn, yet provides so much more flexibility and preciseness (even without the hand gestures) on top of being more eloquent and logical than any others I've had to learn.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

I remember someone describing reading French as you read the start of the word and just ignore the last few letters. Seems pretty spot on with my limited French knowledge.

It's kind of like pronouncing words in a lot of English accents. 

Although there you sometimes pronounced the first sound, barely mumble through the middle and say the end. 

Like Worcestershire sauce = Wo---ster sauce

But in a football context 

A player like (James) Garner, sounds like his name ends in a vowel and therefore maybe an Italian import. 

Edit: Another from the game today 

Mill"a" (ie. Millar) is very similar to the German Mehlem who plays beside him.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

18 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Your experience tells me the people you were listening to were not native Italian speakers...

How about the legacy of all the traditional regional languages like Sicilian and Neapolitan though? Can think of surnames that are often pronounced significantly differently between Scotland and England for that sort of reason and even some Scottish names that changed spelling back in the 1800s to make them fit English language norms but still get pronounced the old traditional way by a lot of people.